January 3, 2012

Pity Party? Party of one? Now seating, Pity Party?

Yup, that might be me.

Today was my first day back at work....after being off for 19 days.

Oh, don't get me wrong.  I was ready to go back.  I mean.....really?  Nineteen whole days home....with both Hubby and Man-Child.....(well, technically, it was only about 13 1/2 days with Man-Child .... but still!).

But I'm thinking the "Powers That Be" should have eased us back in.  You know, had us come in around 10:00 am and leave around 3:00 pm; with a two hour lunch in between.

But no.  We were thrown back into our old routines (and to the wolves, some of us were); without any preparation.

And this is (probably) what had me awake at 3:30 am.  I think I was afraid I'd miss the alarm clock.

Or it was Hubby creeping into bed so very, very late (I don't blame him.  He's been extremely stressed and he doesn't sleep well on a good day, never mind when he's stressed).

I tried and tried - in vain, I might add - to go back to sleep...to no avail.  Finally around 4:30 am I gave up and got up.

I felt fine - for a while.  And then "it" began to hit.

The tiredness; despite the copious amounts of coffee that had been consumed.

Despite the fact that it wasn't even light out yet or that I hadn't even got dressed.  From that point on, I knew it would be a long day.

But.... OY VEY!  I had no idea what I was in for (although past lengthy vacations should have clued me in - except, apparently, vacations are like childbirth in that you supposedly forget)?

When I finally got to work this morning; by desk was COVERED in paper and random boxes.  And by COVERED  I mean COVERED.  There wasn't an inch of desktop to be seen.

Then I booted up the old computer.....OH MY HELL!  My email had EXPLODED!  And?  Apparently, each and every one was URGENT!!!

Including the virus-loaded one that my Big Boss forwarded to me - the one he couldn't open or respond to.....(has he learned NOTHING from me in the past year that I've been working for him?!); which was immediately followed by one from our friendly IT folks warning us NOT to open any emails from xyz.com.

*sigh*

Happy New Year.  I don't care that it's not even 8:00 pm; I'm going to bed.

14 comments:

  1. Girl, I am envious of your 19 days off.

    We had a virus email going around our company too - had to email out everyone to tell them to not open it. Fortunately only two people got it though. Out of 250, that's not bad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That does not sound like a good time. I hope the rest of your week is a cake walk so that you can enjoy your weekend.

    I had teachers calling and emailing me over Christmas break and I am working Tues-Fri this week and got texted and emailed today for Mon, Thurs, and Fri of next week. I venture to guess that Tues and Wed will fill in also. What did I think I was doing when I said I wanted a full-time job? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Try to get so decent sleep, after all... tomorrow comes early!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 19 days and not a single invite for a girls afternoon. I know I had to work, I'm just having my own pity party. Tomorrow will be better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I remember those days well...the one's where you get back to work and are near tears because of the amount of crap waiting for you!! Hope you get some sleep tonight:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember those days. I hate to rub it in that I'm retired now and have no idea how I would have worked a JOB into my busy life.

    Everything is harder when I can't sleep. I hope you made up for your missed sleep last night. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I get 30 days off a year.

    I take about 15.

    I lose a day holiday every time I work a bank holiday or work an extra shift at double pay.

    At the end of the year I have (normally) two days left.

    I envy you for having 19 days off work, but I'm so used to working almost every day that I would go nuts being at home for that long.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I completely understand.
    I had 10 days off, and I developed a new schedule, 5:00 AM, drop kid off at work, return home, watch an hour of Leave it to Beaver, nap until 9:30, eat, watch a cooking show or two, eat some more, take a nap.....
    watch some more tv.....
    coming back to work was a biyatch....no more naps

    ReplyDelete
  9. 19 days in a row! That's a crazy amount of time.

    Some day, Gigi. Some day...

    Pearl

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope you're able to get some sleep. :(

    ReplyDelete
  11. Phew....feel knackered just reading about it! Just stopped by to say "Hi"....it's been a while my friend...x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aw.... I'd say "NO WHINING" but the covered desk and infected emails definitely warrant it!! UGH. Getting up at 0430 is not far from normal for me (in the summer is DAYLIGHT out up here at that time). and then I work until 7 = tired girl who sometimes hits the sack at 8:30, after falling asleep at 8....

    You need to smack your boss, however... xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. To bed at 8:00 pm sounds heavenly!

    Welcome back and happy new year!

    ;-) A.

    ReplyDelete