July 21, 2020

Grab a drink, pull up a chair...I have SO much to tell you...

Hahahaha...as if...

Not much has been going on around here, I suspect the same is the case for most of you.

We did have a scare in that the friend two doors down had to be tested for COVID-19, luckily it turned out to be allergies.  Other than that, life around here looks pretty much like it did the last time I posted - consults calendar - almost two weeks ago.  Wow, time really DOES fly when you are stuck at home!

Man-Child came for a socially distanced visit for my birthday - also almost two weeks ago - and caught sight of one of the last finished samplers from my project, "Learn To Cross Stitch" that was in the "Going To Goodwill" box, promptly fished it out and proclaimed that he wanted it.

Color me shocked.  He WANTED a stitched sampler?!  Apparently, yes, he did.  He thought it would be perfect for his kitchen.  So, I offered to frame it for him - which he readily accepted.

I ordered the frame and mat from Michael's for curbside delivery.  As I sat in the parking lot waiting for the delivery, I people watched.  All of the customers entering the store were masked, which I - and I'm sure, the employees - greatly appreciated.  But I also noted, I was the only customer taking advantage of curbside delivery.

Based on subsequent curbside deliveries, I'm fairly certain I'm about the only customer taking advantage of it at most stores.  Why?!

I imagine that the employees at Michael's and other stores, NEED to be there for the income.  But I also imagine that those same employees would rather we, the germ carriers, didn't come in if we don't have to.  I know that if it were me, I'd rather deliver the merchandise to a waiting trunk than to watch many people wander in - masked or not - touching ALL.OF.THE.THINGS!

But I digress...

I framed the sampler for Man-Child - which I still don't quite understand why he wants it.



I realize that I can see the errors that I made and they are, most likely, not noticeable to anyone who didn't work on the pattern.  But I am pretty happy with the way it turned out.

In fact, based on the way that one turned out, I turned to the more ambitious project that I had set aside, after ripping out ALL the stitches twice.

This is the third set of stitches that had to be ripped out.
Frustrating...to say the least.
I'd say I'm a third of the way through this one.  And here's what I have discovered - after ripping out ANOTHER set of stitches - odds are good that your original stitches are fine.  Look to the most recent stitches for the error.  I discovered this AFTER the fact, of course.

Also?  This may be my last sampler for a good long while.

The learning of patience was a lesson I needed - but I also find that an unfinished project finds me spending time on that project even though there are other things need my attention...like house cleaning, laundry, etc.

12 comments:

  1. Oh, this is lovely and not a throw away! I remember learning to cross stitch when I was around 13-such a great time sucker. :)
    I'm glad your son wanted to keep it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not sure what state you live in but I can gather from your Twitter that it seems like it's the south, God bless your heart. I will say prayers and/or chants. I feel like it needs to be chants at this point. LOL
    So I will give you this tidbit that I have learned from being up here in Illinois, that the virus doesn't live on surfaces....NOW, this could change as we know the info changes daily. I was washing groceries like I was PAID to do it until April but then found out we didn't have to. So it should be okay to go in Michaels BUT I don't blame you because I know it is like wildfire where you live, so good for you to be safe. I am proud of you! Keep on fighting the fight!

    Wearing a mask is really the only way to keep the spread down, we are learning so I hope your state is mandating that or at least getting there. I will keep my fingers crossed for you. :)

    I love the black background cross stitch. I am horrible at stuff like that. This should be the time I learn to do these types of things. Maybe this winter I finally will break down and do it.

    Keep safe and healthy. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, you nailed it. I do live in the south - although we aren't *quite the hotspot that a few other states are but our numbers are inching up.

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness! I LOVE that he wanted that sampler. It will look great in his kitchen AND remind of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never learned to cross stitch, but you reminded me that I might just get some yarn and make a knitted scarf or something, just for variety. Reading, writing, watching interminable episodes of my latest series gets old after awhile. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the routine needs some shaking up now and again. Who knows? Maybe I'll learn to knit next.

      Delete
  5. My very good friend is a cross-stitcher and she has made some really amazing stuff! In fact, she made me something that hangs in my kitchen and I love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to see what your friend made!

      Delete
  6. I can't believe you were going to throw that out! So glad your son rescued it. I've always wanted to learn how to cross stitch. There's a seriously inappropriate cross stitch pattern I want to do, but I also want to zhuzh it up so that it looks really pretty until you read what it says; however, it hasn't happened yet. So how does one learn to do this? Do they have cross stitch lessons somewhere?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There may be classes but, for the most part, most patterns/kits include instructions. To start, I'd probably suggest stamped cross stitch - just to get a feel for it. Also, there are plenty of websites that can guide you.

      Delete