November 14, 2021

An announcement and the reason I'm fretting today

The Husband turned in his notice to retire December 10th.  This is huge and exciting! 

It's also a little unsettling - as this is a BIG change in our lives.  One of my concerns is having him here roaming around while I work.

I got a small taste of how it may play out this week - as he took another vacation (he's trying to use up his vacation since he has somehow got the idea that he won't be paid for those days that he doesn't use.  Dear reader, he will be paid for unused time.) this week.

***

Thank you all for your kind responses to my last post.  I did indeed end up working the majority of the week.  Last Friday, I sent my boss (you know, the one who actually signs off on my paycheck and not the others that I was "volunteered" for) an email that basically said, "Hey, I ended up working for the majority of the week so I'm only going to count two days as vacation, if okay."  He was more than okay with it (as well he should since he was the one doing the "volunteering" on my behalf), so those days are back in rotation and still need to be taken.

I think the biggest frustration in this whole scenario isn't necessarily the work itself but the uncertainty of it all.  First of all, I was thrown in headfirst into already developing situations.  Big meetings that somehow needed to be scheduled globally.  There were a lot of emails back and forth about one particular meeting.  And every morning, I wake up already woefully behind as the emails that zipped across the world while I was sleeping; so I'd wake up and think "What the hell is going on here?"  Do you have any idea how stressful it is to wake up knowing you are already behind?  Before you even had your coffee?

Luckily, that meeting was finally nailed down on Friday - so that is behind me for the moment.  Except, for the fact the CEO expects me to be in the office for three days next week - I can only assume she thinks my presence will somehow magically make that meeting a successful one.  

I can't stress enough how much I am fretting over this issue - I truly do not want to be IN the office with these people.  Yes, there are precautions in place, masks are required, etc.  I keep telling myself it will be okay but honestly, there is a giant ball of anxiety sitting like a rock in my stomach at the mere thought of it.

For the past eighteen months, I have avoided spending extended periods of time surrounded by people.  Yes, I realize that it will not be a building chock full of employees but there will be more people than I feel comfortable being around.

I'll get through it somehow but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

I do know that she has interviewed at least four potential possibilities - let's all cross our fingers that when I wake up tomorrow (already woefully behind again) I will find that someone has been offered the position, has accepted and is ready to start immediately.


15 comments:

  1. Yours is the second post I read today about a husband retiring soon. And concerns about it. My husband makes noises like he's going to retire soon, but never quite pulls the plug. I understand your concern about being in an office when you don't feel entirely safe there. No solution here, just a nod of "I get it." All of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ally - he's been making noises about it for a while now and finally pulled the trigger. I think, after a while, he will probably find a part time job both to evade the list of things I have waiting for him and boredom.

    No, there is no solution for the work issue, sadly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck being back in the office for three days. I hope it goes okay and that people actually wear their masks. I hope your colleagues are vaxxed as well - vaxxed and masked, the risk will be low. I know that's not really that common where you live though, so I will just hope for the best for you.

    Congrats on your husband's upcoming retirement. I hear you though. My husband has been working from home, with the exception of maybe a total of 10-12 days in the office, since March 2020. It was definitely an adjustment. I am not going to lie, there were some bumps in the road. So, I get what you're saying. I hope it goes as smoothly as possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nicole! I'm sure we'll figure it out when the time comes. As for work, yes, I know in my heart that it will probably be okay but there's always that tiny chance...

      Delete
  4. I hear you on both concerns. As a creature of habit who loves her solitude and her routines, I understand completely. When Rick had his back surgery and was home recuperating for six weeks, I really struggled with Having Someone In My House. It took some time and some fairly careful communication.

    As far as the anxiety about being in the office again with people during this time, that's so difficult. You know you'll be doing everything you can to stay safe for yourself. I'm sure you've expressed your feelings about it to your boss, and she's aware. It's all about mitigating risk, and you're doing that. Your feelings are justified, and I'm sorry you're under so much stress. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nance - you said it perfectly...Having Someone In My House. It's one thing for it to be a few days; it will be another when he's here all the time!

      Delete
  5. I too am sorry you're going through both of these events at once. But I know that you will come through. You are great at operating under pressure, right? Sending you big virtual hugs and look forward to hearing in your next post how it all went/is going. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, DJan! I can feel those virtual hugs as I type. :-)

      Delete
  6. YAY for retirement. He will have NO excuses when you give him a list of honey-do's. ;) Right?
    I'm glad you got some of your vacation days back; you deserve them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm working up a VERY long list as we speak and there will be no excuses!!

      Delete
  7. Sorry to hear that this is stressing you out. I hope the retirement works in your favor . . . more things will get done without you doing them perhaps? Hoping you find a way to both be home without too many issues.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your husband's impending retirement is so exciting! What a huge change! I am also really glad you got back a few days of vacation time. That's only fair.

    Sending you soothing thoughts about being in the office. I completely understand how anxiety-producing that would be. I think it will be FINE, and that you will probably adjust quickly once you are in the actual building, but of course it is a huge stressful mindbender to go from AVOIDING people to being with them, side-by-side.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Hubs is 9 years older, so he'll be puttering around driving me crazy long before I can retire. Actually, he can early retire in 2 years. He takes ALL of his vacation time every year (I tend to roll mine... as of Jan 1st, I will have 8 weeks to use in 2022) so he putters around already making me crazy 5 weeks a year. Case in point next week... his plan is to clean up the yard, which means he will sit on his butt for 8 days and do it all on the 9th day, then complain how tired he is that he has to go back to work.

    *sigh*

    I hope things get better for you at work, or at least different.... in a better way.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations to your husband! Thats exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Retired spouses usually get in your way for awhile until they settle down into the life of retirement.
    Your work matter is a common one, shared by many. Keep to your principles of safety.

    ReplyDelete