September 23, 2015

10,000 Q-Tips....

A couple of weekends ago, I found myself in Target (a place I often find myself at least once on any given weekend) when I remembered I needed Q-Tips.

Not a huge deal.  But, as I was pondering the many Q-Tip offerings I realized...that somewhere at home; packed away in the myriad of boxes that I navigate on a daily basis since our recent home-buying debacle, is a fairly new box of Q-Tips.  The myriad of boxes I have refused to unpack in the hopes that the perfect home would miraculously land in our laps.

At the time, I pondered my options.  I COULD buy the smallest box of Q-Tips to get myself through...OR I could dig through the boxes (meticulously labeled, of course.  Those first few boxes that are packed are ALWAYS meticulously labeled...it's those later boxes that end up biting you in the butt; those are the ones that end up un-labeled and containing all kinds of random stuff.  Kitchenware thrown in with pairs of shoes and whatnot).  At the time I did NOT want to dig through boxes so I ended up buying the smallest box...which, in case you are wondering, was about 300 Q-Tips....(really?? That's the smallest offering you have when it comes to Q-Tips?)

No, it wasn't a lot of money, but still...do you know how long it will take me to go through 300 Q-Tips?

At least a year.

Fast forward to today.  The day that I have decided that I must unpack a good portion of these boxes (because seriously??  I honestly don't think we are going to find anything worth buying before next spring at this point AND I'm thoroughly sick of having my home decor scream "A HOARDER lives here!!").  Where I then realized that the last time I bought Q-Tips (prior to the above mentioned trip to Target) I bought the largest box available at the time...thinking that if I did so, I wouldn't have to buy Q-Tips for a good, long time.

Ha-ha.  The joke's on me.

I'm about to have more Q-Tips than I can possibly need for the next 20 years.

And, yes, we are still in limbo...hoping for that perfect house to pop up.  Or the perfect lot and the Husband's desire to build to surge to the forefront.  Yes, I still think that is the best way to go.  And no, he's still not there yet.

In the meantime, do I unpack these boxes or do I just send the ones I haven't been digging through for the past three plus months to Goodwill?  Because honestly?  If I haven't needed anything from them in over three months, odds are good I don't need it.  But on second thought, the last move resulted in lots of "missing" items.  Items which were probably shipped off to Goodwill during a manic "If I haven't used it in X amount of months, I don't need it" phase.  Which CAN be a good thing until you realize that you've gotten rid of your very favorite pan on which to bake cookies at Christmas time.

I need a house y'all...this limbo is killing me, the boxes are killing me, and the 10,000 Q-Tips are silently mocking me.

Q-Tips...it's all come down to a post about Q-Tips.  *sigh*


6 comments:

  1. Story of my life honey, story of my life.

    I can relate, not on the moving thing, but on the fact that I have ripped every "safe place" apart in this house looking for my MIL's will and all I keep thinking is "If I die tomorrow someone's going to have to go through all this sh!t".

    Needless to say I have purged an entire 70 gallon recycling barrel of papers. Most of which I'm sure I'll need, oh I don't know, probably Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Again, so sorry for your loss.

      Yeah, every purge feels SO great...until I realize I needed whatever it is I got rid of.

      Delete
  2. I think I have a small box of Q-tips I bought a decade ago. The box follows me from place to place, because when I need one, it's usually just one! I hope that mystery home will magically appear one of these days, Gigi. I really do. Fingers crossed. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, DJan...eventually one will pop up. And yeah, those Q-Tips last forever don't they?

      Delete