April 21, 2013

Living by the seat of your pants....and yeah, dorm life isn't my cup of tea

As you all know, hell froze over a few days ago and I went to visit Man-Child and, as you may recall, he actually asked me to stay over; thus "hell freezing over."

When Saturday morning dawned, a little later than normal since I found myself up later than usual watching the news of the capture, I had pretty much determined that it would be a day trip.

Until I got there.  The look on his face when he realized I hadn't planned on staying broke my heart.  In spite of protestations that I didn't have any pajamas, a toothbrush, a comb or any of my *stuff;* his puppy-dog eyes melted my resolve and I agreed to stay.  (It must have been a moment of insanity, because really?  Do you have ANY idea what I looked like when I headed home this morning???)

Man-Child is a wonderful host (he gets that from me, doncha know?) and showed me a fabulous time.  A time that included roller skating.  Do you have ANY idea how long it's been since I've been on skates?!  Before I agreed to go, I asked him if he knew where the nearest hospital was - just in case.  He laughed, silly boy, doesn't he know that advancing years makes for brittle bones?

It took a bit, but I finally found my "sea legs" again and was cruising along in no time.  Of course, we hadn't really thought it out....early Saturday afternoon means multiple birthday parties for small children....which, of course, meant THOUSANDS of small people were littering the floor which had us doing our best not to mow them down.

And for the most part, we were successful.  And just as I was thinking I (and many small children) would make it out of the roller rink alive and unscathed, Man-Child careened into me and down we went, into what must have been a SPECTACULAR fall since another woman came whooshing up to see if we were alright.  Man-Child told her we were fine but that he'd just taken out his mother.  He claims it was an accident, but I have my doubts as it seemed that I spent the majority of the time on the floor avoiding him more so than the little ones.

After this activity, we decided it might be safer to watch a movie until dinner.  We rented Django Unchained.  I had heard that this was a good movie, but really didn't know what it was about.  So as the opening credits were rolling, I was worried when he looked at me and said, "You know, I heard that if you can get past the racism and the bloody violence, this is a really good movie."

And he was right.  It was a good movie.  But it's a hard movie to watch considering that it was a movie about slavery.  And the violence?  Yeah, that was an understatement.

But the actors all brought their "A" games and despite it all, I really enjoyed the movie.

After the movie, we met up with his room-mate (who happened to be staying at his parents house this weekend, which is why I happened to be able to stay the night) for a late dinner.  I really enjoyed spending time with these two - they are funny and it's good to see that Man-Child has such a nice kid for a room-mate, I can see why they've decided to room together again next year.

After dinner, we settled in for the night.  And along about then is when I discovered, dorm-life is not for me.

Up until that time, the dorm had been pretty quiet every time we were in it.  But about the time, I had settled in and was thinking about sleep, the place became alive.  There were feet pounding up and down the hall.  Shouts and bellowing.  Doors slamming. Radios and televisions blaring.  And then, it became EXTREMELY apparent that having your room directly across from the communal bathroom (he's in an all-boy dorm) is NOT a good thing.  Mainly because, as we all know, bathrooms tend to echo.

Apparently, some kid had over-indulged "food poisoning" (don't kill my innocence here, people) and was ill for quite some time during the night.

Needless to say, I had a hard time drifting off.

But despite it all, I had a good night's sleep, albeit a very short one, and was up early.  Like very early.  Like, I was contemplating sneaking out and calling Man-Child later to say goodbye, early.

But I couldn't do that.  So I decided to "whisper" a good bye to him.  Well, apparently, his roommate doesn't wake him every morning with a whispered "Hey, buddy-bear? I'm going to get going."

I figured this out by the way he came flying out of bed in a panic as I peeked up at the top bunk, near his face, and said those exact words.

Once our heart palpitations calmed down, he decided that before I could leave, I needed to feed him breakfast.  You know, so he could go back to the dorm and go back to sleep.

Minus the heart palpitations and the wretchedness that went on in the middle of the night, I'd call this visit a success.  But next time?  I'm bringing my own pillows.  And my own *stuff.*


  1. Wow, I have never heard of a mom spending the night in the dorms! Man-child gets major points for this one. Has he been hinting at a new car?

  2. OH, this is so much fun! I can see it all now. You know you have a great relationship with your kid when he really means it when he asks you to stay. I also loved Django Unchained. I watched it under duress and then was very pleased when I realized I had enjoyed it thorough. The revenge factor at the end helped. :-)

  3. Oh my gosh! I am so impressed with man-child asking you to stay! I just went to visit E and I BARELY got in the front door!!

  4. If you can believe this, I used to coach competitive (artistic) roller skating and there's NO WAY IN YOU KNOW WHERE, you'd get me on them now. I'd break a hip! Glad you didn't break anything and had a pretty good visit, considering where you were. You're a brave woman! The things we do for our kids... Ha!

  5. I think that you should carry stuff in car just in case man child beckons again. But well done for braving the dorm though I do suggest ear plugs for next time!!


  6. Awww, bet you can't wait to do it again. Just knowing that he wants you there makes it all worthwhile.