May 2, 2021

It's that time of year again...

...when it's time to begin the annual battle with weeds and that damn blackberry bush.  As a side note, I have just realized I've been battling with that blackberry bush since 2016!  You would have thought by now it would have just given up.

It's almost as bullheaded as I am...but as I told each and every one of those sprigs I pulled up yesterday, it should just go ahead and give up because I will yank each and every one out until the day I die, because I will not concede!

I am going to try to follow the strategy of getting out there at least once a week to yank out any of the blackberry bush or other unwelcome weeds.  That was my plan last year and I don't remember it being too onerous; once the initial purge was done.

Today found me gathering all my courage and heading out to tackle the front beds...that are filled with juniper...which critters just LOVE.  Again, I avoided the bed of juniper on the slope near the road because I know for a fact that at least one snake lives in there.  I planned to tackle the beds up near the house, where I have told myself that snakes wouldn't want to live.  Yes, I lie to myself all the time when necessary...don't try to talk me out of it.  Otherwise, these beds would NEVER be weeded.

But, come to think of it, if I let the weeds take over would it actually choke out and kill the juniper?  Hmmm....something to ponder.  Particularly since I now hate the juniper as much as, if not more, than that damn blackberry bush.  Would the weeds kill it before it came to the homeowner's association's notice?  Doubtful.

We have a guy coming tomorrow to give us a quote on removing the snake infested juniper on the slope.  The Husband asked me what I would be willing to spend on this project.  I told him that everything we had seemed reasonable.  

His concern is that we wouldn't be able to grow grass on that slope and would have to spend big money on putting in a long retaining wall.  I'm thinking if we sod the area, it would be okay.  The neighbors on either side of us have the same slope, minus the juniper and they have grass.  So, I'm crossing my fingers that the price is right and my sod solution works.  And, as I told The Husband, even if it doesn't work and everything washes away that would still be preferable to having that snake infested mess in the front yard.

18 comments:

  1. OK you're creeping me out, knowing that you have a snake within slithering distance of your front door. Or back door. Or wherever. (Shiver)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara...those junipers are the bane of my existence. Had I realized how much they would vex me, we probably wouldn't have bought this house.

      Delete
  2. We had some wild blackberries growing behind where we lived - one year we picked them (boy, was that fun - and I had 5 cats at the time!) and my husband made the best tasting jam I've ever had. That was the only plus side. On the other side is the fact that I now buy blackberry jam and avoid bushes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You sure do know how to make that snake-infested juniper area sound horrible! I do hope it turns into something you love. Blackberries are notorious intruders, but I know you will prevail. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is truly awful, DJan. Even if it weren't for the snakes weeding that bed would be more of a nightmare than the big bed in the back.

      Delete
  4. What is it about snakes and juniper? We had juniper on our shoreline and it was infested with black watersnakes. I am terrified of snakes, so out it came, along with anything else a snake might inhabit. The evil things still come and sun themselves on the rocks, but they do NOT LIVE THERE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my hope - to make them find a new home!

      Delete
  5. You lost me at "snake-infested juniper". And by lost me, I mean I'm never coming to visit you until it's gone. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Snake-infested is not a way I'd like to describe anything on our property. Sorry about your juniper which didn't deserve this fate. We've had a couple of retaining walls built here. Not to sound negative, but there will be sticker shock should you go that route. 😧

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the juniper deserves to disappear - not just because of the snakes but also because of the unsightly weeds.

      Delete
  7. I finished painting our foundation today. I just refuse to admit that snakes would live in the leaves along the side, or removing them with my bare hands as I went along would not have happened. I'd have just painted the leaves right in. :)

    When we get rid of the beach roses I use a weed killer and "glue" liquid on the leaves. (you mix it in a sprayer - I get it at the local garden supply store) It travels through the leaves and kills down to the root system. Works in three weeks or so, and kills nearly everything. You may have to repeat it next year just in case there's dormant roots, but it should take care of the bush once and for all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may need the name of that weed killer - so far, nothing has touched that blackberry bush - and I don't want to use Round Up for various reasons.

      Delete
    2. I *think* we may be headed there this weekend to pick out my mother's day bulbs. I will see if I can find the stuff I used and shoot you an email. :)

      Delete
  8. Snake infested junipers! I cannot even relate to this in the least! I guess this is a benefit of living where I do. Who knew?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm....snakes and critters? Or snow and cold for the majority of the year? I'd almost give up the milder weather for no snakes.

      Delete
  9. I loathe juniper. We had several beds of it and removed most, but one area is still there and I avoid it. Not even making eye contact. :) Good luck-hopefully your person can rectify the snake area for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That stuff is vile - even if snakes didn't live there - you can't properly weed it and it just looks awful.

      Delete
  10. Yes I know blackberries are delicious but their ferocious vines are not worth it

    ReplyDelete