July 28, 2009

GRRRRR - Teenagers

Why is it so hard to get them to do the simplest things? Why?

He knows that he is supposed to clean the kitchen after dinner. The definition of after dinner to me is – immediately after dinner. The definition of after dinner to him is whenever he feels like it after dinner. This makes me absolutely nuts.

Once again, last night, before I crawled into bed at a shockingly late 10:30 – I reminded him that the dishes needed to be done and I needed his signature on two papers that I need to send back to the school before the end of the week. I informed him in no uncertain terms that if the kitchen wasn’t clean when I got up in the morning I would drag him out of bed by his ears and he would do it before I let for work.

Well guess what vision greeted me as I stumbled into the kitchen for a much needed cup of coffee? Yup. A mountain of dishes and two unsigned forms. This is my biggest pet peeve – I want my kitchen clean when I get up in the morning. Granted, it would be easier for me to clean my kitchen every evening – and would be done correctly. But I am trying to teach this kid of mine responsibility and all that jazz. Besides, I’m a firm believer in chores. He lives in the house, he is fed, clothed, loved, etc. He is part of the family and as such, should pitch in. He doesn’t have too many chores. He is to clean the kitchen, do his laundry, clean his room & bathroom and help take out the trash & recycling. This is not a lot to ask from a 14 ½ year old - especially one who is home all day long during the summer.

Hubby growled, “You oughta take away the computer or something.” I might point out that hubby is not the disciplinarian in our house. Never has been, never will be. So I told him to wake the boy up and get him down here as that was the deal. Why should I have to do all the disciplining around here? After 14 1/2 years it gets old being the Mean Parent. Naturally, hubby didn’t.

I took my coffee and paper out to the back porch and decided I’d deal with it after I had a shot or two of caffiene. I’m not a morning person and after staying up to the ungodly hour of 10:30 I was a little more cranky than usual.

In the end, I decided I was not up to listening to bitching and moaning that early in the morning. So I got dressed for work and as I was walking out the door – I hid the computer.

I’m sure I’ll be getting a panicked phone call soon and a nomination for the Meanest Mom award – which I will display proudly on my mantle should I win.

Mothers of teenagers know why some animals eat their young.

Angie

Adolescence is perhaps nature's way of preparing parents to welcome the empty nest. ~Karen Savage and Patricia Adams, The Good Stepmother

****
UPDATE: Just got the call. Very casually apologized for the kitchen claiming that he couldn't fit all the dishes in the dishwasher. (Yeah right). Also had an excuse for not handwashing them. Claimed he did turn on the dishwasher - no, he didn't. Explained that it was my fault that he didn't sign the forms because he didn't know he had a deadline. Then casually asked about the laptop. I told him that I took it because of the kitchen. More excuses. Then asked where it was. I told him I had it (utter lie - it's hidden very well in the house). Response - "Are you serious!" My response - "Yes." His response - "Whatever" Typical teenage-speak. Am I wrong to feel smug? Naaahhh.

No comments:

Post a Comment