November 26, 2021

Thanksgiving recap

I hope you all had a lovely Thanksgiving, if you celebrate.  Ours, thankfully, was uneventful; particularly after last year.

This was the most unorthodox Thanksgiving for us though.  For the first time EVER, it was just the two of us.  Man-Child spent the holiday with his girlfriend's family and our friends two doors down both had to work.  So Thanksgiving dinner was salmon and asparagus and it was lovely.  We had agreed to meet up with the friends two doors down for dessert.  I made an apple crisp which, according to my friend, received HIGH accolades from her teenage son who said, "This is really good, Ms. Gigi." in monotone.  According to her, he never comments positively on food or anything else, really. 

Once again, I am skipping the stores for any Christmas shopping; relying instead on online shopping.  So the majority of the day yesterday was spent scouring the internet for deals and was finally able to make some sort of headway on my list.

Usually, my Christmas gift buying is pretty much a free for all but this year, I downloaded Gift List (I believe it works for Apple or Android).  So far I am loving it.  You can password protect it, if you'd like.  I decided against that because, dear God, do you know just HOW much of my brain is dedicated to remembering passwords?  At this point, I'd say 90%.  I also like that I can track just how much I am spending.

I *think* you can have multiple lists (Christmas 2021, Birthday 2022, etc.) but I haven't figured that out yet as I am currently focused on Christmas 2021.

And speaking of gift buying - if you have someone on your list who would appreciate an item from Dick's Sporting Goods, they are ON it with the shipping.  I ordered a certain something for a certain someone sometime Wednesday afternoon and it showed up on my doorstep today!  I figured it would at least be a week before it would arrive.

Also, can I take a moment to express my absolute adoration of curbside delivery?  And the fact that I think it should always be an option, even after this never-ending pandemic is over.  

I decided to decorate the porch yesterday since it was positively a balmy high 50's kind of day.  And, of course, the new-ish, pre-lit garland refused to light.  *sigh*  So, I hopped online and ordered two new strands of pre-lit garden from Michael's and was able to drive up and have it deposited into the trunk of my car (which I was floored when I drove down the, usually heavily trafficked, street to encounter NO real traffic...on Black Friday.  The lots were full - but not as full as they usually are.  It was so astonishing that it bears mentioning.)  

Of course, today and tomorrow are colder (and windy) but the forecast for Sunday looks promising, so I will take advantage then to decorate the porch with garland that, hopefully, will light.

The Husband is not aware yet but the tree is going up tomorrow.  I'm ready for a little Christmas cheer.

How was your Thanksgiving?  Score any deals today (or yesterday - which, thankfully, it seems most stores were actually closed yesterday)?  Is your tree already up?  Spill all the details in the comments below.

Also, I would like to take a moment to let you know how very grateful I am that you have found your way to this corner of the internet and I to yours. xo

21 comments:

  1. Yes, I sure do enjoy reading about your exploits, those that work and even those that don't. So glad to have found your little corner of the universe! I am always happy to hear about what you're doing these days. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, DJan. I'm glad that you enjoy coming here; I sure am happy that you do.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you enjoyed your restful Thanksgiving. Mine was hectic, but pleasant. We have so few leftovers that I'm considering making a second turkey in a couple of weeks just to have it around.

    Christmas shopping...ugh. I'm jealous of your progress. I'd prefer if you did mine for me, actually. Sound like a deal?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure, Nance - send me your list! ;-) I have a feeling The Husband will be making a turkey since I just noticed one hanging out in the fridge...

      Delete
  3. I'm glad your Thanksgiving was so nice!

    I have never heard of Gift List, but it sounds really handy. We did not have Thanksgiving this week but we Canadians do, somehow, benefit from your Black Friday - so I tried to buy a few pair of jeans for the boys. Weirdly, I have yet to get a confirmation email BUT the charge is pending on my mastercard so I guess we will see!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nicole. I noticed some site were very slow, I imagine from all of us shopping at the same time! I looked into Gift List a little closer, sadly it won't support multiple lists. It will archive this list after Christmas and replicate an empty list for Christmas 2021.

      Delete
  4. Happy you got to eat what you wanted instead of the 'norm'. It was my first holiday alone so had a turkey t.v. dinner. Wasn't too bad and the prep and clean up were a snap! Should have been doing it that way for years. But I'll miss making my turkey noodle soup from the bones.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Husband ended up smoking a turkey breast; which we had today. I did enjoy the salmon but did miss the mashed potatoes - which it's probably a good thing they weren't on the table.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad someone is being productive. Actually I guess I was technically productive when I went to the mall and started my shopping on Wednesday . . . it feels SO long ago though, because I was at Irish dancing championships ALL DAY yesterday. She's finally in the age group that dances Fri vs Sat and that is a huge bonus. I am thrilled to have 2 days to recover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a one step forward, two steps back kind of productivity though!

      Delete
  7. I am quite grateful for finding you and being privy to your writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - and I am thankful for stumbling over your blog as well!

      Delete
  8. Answering your questions: our Thanksgiving for the two of us was lovely; got a deal on some new walking shoes that came with a free Christmas t-shirt; our tree is up. Life is good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay on a good deal! I love those. Our tree is up - nekkid but for the lights...it's a process.

      Delete
  9. That certainly is an unorthodox Thanksgiving, but really, what difference does it make about what we eat? I can see missing your son and fiends though; that's not fun, but fish sounds good. :)
    Our day was lovely, smaller than we've ever had, but it was still good.
    I will get that app because you already turned me onto the Groceries app that I absolutely love; thanks for that if I didn't mention it before.
    I'm gonna do very little shopping this year.
    Wait, I always say that, but it never happens.
    XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you like the grocery app - that one quickly fell by the wayside here as The Husband never even thinks to check it. *sigh* Although this particular app seems to apply only to Christmas (you can't add other lists like Birthday, etc.), I am enjoying it simply because I can see how much I've spent for every person and, EVEN BETTER, I will have an archived list of what I gave to each person the year before.

      Delete
  10. That sounds like a lovely Thanksgiving.
    Apple crisp is one of my favorite desserts.

    We had a lovely Thanksgiving. I spent most of today online, getting most of my shopping done. I also spent the remainder of the day reading blogs and leaving comments because I hadn't been online in about a week. So it's been a nice day of catching up.

    I'm very grateful for your blog and all of the others that make me smile. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I don't think I'd ever even heard of an Apple Crisp until someone (Swistle, I think) mentioned it on Twitter. So I looked it up and figured it would be a good (new) dessert. I'm so glad we've found each other!

      Delete
  11. I dread the day the kids have significant others and spend certain holidays with them instead of us. However, I guess there's hope because your Thanksgiving sounded perfectly lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Beth, every time something "new" that happens re: Man-Child, I think about you and what's coming down the pike for you. I'm not going to lie, I did not care for it all! But, I also know this how it's supposed to work. And I know I don't want to be "that" mother-in-law, when the time comes. On the plus side, we are celebrating Thanksgiving this weekend with him!

      Delete
  12. Gigi,
    Happy Belated Thanksgiving! Your apple crisp sounds like it was prize-winning! And other than that, I'm glad you didn't have appliance or plumbing issues! Good food, calm...sounds like a win to me! Woo Hoo! It's funny that you mentioned salmon and asparagus because I asked David and Ryan what they wanted for dinner this week and Ryan said "salmon and asparagus." So much for the Brussel Sprouts I have on hand. *sigh* It sounds like you and I are going in opposite directions in terms of Christmas shopping this year. You're doing all of yours online and I'll be elbowing my way through the crowds. Ugh. As always, I'm running behind. Tomorrow (fingers crossed), I'll be doing the bulk of Christmas decorating. David's in charge of bringing home the tree, which probably won't happen for another week. He usually brings home a Charlie Brown Christmas tree; however, last year, he did really well. Geez, I hope I didn't just jinx us! Season's Greetings to you, my friend! I hope Santa makes all your Christmas wishes come true! Mona

    ReplyDelete