April 10, 2013

A tip...just in case you ever need to know how to replace the flap/seal thingie on your shower door. You're welcome

For what it's worth, that bit about being almost 100% yesterday?  Total lie.  Today I feel like I am at death's door.

At any rate, this past weekend my husband FINALLY finished fixing our shower.  As I may have mentioned before, we have been displaced from our shower for oh...about FIVE MONTHS now....but who's counting?

Before he declared it "done" he decided that the flap/seal thingie at the bottom of the shower door needed to be replaced.  Fine.

So I sent him off to Home Depot in search of the said flap/seal thingie.  And they told him he needed to go to a plumbing supply warehouse.  I declared that this was ridiculous and insane.  And then sent him to Lowe's.  Obviously, he must have used the proper description there (flap/seal thingie) because they knew exactly what he was talking about, sold it to him and sent him home where he immediately took the thing upstairs to install it.

Twenty minutes later, I came upstairs to fold some laundry (I know!  Who would have imagined that I'd actually be folding laundry on the same day that I washed it?  Miracles, people, they do happen occasionally) only to be called into the bathroom to help.

According to Hubby I am "better at the tedious stuff" - which basically means that I have the following attitude toward projects - I will get the project done one way or another and I don't care how long it takes because, dammit!  Are you kidding me?  You are an inanimate object and you will bend to my desire.

*ahem*

No, I don't have issues with obsessive behavior...much.

Anyway, apparently he was not having much luck threading the flap/seal thingie into the door.  So I took a shot at it.  And the flap/seal thingie was coated in something slimy.

According to Hubby, the guy at Lowe's told him to be sure to "soap it up" prior to threading.  Well, while this may sound like fine advice; it isn't.  Because once you soap that bit of plastic up there is no way on God's green earth that you are going to be able to hold on to it long enough to thread it through anything, much less through a shower door, while in the awkward position of laying on the floor.

So we struggled for a bit.  And took a break.

When we re-grouped and prepared to once again tackle the project, Hubby came up with brilliant idea of wiping off the soap and using Pam spray.  I stopped him from spraying the flap/seal thingie and directed him to use the spray on the door itself.

And it worked!  Although, I must admit, it was still a two person job, what with one of us pulling and the other one guiding the plastic which had a tendency to jump the track (and maybe we had the help of a pair of vise grips wrapped in rubber) and it still took far more time than one would ever expect to spend on such a trivial project.  And I may have been sprayed directly in the face with the Pam - much to Hubby's amusement and my disgust. But it got done.

So there you have it.  If you ever have a need to replace the flap/seal thingie on your shower door, now you know.  Skip the soaping up the plastic bit and go straight for the Pam on the track.

And?  I am one happy bunny to finally, finally be able to use my own shower again.

Next up?  Re-grouting/caulking Man-Child's shower....and knowing my husband this means that as long as I'm alive, I'll never be able have a shower that I can call my own without having to share it with Man-Child.

*sigh*

6 comments:

  1. *sigh* we have so many 98% projects in this house it's ridiculous. And what did I do today? I called the insulation company to start yet another new project. I did however get the back yard clean up finished today AND cleaned the fire pit so we could burn this weekend! And since Tony won't be here, it might actually get done. :)

    But my tile back splash that was supposed to get done while I'm on vacation next week? Nope. Turns out, my parents finally closed on a house they have been buying for months, and they need help to gut it... *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, now this was a very important post to bookmark for future reference. When I need it I will know exactly what to do. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha. My hubs won't do anything like this. (OK, given the amount of disasters, I won't let him attempt them any more). The money we waste on going to friggin' Home Depot, coming back with the wrong stuff, opening it and messing with it before realizing it's not what we need - we would have been better off paying a $50 handy man. So I do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pam spray in the face? Bwhahahahahahahahahahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bahah Who knew Pam had so many uses! You should write the company!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pam??? Wow, who knew! Maybe I will try it on my sticky windows.

    ReplyDelete