October 16, 2022

A Post About Nothing

 Well, it's been a minute, hasn't it?  How does the time fly by so quickly?  It seems like I just posted yesterday...

The Husband left for Asheville on Friday and I have had a deliciously, quiet weekend.  Which was just what the doctor ordered because work these past few weeks have left me completely and utterly frazzled.

Generally, when he is gone for the weekend I try to be as productive as possible - knocking off as many of those "to do" items off the list (you know, the ones that I could do when he's here but prefer to do when he's not - as he might "undo" all my hard work immediately after - and let's be honest, if I do them when he's not here at least I get to enjoy the results for a few days).

And that was the plan for this weekend - until I woke up late (for me) on Saturday and said no.  Sure, I tidied up the bits and bobs that he leaves around but that was about it.

For some reason, the company decided to implement major changes to two different processes simultaneously a few months ago.  Which is fine - but they neglected to give any one any real training on said processes and then turned around and practically eliminated an entire department.  The only department that had ONE person who knew how to do the processes; which left the rest of us in a state of panic and learning on the fly.  

I'm not gonna lie - it's been stressful; to say the least.  Particularly, since one of those processes is how our vendors get paid.  It's been a hot mess.  It's also stressful to see an entire department decimated and people that you've worked with for years just being gone.

So after waking up late on Saturday it dawned on me that I needed some legit down time.  And that's what I have done this weekend.  The bare minimum was done (before mentioned tidying, laundry...the never ending laundry, etc.) and after that, I only did things that I *wanted* to do - paint my nails, dye my hair, just sit and read, or watch Dahmer on Netflix (not my brightest idea to do when all alone, I'll admit.  After I watched it, I had to stay up late reading to get my mind off it; hence the late wake up on Saturday).  All in a silent house.  

I keep touching on the "silent" or "quiet" because when The Husband is home this house is anything BUT silent or quiet...unless he's sleeping.  And even then, he either fell asleep with the television on or is snoring.

I think between the visit with the family a few weeks ago and the stresses of work, I needed this quiet time to re-charge.  

And I do feel calmer and more prepared to face another week of challenges...ones that are, hopefully not as daunting as they were a couple of weeks ago, now that I'm feeling a little more confident about the new processes.

But, I am ready for him to come home tomorrow.  Silence is nice but having your loved one home is even nicer still...

15 comments:

  1. I think it's important to have some time to recharge and recoup your Self. I used to feel guilty about it, especially since I'm retired and don't have the crush of work demands anymore. But I still have concerns with providing some care for my mother, taking care of all the household responsibilities, and anything that may crop up between those. Sometimes a week is crammed with appointments and problems. Time alone and quiet is a saving grace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, it is a saving grace, Nance. And we all need a bit of it every now and again or we'd go completely bonkers.

      Delete
  2. I saw the title of this post and knew immediately I was going to agree with whatever you wrote. Doing nothing is SO important if you want to live a balanced life. I understand your need for quiet. It's just the best for recharging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right, Ally. My life has been so out of balance for the past few weeks and it was time for a "do nothing" kind of weekend.

      Delete
  3. Definitely sometimes nothing is exactly what is needed! I'm glad that you enjoyed your break AND that you were happy for his return.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was definitely needed. And as much as I enjoy a quiet house, I was getting a little lonely; so it's nice to have him home again.

      Delete
  4. It's so nice to have downtime! I think it is so important sometimes to accomplish NOTHING. I have heard about Dahmer but I am not going to watch it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't blame you one bit for not watching it Nicole. Just not the brightest idea for me to watch at night, home alone!

      Delete
  5. I'm so glad you got some quiet time; absence also makes the heart grow fonder! It's all about balance and you definitely need some after such a busy fall.
    Also, it made me so happy to see you write "bits and bobs" - a dear friend from the UK says this and I find it so endearing but have NEVER heard anyone else use that expression. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, how funny about the bits and bobs. I've never heard anyone actually use it but I must have picked it up somewhere in a book and found it charming so I throw it in whenever I get a chance.

      Delete
  6. I am so glad to hear you got some down time. If anyone deserves it more than you, I don't know how that's possible. Anyway, glad you got it and feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do love my alone time, but then I also miss my guy. I get it.
    I hope the work stuff gets better for you soon! You've been through heck the last few years with your job.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE when the Hubs is gone. Most of the time. The quiet is nice. But I do need him to get things off the high shelves, so there's that. I'm feeling you on the work thing... it feels like lately my whole tribe is retired, quit, or sadly, dead. By the time I retire there will only be two people (god willing) left with me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes we miss them when they are gone but love it too for the peace and quiet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stinko! I am not anonymous I am Urspo !

      Delete