January 1, 2022

Christmas 2021 and the aftermath

 Hello!  We made it to the other side; to that weird, quiet period between Christmas and New Year's.

I hope you (if you celebrate) had a wonderful Christmas.  Ours was wonderful.  We had Man-Child and his girlfriend for Christmas Eve AND Christmas morning.  Our friends, two doors down, joined us for a full on seafood feast that The Husband presented us - and it was perfect and delightful.  

The littlest of our guests was delighted when he discovered the exact Transformer he wanted was under our tree - watching the delight on a child's faces as they open a gift that they had their little heart set on is the best gift ever, don't you think?

Since Christmas Eve was a late one; we got off to a slow start on Christmas morning.  But, in the end, we were all ridiculously spoiled and felt very blessed.  I did feel a bit bereft after the kids hurried out the door to the girlfriend's parents but I also understood - I know how stressful it can be for them to balance the "important events" between her parents and his - it's just life.  And I am grateful for every minute we had with them.

After Christmas, my mind then turned to the issue I had been avoiding thinking about...Man-Child had surgery scheduled for the 27th.  Back surgery.

Yes, it was an out-patient surgery but still...a mother worries.  

It was scheduled to begin at 5:45 pm on Monday.  All of Monday had me in a snit due to my nervousness.  His pre-op was scheduled for 3:45 pm - that's when the anxiety really began to ratchet up.  We were not able to be at the hospital, as they only allowed one guest in and he chose, you guessed it, his girlfriend.  Luckily, she agreed to keep us updated and let us know when he was discharged so that we could meet them at the apartment to see him for ourselves and, more importantly, help get him up the steep stairs that leads to his apartment.  The surgery was then pushed back to around 7:15 pm due to a prior surgery going longer than expected.  Which made me wonder...when is it too late for a surgeon to operate after a full day?!  They finally arrived at the apartment around 11 pm, we got him up the stairs somehow (we were all in a row, clutching the stair rails hoping he didn't fall - he didn't).

The surgeon said that everything went really well and our fingers are crossed that this surgery will give him some much needed relief.  In the meantime, I'm happy to report, he is recuperating well.

New Year's Eve was a quiet one here.  The Husband created a beautiful, tasty (although too large for just the two of us) charcuterie board to give us some nibbles.


That will be (one) of his challenges as we move into the new year; learning how to scale DOWN in regards to food.  As I expected, we still have more nibbles for the next few days.

I went back into the archives to see what I had to say at this time last year - and I'd have to say it pretty much still rings true.  Yes, this was another hard year.  But, we have each other to lean on as needed; and that is a true blessing. 

Happy New Year, my friends.  Let's face it together. xo




18 comments:

  1. So glad he's on the mend. Taking off this week has proven to be the smartest thing I've done in years. Though I have no idea what day it is, and I've eaten nothing as pretty as that board!

    I don't know taht I've ever had a "bad" year per say. Some were tougher than others, but there have been highs and lows with all of them. That's kind of why I do New Year's cards instead of Christmas ones, it gives me a chance to go through all the good memories. 5 years from now, I want to look back and only remember those ones. (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so discombobulated that the newspaper is pretty much the only way I know what day it actually is! I'm glad you took this week off. Happy New Year, Juli!

      Delete
  2. Back surgery IS scary. I'm happy that he got through it and is doing better.
    That was a board for the two of you? Yes, your honey needs to work on his portions. ;)

    I'm glad you had a nice Christmas! Happy 2022

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Suz. Fingers crossed that the surgery "takes." The Husband really does need to work on portions! Happy New Year!

      Delete
  3. I'm glad it went well and he is better.
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year, Gigi! Sounds like your holidays were lovely. How's the retirement going so far?

    I am so glad he's recovering from his surgery, yikes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year, Nicole. It's hard to say about the retirement - we'll find out tomorrow when I am logged in to work.

      Delete
  5. I am also very glad to hear the surgery went well. Always scary when it's your own kid. And I'd love to have that board appear in my kitchen! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, DJan. That board had all kinds of yummy things...just a LOT of it. Happy New Year!

      Delete
  6. I'm happy to hear that your son made it through smoothly (for him, not necessarily for you). I hope that the entire family stays health and happy in the coming year(s), and save some of that charcuterie for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Barbara. It was nerve wracking particularly since I wasn't there to "will" everything to go well. Happy New Year!

      Delete
  7. Patience above! What a board! It doesn't lack variety! He did well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His motto in regard to food, it seems, is more always better.

      Delete
  8. That sounds like such a lovely Christmas, Gigi! And I am glad the surgery went well and I hope it offers your son some relief. Happy New Year to you! I am so happy to know you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad your son is doing well. And he and his girlfriend must be serious is she spent Christmas with you AND was the one he wanted at the hospital with him. :) I hope you have a wonderful 2022!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good news about the surgery and results of it. Yay! I like your charcuterie board. I made one for my husband and I for Christmas Eve, but didn't think to photograph it. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy New Year. I'm glad everything went well with the surgery (I'd have been a wreck).

    Here's to a 2022 that gives us all a break. We need it.

    ReplyDelete