June 11, 2014

I've always suspected but now I know....

Our receptionist is one of the nicest people in the world.  Really.  BUT...in the many years that I have been with this company I have always been of the opinion that she sends crazy phone calls to random departments just to screw with us.

Today, I discovered that this, is in fact, the truth.

Every time I see a phone call being transferred from the front desk to either my line or my one of my bosses lines, I know it's going to be a doozy.  See my last post about random phone calls from the front desk...

But, as I mentioned earlier, today I have the proof.

Today, I received a call from the mail room.  Remember that...it's an integral part to this story.

The guy from the mail room started off the conversation with this...

"So-n-So sent this call to me; so I'm sending it to you..."

I headed him off at the pass.  Because with an opening like THAT, I KNEW this was a call I DID NOT want to take - particularly considering that it was almost 4:30 pm.  Everyone knows that after 4:30 pm no real work is getting done, if you can avoid it.

I asked what they wanted.  And he informed me that this was an individual who was NOT HAPPY.  And that if we didn't give him money he was going to sue...  What is it with these people?  Do they think we sit here and write out handsome checks to people just because they utter the word lawsuit?

I informed the mail room guy that he should tell the guy to call his lawyer.  Because, honestly?  It really isn't my job to help some random person sue the company that I currently WORK FOR.

Two minutes later, I received another call from the mail room...this time asking me if I knew John Doe?  Basically, playing the "Don't you know who I am?!" card.  I replied that I damn sure did not and, to be clear, I didn't care.

After that the phone was quiet.  And then, after thinking about the situation, the truth became glaringly obvious.  The receptionist IS screwing with us all.  Because WHY, in God's name, would you send someone who is screaming "lawsuit" to the mail room and not the Legal Department?

3 comments:

  1. I believe it's in the job description, Geej. :-)

    1. Answer phones.
    2. Screw with the other employees.

    Pearl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Got to be a boring job, but I think it does require someone with a bit of a brain inside the noggin. She must be doing something right, though, to still be in the job. :-)

    ReplyDelete