December 21, 2023

A Christmas (Cookie) Miracle...

On Tuesday, I took five batches of defrosted dough and made cookies.  But that is not the miracle.

No, yesterday I was determined to wrestle with the cookie press and make spritz cookies.  Why, you may ask, do I continue with that damned cookie press every year?  Because S (aka Man-Child) loves those cookies beyond reason.  In fact, he once wrote a story (a very well written, dark, and grim Christmas story - which is also a very un-Christmassy story) around those very cookies.

So, once again, I gritted my teeth and pulled out the cranky cookie press and re-visited the recipe.

Those that have been around here for any length of time know that I am not a very free spirited cook.  Hell, I don't cook at all.  But I like to bake.  But to me, baking usually means if I follow the "rules" (the recipe), I will be happy with the results.  Until it comes to this recipe.

But yesterday, when I looked at the recipe, I said to myself, "Oh hell no.  That is far too much flour and not enough butter!"  And I became a rebel for the first time in my baking life.  I cut down on the amount of flour (to be honest, I could have probably cut another half cup - but the "rule" follower in me pushed back a little) and added some melted butter to the finished product before inserting the dough into the press.

And finally!  The cookie press worked as it was intended (for the most part).  There were no tears.  No cursing.  And we ended up with more than one shape of cookie!  Were they perfect?  By no means.  But prior years we've ended up with one shape.  Anything else was a blob.

And even better?  These cookies are SO much better than the original.

Was it still a hot mess?  Yes.  Yes, it was.  You are still going to be covered in dough and greasy from head to toe; but the results are worth it for the pleasure these cookies bring S.  I think the only way around it (marginally) is to have three or four different presses loaded with different disks so you don't have to keep changing them out (if you want different shapes); but that seems extra ridiculous (not to mention, more to clean and store).  So I will press on (if you will) and continue to use the modified recipe that works so much better than the original.

20 comments:

  1. Ahh, the things we endure for the holidays. My mother had a cookie press. I do not. My son has favourite cookies as well and even though he is 23 years old, I still make them for him every year. Did you amend the recipe for future reference? -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. A cookie miracle! I did know you don't cook, but I did not know that you enjoy baking! I have never used a cookie press and honestly, I don't intend to, they sound kind of complicated. I'm an easy-breezy kind of gal in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really aren't complicated...once you've gotten the dough consistency correct; but it is messy. As you might have noticed, I'm not really an easy-breezy kind of gal - in the kitchen or otherwise!

      Delete
  3. In the last year, I read a blogger (who I will keep anonymous) say that she just adds vanilla to every baking recipe because every cookie recipe needs vanilla. It had literally never even occurred to me to do anything except what the recipe says! I admire your bravery in switching things up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It boggles my mind that some people (now, me too, apparently) can just change a recipe and it works. But, apparently, it's a thing.

      Delete
  4. My mother jumped on the cooky press bandwagon eons ago when they first became popular. I remember her struggling with the spritz recipe. My father loved those cookies, so onward she persevered. That press is still someplace in her attic, where she consigned it after getting fed up (finally!) and wordlessly omitting them from her repertoire. Maybe next year you can get your husband to make them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can blame Pampered Chef for my cookie press ownership. The cookies were almost worth the hassle though. But now? So much less of a hassle and definitely worth it.

      Delete
  5. Every cookie recipe DOES need vanilla. I don't think I said that, but I definitely adhere to that advice. Also, if I'm making anything with cinnamon my rule is always to double the spices. Double the cloves, ginger, cinnamon etc. ALWAYS. What can I say, I like my warm spices <3

    Hooray for fiddling with the recipe and loving the result. And I bet S will be over the moon for said cookies. They sound amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He will be utterly delighted with them. Intriguing about doubling the spices - I may have to try that next year when I make ginger snaps.

      Delete
  6. Well, that really IS a miracle, and it seems you were guided by some Christmas angels. Happy Holidays to you and yours, dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank goodness I actually listened to those angels! Merry Christmas to you and SG, DJan!

      Delete
  7. It really does sound like a Christmas miracle! How sweet of you to make your kiddo's favorite even though it is such a pain! I am reading your post and thinking of the ancient press my husband's grandmother gave us a dozen years ago. We made a couple batches of cookies and that was enough for me! We passed the press on to someone with more patience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the trick with a press is to have the dough the right consistency, to be willing to skip using parchment paper and wash the pans (the horror), and a modicum of patience (of this, I possess VERY little); then and only then is it feasible. But the joy on his face, as he eats one (six)? Worth it.

      Delete
  8. Happy Christmas to you! I am glad you are here/in my life as a blogger buddy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Spo! And a very Merry Christmas to you! I am glad you are my blogger buddy too.

      Delete
  9. It's a Christmas Miracle! Congrats on making wonderful cookies with the cookie press! You were inspired when you modified the recipe. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, there you go. You had to go rougue to make it work for you. I'm the world worst baker, so I don't even try anymore. I remember someone gave me one of those spritzer cookie presses many moons ago....not sure that I even tried it. Bravo to you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Replies
    1. Not surprisingly, I somehow knew it was you even before you came back and clarified. xo

      Delete