I'm beginning to think it might be a mistake to buy this house...
We are currently in due diligence, of which we actually lost a couple of days since the inspection report landed in both of our spam files on May 29th but we didn't find it until June 3rd. Once we found it, I sent an email to the realtor explaining what happened (while wondering why she hadn't reached out sooner to see if we had received it). She wanted to meet that night to discuss it, but we hadn't even had a chance to look at it; so we said no. Then she informed us that she was out of town Thursday through Sunday and that our due diligence period ends on Monday!
So we worked up a list of things that must be done. Somehow the Husband was able to scare up a couple of rough estimates for the cost of replacing both the air conditioning units (they are as old as the house!) and the hot water heater (the inspector said, "It's shot.") on Friday. We emailed the list to her and also explained that we either wanted the current homeowner's to agree to pay for half of the ac units and water heater or deduct that amount from the house.
As of right now, we haven't heard back.
But after thinking about the logistics of this move, I'm beginning to panic. In fact, I'm beginning to hope that they come back with a flat out "NO WAY."
Why? Because this house does not have a garage. Or a shed. It has a teeny-tiny, closet-like space on the back of the house that is large enough to house a push mower and not much more.
Sure, we can build one (and had planned on doing so anyway) but...we currently have a two car garage chock full of garage type stuff. WHERE would we store that stuff while building the garage? In the dining room?
We've never moved into a house without a garage or, at the very least, a shed. I'm flummoxed.
Add in the fact, that if this deal does go through, we close on June 22nd. We need to have work done before we move in AND we need to be out of here by the 30th. So we would have a little over a week to have the work done and move and figure out what to do with the garage stuff.
I actually voiced the fact that I am thinking this was a mistake; to which the Husband replied, "Oh no!" and has appeared visibly worried about my state of mind ever since...because...
...to add in to all this angst, there are BIG doings going on at work. Doings that I dare not speak of but are going to result in HUGE changes. HUGE. We've known this was coming and are ready for it and it's beginning to look like those changes will occur EXACTLY when we are supposed to be closing on this house...IF we close on this house. Maybe those changes will come sooner (hopefully) or after (also, hopefully) but as of right this second it doesn't look likely.
Just so you won't worry, all I can say about these HUGE changes is that they do not include me not having a job after it's all said and done. For that, I am eternally grateful. It doesn't mean I'm happy about it (yet. Who knows what the future holds?), but I AM grateful.
Back to the house...we went to look at sheds today. The ones at the big box stores are incredibly expensive and cheap-looking. The only upside? They could probably deliver on day one. We also went to look at some Dutch Barn style sheds. They are also incredibly expensive but are WAY better as far as quality goes. AND? They do a rent-to-own kind of thing. Where, theoretically speaking, we could rent this space in our back yard and once the garage is built either have it removed or pay it off and keep it. The downside to this option? They can't promise that it would be delivered on day one; even if we weren't having one custom made. The guy said, it could be five days, it could be ten, who knows? Now, obviously, we can't order this thing now...because we have nowhere to have it delivered at the moment - and, with our luck, it would be delivered in five days...to a house we don't even own!
And THAT is the exact moment that I began to freak out.
Forgive me if I'm incoherent...there is just too much going on for my liking right about now.