July 8, 2018

The Outsider...a book review.

Man-Child recently brought it to my attention that Stephen King had a new book out.  And, he reported, that it was a LARGE book.  This piqued my interest, as I continue to maintain that where Stephen King is concerned, the larger the book the better, as the characters and story line are more fleshed out; drawing you in.

Which is how I found myself at a local book store a couple of weeks ago buying said book.



It's no secret around here, I adore Stephen King's writings.  This was no exception...but...before I recommend this one to everyone I know - the initial crime is horrific.  Like, really horrific. And it involves children.  The description is graphic.

But overall, if you can get past that (and it's hard) this book is really good.  I've been in a reading slump for the past few months.  It was more than a slump...it was more like a "I can't be bothered because nothing is interesting enough" kind of deal.  This book brought me back to reading.

The description from Amazon:

An unspeakable crime.  A confounding investigation.  At a time when the King brand has never been stronger, he has delivered one of his most unsettling and compulsively readable stories.

An eleven-year-old boy's violated corpse is found in a town park.  Eyewitnesses and fingerprints point unmistakably to one of Flint City's most popular citizens.  He is Terry Maitland, Little League coach, English teacher, husband, and father of two girls.  Detective Ralph Anderson, whose son Maitland once coached, orders a quick and very public arrest.  Maitland has an alibi, but Anderson and the district attorney soon add DNA evidence to go with the fingerprints and witnesses.  Their case seems ironclad.

As the investigation expands and horrifying answers begin to emerge, King's propulsive story kicks into high gear, generating strong tension and almost unbearable suspense.  Terry Maitland seems like a nice guy, but is he wearing another face?  When the answer comes, it will shock you as only Stephen King can.

The book is about 576 pages long - I read it in just a few days because, seriously, it is a page turner.  In fact, I spent about 90% of last Sunday just reading.

Again, the "unspeakable crime" is horrific; but if you can make it past that it becomes a compelling story.

Much to Man-Child's chagrin, I have already lent the book to a fellow King enthusiast.  What he failed to realize is this - I lent it to him first in order to be sure we get the book back for Man-Child to read, as I lent it with the caveat that Man-Child still wanted to read it.

What books are you finding to be page turners?  Spill it, we all want to know!

5 comments:

  1. I have always enjoyed Stephen King's novels. I might have to skip this one, though. Thanks for the review. I recently finished "Cloud Atlas" which is anything but a page turner, but it was very good and I'm glad I plowed through. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have NEVER read Stephen King. Maybe I will give him a try.

    I like jeanette walls. Glass castle and Brownback horses. I just read 'the Dream' which was similar. I have a hold on a book called 'weird crazy Asia's or something. Oh I read the orphan train book recently. That was good. I also read 'Before we were yours' which I liked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ernie, I wouldn't recommend this book as your first Stephen King read. I would suggest something else, like The Stand. the Shining or Misery...anything but this one. Also, you have to go in willing to believe anything is possible.

      Delete
  3. Oooh, I like a good book recommendation. It's been a while since I've picked up a Stephen King book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband is a big King fan -- but I have to admit the only King book's I've ever read are "On Writing" and "Mr. Mercedes." Both pretty excellent, for different reasons! The best page turner I've read recently was "Dark Matter" by Blake Crouch. Really interesting and different!

    ReplyDelete