September 6, 2009

Lazy, lazy, lazy

I have become so lazy that it's intolerable.

I need to clean out my closet. Instead I turn a blind eye.

I need to clean my house. Except for the very basics, I turn a blind eye.

I need to keep up with my far-flung friends with more than an occasional email. Yet I don't.

What is going on? I wish I knew.

Is it just the summer? Living out on the back porch with my books and computer?

I used to be a whirlwind. Constantly cleaning, sorting, arranging. Now, I notice that it needs to be done. But I don't want to deal.

I'm still fairly happy. I still care whether or not family and friends are happy. So what is going on?

Why am I not the complete clean-freak I used to be? How come, all of a sudden, good-enough is fine with me?

Just this weekend; when I had Friday to myself (something that never happens), I was deciding should I clean or shop? I decided to clean the bathrooms and water the plants - call it a day - and go shopping.

In the past, the house would need to be spotless before I did anything else.

My hubby asked me what has happened. I don't have an answer. Not that he was complaining. He's learned long ago; if you complain - the job becomes yours. Besides the fact, that he is helpful around the house. Usually, though you must ask in order for it to be done. No initiative here. But, he does do all the cooking - so he does get a pass most of the time.

So what - there's dust on the shelves? So what - the pantry isn't in complete order? Why don't I care if the baseboards haven't been cleaned since we moved in (a year ago!)?

But I still expect high standards from everyone else in the house? ::sigh:: How can I expect so much from them when I'm not performing on the same level?

What is happening to me? Am I mellowing out? Or . . . am I losing it?

Or . . . maybe . . . I've realized that I have better things to do?

I don't know. Just please tell me I'm not going crazy. This is not the person I used to be. I can't determine whether or not this is a good thing.

2 comments:

  1. Are you kidding me? I have never cleaned the baseboards...! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too have so many more better things to do......maybe we get to a stage where we've had enough. There's only so much monotonous cleaning & ironing we can do in one lifetime. Surely?

    ReplyDelete