August 17, 2021

Gigi's Favorite Things: My all time (so far) favorite hair products edition

This is a feature that my friend, Nicole (HI NICOLE!), does that I have stolen co-opted.

If you've been around here for a while; then you know that thoughts about my hair is usually on the top ten list in my mind at all times.  Vanity?  No.  I just really want to get through this life without being mistaken for a yeti - hence, the preoccupation.

Currently, there are three "must have" products for me and my hair.  

In a desperate attempt to stop frizzy hair (particularly during the humid summer) a creamy leave-in conditioner is an absolute must for me.  I have found that most any creamy leave-in conditioner works for me (spray on leave-in just does not appeal to me in the slightest - actually ANY spray on product does not work for me as it feels like the majority of the spray ends up on the floor and not on my hair) but right now I am loving Garnier Fructis Curl Nourish.


I really like the way this stuff feels and it doesn't seem to weigh my hair down.  Which, honestly, after 19 months without a haircut IS a bigger issue than one would think.

Next up is one of my very favorites, Aquage Uplifting Foam.



It may be my imagination, but whenever I use this on the crown  it seems that I have more "lift" up there...otherwise the curls just weigh everything down.  

While the majority of these products are curl related - this one is not.  So, those of you with lovely, straight hair - if you try this, I'd love to hear if this works for you too!

Generally, my favorite all-around product (i.e., the one that is used for the majority of "styling" - if you consider putting product in wet hair, scrunching it all in, letting it air dry and then scrunching out the cast and fluff "styling" that is) is Aquage Curl Defining Creme.


Gosh, it looks like *I* took these pictures,
they are so blurry!


This stuff really does help define and set the curls.  Granted, it will give me the "wet" look of the 80s after it's dried...but I can then crunch it out and fluff to remedy that issue.  I can't say with all honestly that I have fabulous hair days every day when using this - but it comes pretty close and I can't think of another product that can make that claim.

In the second best column, I have Aquage Defining Gel.  



This also gives you that crunchy, wet look that is quickly remedied with crunching it out and fluffing after it fully dries.  I really like this product but can't pinpoint the exact "why" this comes in second best.  Generally, this is what I reach for if I am out of the creme product.

Shockingly (or maybe not), as a child my hair was not curly.  The older I get the curlier it seems to get...go figure.  

At any rate, not long after I decided to stop straightening it, I chanced upon a blog post about curly hair (how do you write a blog about that one, very SPECIFIC, topic??  That's the only thing this blog ever wrote about) where the very first sentence went something along the lines of about how it is a "LOT of work" to have curly hair.  

This made me laugh - as someone who used to spend forty-five minutes to an hour EVERY day straightening my hair, going with my natural hair pattern is much easier (five minutes, maybe?  Not counting the time it takes to air dry).  Then I read her routine.  Well, if I was going to go through all of that I might as well straighten it.  So, I think I'll stick with my three, tried and true products* and my "styling" routine.


* It goes without saying (except here I am saying it), that I will also try other products that sound promising (what can I say?  Marketing people LOVE people like me) but, so far, I keep returning to these.  So for now, these are my "go to" hair products.

Feel free to dish and tell me about your favorites in the comments - who knows, maybe one of you will point me to a new "go to" hair product.  ;-)
















17 comments:

  1. I have curly hair and before the pandemic I used to straighten mine about once a year. I'd do that, then remember why I like curls and frizz better. I'll look for the Garnier Fructis Curl Nourish. I like GF products, but have never tried that one. Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ally - I actually straightened mine for the first time in years the other day...nope. I'll work with what I have. I can usually find the conditioner on Target's website and CVS...although our CVS has been pretty hit and miss lately.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use Giovanni's tea tree oil shampoo, I like the way it feels on my scalp. I could probably put just about anything on my hair and it wouldn't look any different. I do sometimes run a comb through it after washing. That's it. And my hair is straight and short! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard great things about tea tree oil, I'll have try that!

      Delete
  4. Big fan of Biolage Tea tree and mint shampoo and The conditioner (paul mitchell). The key to the leave in conditioner is to rub it in your hands until it turns white, otherwise it just sits on your hair. Oldest and I actually don't need any product when we use it because it keeps the frizz down and gives it some manageability and hold.

    Course I'm driving around in a mail truck all day and he's got famously great hair, so....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's two votes for tea tree shampoo...most certainly I'll have to try it. I'm intrigued by this conditioner too.

      Delete
  5. I have wavy hair that tends toward curly, sometimes. (And not very well in the back. Sigh.) I am forever trying to products to help it look like the beautiful effortless curls some of my friends have, without success so far. But I like the look of that uplifting foam!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find that the longer I go without straightening it the better the curls.

      Delete
    2. Oh and using your fingers to coil the hair might help too.

      Delete
  6. HI GIGI! I have just recently started using a "lift" product and I don't know why I haven't done this before. My hair is not exactly curly, but it's certainly not straight, and so it can be challenging! I definitely had straight hair as a child but it's changed with age (I mean, what hasn't?).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It could me my imagination, but really does seem to help. What product is working for you?

      Delete
  7. I've never heard of this Aquage brand before. I have about 8 hairs that are wavy/almost curly. The rest are just limp and lifeless. Occasionally I'll say: Hey, lets just put in some light gel, scrunch it up and let it do it's thing. Every time I say: WHY DID I DO THAT?
    I love that you embrace your (new to you) curls and work with them instead of against; what a time saver.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You can find their products at ULTA and Amazon. Their brand covers all the different types of hair. I think I heard of it about 2 1/2 years ago or so.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This past weekend I had my littlest granddaughter who is a Curly Girl. She gave me several tutorials about how to take care of her hair. I'll remember these products for when she is older. Right now, as long as I use conditioner and a wide-tooth comb, she's happy. (Oh, and braiding it while it's wet into two golden pigtails.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hair products are so amazing...when you have hair. Well, technically, I still do...nothing that will regrow it and make it shiny, strong and beautiful like it once was, though! Fun post! :) Mona

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am presently using Harry's shower gell, with scents of stones and trees. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So late to the party here, but I really like the 3P1 styling cream from Mario Tricoci. I use beautiful mess by Deva Curl in the MOST tiniest specs- just on the cluster of dried out/very curly hair I have in the front. If I use too much it makes my hair look greasy. My hairdresser has Curly and I only using product that are sulfate free. I will have to do an update post about what Curly has fallen in love with. Her hair went from looking like a puffy dried out mess to beautiful curly hair. Mine? Well, it looks better, but no miracles here.

    ReplyDelete