July 14, 2013

Long Gone...a book review

I have spent the remainder of my vacation wrapped up in reading on the back porch.  No lie, I have finished at least four books since Thursday.

Of all the books I've read there is only one that is totally worthy of a mention - Long Gone by Alafair Burke.  I picked this book up this afternoon around 1:30 pm and have just put it down at 7:30-ish.

It was pretty much a read in one sitting kind of book - except I kept getting interrupted with necessary things like laundry....and other sundry domestic details.

Apparently, she has written other series-type books but this is her first stand-alone novel of suspense.  According to her website, she has a new book out - If You Were Here - that looks to be right up my alley.

But back to Long Gone - I loved it.

From the jacket flap...

"After a layoff and months of struggling, Alice Humphrey finally lands her dream job managing a new art gallery.....her friends think it sounds too good to be true.....Everything is perfect until the morning Alice arrives to find the gallery gone....and Drew Campbell's (the man who hired her) dead body of the floor...."

Needless to say she becomes the center of the investigation and you are pulled right in as she struggles to find the truth - and exonerate herself.

A few blurbs - from some of my favorite authors.....

"Alafair Burke understands the criminal mind.  Long Gone is both an education and an entertainment of the first order.  This is a very clever and very smart novel by a very clever and smart writer.  The dialogue crackles, the plot is intriguing, and the pacing is perfect."  Nelson DeMille

"Alafair Burke's first stand-alone is an absolutely riveting must-read - and the ending is a shocker you'll never see coming."  Lisa Scottoline

I've never read Alafair Burke before - but after this one, you can bet I will be on the lookout for more of her work.

If you are into suspense novels - buy this one, you won't be sorry.

1 comment:

  1. I don't usually read suspense novels, but this one I've got to try, after your review. Sounds like fun! :-)

    ReplyDelete