June 3, 2014

No...I don't *want* to tell you (oh-so-young, new employee) what to wear but....obviously, someone needs to...

First and foremost, I am NOT an old, fuddy-duddy but...someone really needs to inform these oh-so-young employees about how to dress properly for this particularly, uber-conservative, corporate office.  And, apparently, this job has fallen to me.  So without further ado....

No.  I am NOT about to tell you that you should wear a suit every day.  Nor am I going to say that nylons are a MUST.  Or that open toed shoes are verboten.

Because, obviously, in this day and age that advice is ridiculous.  But what I AM going to suggest is that you look to your superiors.  Notice what are they wearing and emulate that - no, really.

There is an old adage that goes something along the lines of "Dress for the job you want."  Despite the fact that it is an old adage; it still holds true.

Which means...you should not, under any circumstances, come to work wearing a maxi sundress.  With sandals; which, while technically aren't flip flops they still make that slap, slap noise against your heels.  Basically, the rule of thumb is this, if your outfit is something that would work for a backyard barbecue or for a pool party then it is NOT the outfit for the uber-conservative, corporate office. Period.  Even if your job is "creative."

Remember that despite the whole "don't judge a book by the cover" thing - people do.  They will look at your oh-so-casual look and judge you.  They will deem you to be unprofessional.  And once you are deemed unprofessional, you will not be taken seriously.  And in the uber-conservative, corporate office where you are currently employed, THAT is the kiss of death - something to be avoided at all costs.

And besides, do you really want to be the subject of the whole "Did you see what she was wearing today" conversation that ensued?

Yes.  I agree.  It seems old fashioned.  But remember, you are working for the uber-conservative, corporate office.  All the men are still required to wear suits and ties (I KNOW!).  So if your boss is wearing a suit and tie then that pretty much rules out maxi sundresses and the almost flip flops for the office wardrobe.

4 comments:

  1. A maxi dress for me would be dressing to the nines. Sad, isn't it?! But, I hear ya. She needs to dress as expected.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live in maxi dresses and flip flops specifically fitflops but would I turn up to deliver my lectures in them? that would be a no, I still wear teaching clothes for that but I will try and get away with my fitflops if the lectern covers my feet :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It doesn't seem old fashioned to me. I agree! It irks me that people don't seem as professional these days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dress for the job you want! Perfect advice!

    ReplyDelete