June 25, 2012

Words of Wisdom....the interactive edition

One of the best things I did for Man-Child's graduation party was to create this


I know it was a success because when we attended other graduation parties later the hostesses had stolen borrowed my idea....one even went so far as to "improve" on it by having the guests on video speaking their words of wisdom (I wish she'd given me a heads up about that little detail....all her son pretty much got from me was "call your mom often").

I also know it was a success because by the end of the night that little box was filled with words of wisdom to help send my boy off.  And remind him that he is loved beyond measure.

When I tried to fill out one of those cards, I knew I couldn't do it in one sitting.  Nor could a little card contain all that I had to say, so I just wrote, "Save your quarters for laundry and NOT for playing pool."

Since then, I have been jotting notes and ideas down in my spare time trying to amass enough wisdom to impart in letter form, of course.  It's not as "lecture-y" that way.

So far I have touched on how much he is loved, how we are his support system, to dream big, to make goals and work to reach them.  I have touched on sex, alcohol and drugs.  I have added how important it is to also  have fun.  And to remember that his parents are always here for him.

And then I had a thought.  Why not ask you?  You all have watched these past few years as Man-Child has morphed and grown.  Technically, you "know" him and are a part of his life (whether he realizes it or not). You all have vastly different life experiences to share.  You all have nuggets of wisdom, both funny and serious, that the next generation can benefit from.

So what say you?  What words of wisdom do you have that I should share with my son before he heads off into that great, unknown world otherwise known as college?

9 comments:

  1. Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but gets you nowhere. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Talk about feeling on the spot! I only think of M-C as being your son, your incredible product for the next generation. If I had him in front of him, I guess I'd give him the saying from John Lennon: Imagine. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do not wait until the last minute to print your report. The printer will ALWAYS be broken if you do and then you can't turn it in. (Of course if everything is turned in through email then this no longer applies.)

    Have 2 laundry baskets- one of them rectangular. Put dirty clothes in one and use the rectangular one for your clean clothes. Lay them all out flat and set them inside. No need to fold, but you won't look like a wrinkled mess.

    Trust no one in the dorm. Always lock your door and make sure your laptop, camera, phone, etc are out of sight.

    Eat in the cafeteria no matter how gross the food is. Paying for a meal off the dollar menu at McDonald's is a waste of money and the food is not much better. You will need the money for gas- save it.

    When you come home from college after your first year of school, do not be the jerk who thinks he knows it all and shows zero respect for his parents. Let them know where you're going, who you'll be with, and what time you'll be home. It will make life easier for all of you, but most importantly your parents will appreciate what a nice young man you have become instead of complaining about the brat you have turned into.

    Lastly, enjoy this time of your life! You will meet life-long friends and never again experience the freedom you will have while in college. Take it all in and live it up- within reason of course. And the girls will always be there, make sure to take time to hang out with your buddies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You will never regret the chances you took, only the ones you didn't.

    Unless those chances could land you in jail. At which time, you'll be happy you saved those quarters your Mom told you to. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll have to get back to you, I don't want to sound all emotional, rather than my normal snark.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoy and have fun but remember you are also there to study hard. (from a person who did too much of one!)

    BNM

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fabulous idea!!!!
    Wish I would have thought of that when my son graduated!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My favorite things that I say to Hailey all the time:
    1. Do what you have to do first and there will be plenty of time for what you want to do.
    2. Five years from now is this going to matter?
    3. No one loves you like your mother.

    ReplyDelete
  9. First of all, thanks for the idea! Love it! My advice, Mama and Daddy might not be with you, but your Heavenly Father said He'll never leave you. Pray!

    ReplyDelete