December 31, 2012

So long 2012 (and 2011)! I'm glad to see you go. Don't let the door hit you on your way out.

I see that a bunch of you are doing "A year in review" type posts.  And, while I'm happy to read (and possibly comment on - sorry, I've been really lax in that department lately) them - I am not doing one, per se.

Mainly because 2012 (and 2011) were extremely tough for us.  In those years, Hubby lost his job.  Man-Child got his license and begin to terrify us over and over again with his predilection for wrecking his car.  He was also injured, more than once, I might add, whilst on the field.  Man-Child graduated high school and moved off to college.  And as we struggled with that adjustment we continued to struggle with the unemployment issue.

Basically, they sucked.

Oh sure, there were some good moments thrown in the mix - there always is - and I do try to remember those moments.  But, unfortunately, I have a feeling that, in the future, when I look back on these particular years, those will be the moments I remember the most.

So here we are - with 2013 just hours away.  And boy, oh boy, am I ready for it.

I'm almost ready to get back to work on the 2nd.  Hubby starts as a full-time employee at his new job on the 2nd.  Man-Child will head back to college soon (along with his laundry) - secure in the knowledge that he has gotten the hang of the whole "college thing" - as reflected by his grades from the previous semester (can you say, Dean's List?  Yes, just a bit of mom-bragging; I think it's warranted here).

Picking up on the organizing/cleaning frenzy that occurred around Thanksgiving, I decided that I wanted to kick this new year off with a clean slate - literally.  Of course, I decided that yesterday - instead of say, oh....a week ago?  Needless to say, I'm a bit behind.  But over the past two days, I have cleaned most of the bottom half of the house - top to bottom.  After the Thanksgiving frenzy, the majority of the top half is mostly spotless.  I figure that I can knock out the rest of it tomorrow and the 2nd will dawn, not only with hope on the horizon, but also with that clean slate I have been looking for; with a bit of exhaustion thrown in for good measure.

Upon some reflection, I realize that I pretty much checked out in 2012 (and 2011) and can only attribute it to depression.  Not the kind that medication and therapy would help though.  I think this was more situational (yes; that IS a word - quit underlining it, Blogger!).  I didn't feel the need/want to do anything.  And now that life seems to be getting back on track, I feel more inclined to participate in life again - even if it is just cleaning at the moment.

Although I don't "do" resolutions - mainly because I tend to break them within the first few days - I'm hoping that during this new year I can get back to where I was - emotionally - before life took a great, big U-turn.  That Hubby can finally quit his hoarding/hiding clutter tendencies (particularly since I just found a bunch of new clutter in the closet that I've just recently cleaned out - which means that just got added to the list of what needs to be done tomorrow) once and for all.  That I can find the "happy" again in every day life.  That it will be a fresh start.  Basically, all I'm saying is that I'm actually looking forward to this new year.

And while I'm at it, here's wishing you a very happy New Year.  I hope that it brings you all peace, joy and love.

xo

11 comments:

  1. I raise my glass to the best year ever for you household. Although 2011 and 2012 were rough years, I'm grateful you were blogging so I was able to find you. Thanks for sharing the ups and downs of the last two years. Now we are on to bigger and better things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For someone who wasn't going to do a year in review, that pretty much captured it! (and quite well) Here's wishing you and yours, a healthy, prosperous and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 2013 is going to be y'alls year! I can't wait to hear about all the great things that are happening for all of you. And really? Dean's List? Holy Moly! Great job MC!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that the Dean's List is something every mom would be proud to share with her friends. Way to go! And yes, Gigi, this coming year I think you've earned a very very good one. Happy Happy New Year to you and your family! Yes! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. May 2013 be the best ever for you and your family, much love from your auntie xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy New Y... OUCH!

    Bloody door!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Me too. 2012 was nothing to write home about. I can't say I am sad to see it go : ).

    Here is to hoping 2013 is much, much better.

    I am thankful to know you friend. Love, Becky

    ReplyDelete
  8. 2012 was a good year for the most part, but looking through the posts I felt it was rather non-monumental. Which is why, I think, it was so good. It was the first year for us that I could just relax and enjoy the moments we were in.

    Here's hoping that 2013 is that for you. Calm, and non-monumental. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. DITTO. 'Nuff said. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Whew! This was most refreshing after reading about all the email accounts. LOL! I agree, Gigi. I'm looking forward to this year - one day at a time and just trying to embrace life as it comes. Two people that I know have passed this year, so just to be able to inhale and exhale is something to celebrate! Happy New Year to you and your family and may your perspective of everything to come be positive!

    ReplyDelete