December 12, 2023

Christmas Progress

I don't know how it is in your house; but in this house the wheels of time regarding Christmas seems to move at warp speed!*

The tree went up on the weekend of the second.  Well, I should say, the new tree.  The old tree went up on the first - only to discover that NONE of the lights were working.  I debated whether or not I should just throw some lights on it; but decided NOPE.  I bought a pre-lit tree and this tree was no longer pre-lit so away it went and a new pre-lit came in (I sincerely hope this tree lasts longer than the last one; we spent a bit more money on it so fingers crossed).

After decorating the tree, I turned my attention to ornament boxes.  We currently have four and most of the ornaments are never used.  I was (hopefully, we'll see after I undecorate the tree) able to get it down to two...fingers crossed.  But, even if we just get it down to three this year...that's better than nothing.

Despite me putting a reminder on my calendar to start shopping for Christmas back in October; I neglected to make any real progress.  Oh sure, I bought that one gift.  Luckily, I did have the foresight to take the week off AFTER Thanksgiving and the wedding (and let me tell you, this is THE best week to take off to make a serious dent in Christmas decorating/shopping; I will be doing this from now on).  It was then that I was able to make headway on my list.

My mother-in-law's gifts have all been purchased, wrapped and packaged.  Tomorrow it will land at the post office to be shipped off.  I think I have most of The Happy Couple's list done (administrative note: going forward they will most likely be known as S and A; at least when mentioned separately).

I want to give you a sneak peek at one of the gifts for S this year...


This was almost two years in the making, people.  I was a quarter of the way through The Shining when S casually mentioned that maybe The Shining wasn't his favorite Stephen King book after all; that maybe Doctor Sleep was (are you kidding me, son?!).  Then I *think* he accidently saw the work in progress a few months later; so despite finishing it in time for last Christmas, I just put it away thinking maybe he'd get it this Christmas.  And then toyed with the idea of making another one.  Quite honestly, knowing how much work went into the first one, I put it off.  But eventually caved.  These aren't quite finished as I still need to cut them out; baste (or Stitch Witchery it - most likely I will go this route) the edges and frame them.  

As of Wednesday I'm technically off for the rest of the year (oh sure, I'll still be checking email for my own sanity and making myself available "as necessary" - what can I say, business still needs to be dealt with even in my absence) and am prepared to Shop Like I Mean It to wrap up the rest of the list; much to The Husband's (and my bank account's) dismay.


* I started this post on Sunday; it's now Tuesday night.  The only thing that held up this post was taking the picture but, of course, in the run up to vacation work was so bonkers I only just now got around to taking the picture.

7 comments:

  1. Oh my GOODNESS those book covers are stunning! What a fabulous present and labor of love, Gigi!

    Sounds like your Christmas is coming along very well. I am vacillating between "I'm in a good place" and "AHHHHHHHH" pretty much minute by minute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those book covers are incredible! What an exciting gift for S to receive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terrifically thoughtful gift for S.

    I feel like Christmas is threatening me this year. I bought my first gift last week, and two more this week. Obv, I'm way behind, and I'm ready to go hide someplace. And this week, I'm caring for my mother, so scratch any marathon shopping. NEXT WEEK IS GO WEEK.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have most of the gifts I'm giving (one more is ordered and shipped), but I just ... haven't gotten them wrapped and boxed and mailed. I just keep looking at them and sighing. Not feeling the jolly St Nick vibes yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, those look incredible, Gigi! What a great job you did! Amazing!
    It sounds like you are really well organized!

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is so cool. Are they needlepoint? Forgive me for not knowing how you created them. They look so amazing. I cannot believe he switched up his fav book on you. Yikes. I'm further behind than I've ever been. Lots of things going on and add to that our efforts to do festive things with the girls. I JUST sent my poem to the printer today that I need to insert in my cards.

    If you would like an invite to my blog while it's on a temporary private mode, please email me. My email is (my last name)clan7@yahoo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The pre-lit tree lights flaking out are the reason my husband and I spent a very long time looking for an unlit artificial tree. Yes, we have to put the lights every year, but when a strand burns out, we just replace the strand. We will have this tree until we die. Ha!

    Those book covers (cross-stitch? needlepoint?) are amazing! Such delicate work!

    ReplyDelete