February 7, 2023

A Noise Downstairs: A Novel - Book Review

I picked up A Noise Downstairs: A Novel by Linwood Barclay from the library this past weekend and devoured this book.

In fact, I ended up staying up far too late last night trying to finish it.

The story revolves around a college professor, Paul Davis.  Late one evening, he notices a colleague's car driving erratically and, out of concern, follows him to see if he can offer assistance.  Instead, he stumbles into a horrifying event where he very nearly lost his own life.

After which he suffers from PTSD.  While trying to recover both mentally and physically, he becomes inspired to write about the incident; thinking that if he looked at it head on, he could begin to actually recover from the horror.

In attempt to cheer him up and support his decision his wife, Charlotte, gives him an old fashioned typewriter.

And that's when the trouble really begins...

If you are looking for a book that pulls you in from page one with suspense, a couple of twists (that I didn't see coming) and thrills; I heartily recommend that you read this one.

7 comments:

  1. Ooh, this sounds interesting...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good! Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting.... My back up book for the hospital (for when my eyes go crazy from the puzzle) is What Happened To You? It's a self-help trauma book my therapist recommended. We shall see.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read this based on your recommendation; couldn't put it down and read it in a single sitting!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yikes, sounds like a good read. No idea how people stay up late to finish a book. My eyes will NOT stay open when I try that. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is always good to hear about a fellow reader and get a recommendation.

    ReplyDelete