September 5, 2021

The Husband's newest "toy"

 We shall start this post by saying he is an absolute hero.  Somehow, he found whatever was needed to fix the leaking pipe; thus a plumber was unnecessary!  YAY!

The Husband has been lusting after a smoker for years now.  YEARS!  And he finally the bit the bullet and actually bought the smoker of his dreams, with my full approval even though it was ridiculously expensive - but we had planned carefully so that it was mostly bought with cash.  God knows, I was tired of all the drooling over smokers.

The smoker arrived yesterday - he was over the moon.

What I neglected to take into account of his new acquisition?

He is like a little boy; SO excited that he just HAS to tell me all the details.  It must be angled just so! (why? I don't know and am careful not to ask)  Look!  It has this little (I don't know what) so you can regulate the temperature!  Look!  This acts like a hot plate!  Look at the welded seams!  Did you know this weighs 600 pounds?!...

And on and on and on....

It's kinda cute.

And a little annoying.

All at the same time.

Currently, he's smoking some chicken and his just informed me that with a smoker, sometimes it stalls out and you need to add more wood because it takes tending, don't you know?

But you know what?  He's excited with the smoker of his dreams and his little boy excitement is endearing...and a little annoying...but I imagine that will abate soon.

*The good thing about a smoker is that it shouldn't dry things out...because.....(the most recent statement as I wrap up this post).

15 comments:

  1. Well, congratulations to you both with the newest member of your family now on board. I look forward to hearing about the meals ahead of you and whether he's this happy a month from now. I sure hope so! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you may not hear about the meals...only because usually, I'm not a huge fan of smoked foods. But he will enjoy it.

      Delete
  2. Has he entered the price of wood into the total cost? And how much it needs to complete the cooking? I hope he doesn't loose interest when it's no longer fun having to stop watching a game on tv because he needs to add more wood. Well, enjoy not having to cook for a meal. Is he going to clean it after it cools down, or does that become your job. Still, the food is delicious - and Thanksgiving is right around the corner - it might shave a couple of hours off your timetable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Barbara...I don't cook and I don't clean grills/smokers. This is his own thing completely. And he understands that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gigi,
    Did he get one of those big green egg things...or is that not a smoker? Oh, it's too bad that you don't care for smoked meat. I started salivating at smoked chicken. Yum! Don't you love it when someone is that happy? Sometimes I think I get more out of someone's happiness than any physical gift. Joy is special. Loved this post, my friend! Mona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure what the Big Green Egg is, Mona - but no that's not what he got. You are right, joy is special and I am so happy for him.

      Delete
  5. I have this breed of husband -- and yes, it is adorable and also very tiresome. I can only hear the technical specifications of something so many times before I want to scream. But yay for fixing the pipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems to be that most husbands are this way...we should have been warned. Yay for no more moldy, grossness under the sink!

      Delete
  6. My husband has, and loves, a smoker. He uses it for things like brisket, pulled pork, and ribs - all of which I don't eat! Oh well, the boys enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am curious to see how his famous ribs turn out on the smoker (I do eat them) but smoked chicken is just not something that appeals at all.

      Delete
  7. Well, happy day! This would be my nightmare because I dislike all smoked foods. ALL of them. But if it saves you from cooking, then Joy To Your World.

    I do understand about the Extolling Of The Product, however; my husband does that, too. I often have to come out to the garage or down to the basement whilst he shows me the features of Whatever and bores me senseless. But I smile and even ask a few general questions and act Real Happy. He's worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't do ANY of the cooking (I am the baker though) - but if it makes him happy, then I am happy.

      "Extolling of the Product" that is the PERFECT description!

      Delete
  8. This is so funny. Boys and their toys! I hope this means he'll be whipping up some nice protein filled meals for you both. I hope the joy continues.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My husband's been on vacation this week. He's sat on his butt all week "playing" with his sports card collection. Turns out by the end of the week he'll have made at least $2,400.00 on the cards he's sold thus far.

    He's making more money than if he went to work.

    And I'm not even getting a good brisket out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brother #4 loves his smoker! He uses it well and it provides excellent food. Good for him.

    ReplyDelete