June 11, 2023

A Cautionary Tale of Amazon Hacking

The Husband was looking over our bank statement last week and noticed a bunch of small-ish Amazon purchases.  Each line item mentioned Movie as the purchase.

He first went to Man-Child; which is understandable because back when MC was in college he would occasionally rent a movie.  But he hasn't done this in AGES; mainly because he has his own account now.  The Husband then came to me and showed me the charges.

I certainly hadn't rented any movies.

I searched my previous orders and did not see any movie rentals; which I figured would be the case because whenever I order anything, whether a physical item to be delivered or a video, I always get a confirmation email.  I had no confirmation emails for any of the dates on the bank statement.

First step was to change my password.  The next step was to hit the bank to cancel my debit card and dispute the charges.

Then I sgot a random email from Amazon asking me to update my payment information for such and such subscription service.  I assumed it was spam and ignored it.

In the meantime, we received notification from the bank denying the dispute; saying they found no evidence of fraud.  Irritating?  Yes.  But luckily, it wasn't that much that we were forced to eat.

And then another email came in for a different subscription service; and then another; and then another, etc.

I went back to my account and started looking around and discovered that Amazon DOES offer these various subscription services for Cinemax and other movie streaming sites.  Well, color me shocked.  I had NO idea that these services existed from Amazon.  When I clicked over to see what subscription services were linked to my account, I found that *I* had subscribed to all these channels.  Friends, I can assure you, I did NOT subscribe to anything other than Prime.  I immediately canceled all the subscriptions; except Prime.

I surmised that was the reason I hadn't received any confirmation emails and why there was no history in my previous purchases and why the bank refused to fund any of the money; because it LOOKED like I had subscribed to these services.

So, I figure someone, somehow, got a hold of my email address, did some basic online research and was able to guess the old password to get into my account.

Luckily, whoever got into the account never actually bought anything...but I feel sure that would have been the next step had we not noticed those initial charges fairly quickly.

I have set calendar reminders to change that password (and others) more frequently and will be checking on the subscription page often also.

Since I had never heard of this particular scam (nor of any of those subscription services) before now; I figured I'd sound the alarm so that you, hopefully, won't fall victim to the latest scam.

13 comments:

  1. Dear me! Scams everywhere. As soon as the safety factors are up the scoundrels find new ways to get around them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What a scam! Good to know, thanks Gigi.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the warning. I'll keep an eye on my Amazon account now, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yikes! How creepy. I'm glad you didn't get taken for some big bucks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no Gigi! That's awful! So glad you spotted it before it was a much worse issue. Scammers are so sophisticated. My husband and I have had our credit cards hacked multiple times this year and it is so frustrating. Thanks for the heads up about Amazon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, ugh! I'm glad it didn't get too bad for you, and thank you for the warning. It can be so annoying to figure out what all the individual charges are from, but I will keep a closer eye on that now. My mother's checking account got hacked last summer, and it was months of work getting it all straightened out. Such a nightmare, all because people want to cheat!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yikes. What a headache. Thanks for sharing. I am not great at looking closely at my credit card statement. I might need to pay closer attention.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If it's not one scam, then it's another. Ugh! I'm so glad you found it fairly quickly. I wonder if you can appeal to your bank now that you have proof of what was happening? Thanks for sounding the alarm, my friend! Mona

    ReplyDelete
  9. Holy mackerel. That's terrible!! I often have a hard time tracking Amazon charges because sometimes they will break up an order into smaller bits; not easy to follow along. Thanks for the warning!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is unnerving. I don't change passwords nearly often enough but have so far [🤞🏻] have not had a problem. Everything about Amazon kind of worries me, truth be told.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, that's not good. :( I very rarely order from Amazon. 99% of the time I can get it from another site often cheaper. Funny story, years ago I got a "refurbished" computer (which I thought was new) from a reputable company. I started using it and realized my emails randomly were not dark, meaning someone had read them. Long story short, the refurbished computer which supposedly had been wiped clean, had a Russian virus in it that allowed hacking of my accounts. I went to close my Amazon account since it had carts LOADED up with stuff but I had changed everything manually so none of it could be bought, and Amazon refused to close it for me asking me "are you sure you want to? You have a lot of stuff in these carts". Um, yeah, because it's NOT me. Needless to say, I have a rarely used account under a different email and I know wherever I get an Amazon email on the other email, it's fraud.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yikes! That's pretty scary. I am so bad about changing my passwords. I'm so glad you guys caught this quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  13. YIkes! That's pretty scary. So glad you guys caught this before they bought anything else.

    ReplyDelete