|Front porch - alas, the door has not been replaced yet...still debating whether or|
not to remove the storm door.
My neighbor alerted me to the fact that these lovely planters were going for $5.00 each at the local Food Lion. I was lucky enough to snag two of the last four. Ignore that random planter of (cilantro? And my finger - whoever said I was a photographer was a liar.) whatever to the right.
The front porch is actually brimming with activity right now, as off camera, there are pots that contain a few tomato plants, basil, oregano and peppermint (I've heard it wards off wasps...I'm beginning to have my doubts). The back porch is also busy as it is hosting most of my container plants (sorry, no photos) that have been languishing in the house over winter. They are beginning to make a come back from the lack of sunlight this house sorely does not provide.
My plan for these planters on the front porch was to raise them - so I went in search of planters today. I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for but I did find these...they are actually inverted bathroom trashcans and they seem to fit the bill. I think if I painted them to match the pots they'd work even better.
Next up was to plant a hydrangea. We have this one weird, unfinished bed on the side of the house. My plan was to plant something in memory of my friend and then finish off the bed with some hostas or something. Today I bought a beautiful hydrangea - carted it around in my hot car for several hours before planting it.
|Poor, sad, wilted hydrangea. Also, I still need to finish the bed and add mulch. |
To no one's great surprise, my finger makes it's way into the shot again. *sigh*
The heart-shaped stone next to it has a phrase about remembering those
My last goal today, was to remove an invasive vine near the mailbox - no pictures of this event. I was able to loosen the GINORMOUS root ball but was unable to remove it by myself. This required brute strength. So The Husband stepped in, flexed his muscles and pulled it out for me.
Then I took a stroll around the yard. Last fall, in the big bed, we laid cardboard down and covered it with mulch. Then earlier this year I learned about Preen and used that in the bed. Between the cardboard and Preen the big bed has been pretty much weed (AND blackberry!) free!! I will put out some more Preen next month and continue to monitor the situation. Although, the lamb's ear seems to be peeking out and I thought, I'd removed it all. It's not a plant that I care for - especially since I've discovered how invasive it can be.
Of course, by now, my peony has spent all of it's blooms but I did grab a picture during it's blooming glory.
I also managed to snag a photo when the roses and irises were in bloom...
|SO happy about those irises - they were transplanted from the shady side of the yard. |
I've heard I should be deadheading those roses - but the enormity of the task is
The transplanted hostas are also very happy in their new locations....
|Earlier this spring - and yes, we need to mulch|
|This one is REALLY happy!|
|Although, it seems this one is more of a "lace cap"|
than a mop head, sadly. It is also too close to the
camellia and we should probably move it - where,
I don't know.
|I do know that they do need to be divided though. Again, something I'm not|
willing to do in this heat and humidity.