February 25, 2022

The memo I've been dreading has arrived...

As I've watched all the local restrictions and mask mandates drop away, I knew this day was was fast approaching and I have been DREADING it.

We have been summoned back to the office in two weeks - masks optional.

Granted, we have been told that the status quo from now on will be that we only have to be in the office two days a week and can work from home (or where ever) the other three days.  This particular bit of news was pleasant and also came as a shock because I never saw THAT coming.  And they aren't even mandating which days - we get to pick and choose.

But...it still feels to early to go back - particularly sans masks - and based on several conversations, I feel fairly confident that there will be a lot of people who will choose not to mask.  I hope I am wrong on that score...

I was talking to my boss the other day on another matter when he asked how I felt about the news.  I was honest and told him I wasn't thrilled - especially the mask bit.  I also told him how I have been told point blank by a few co-workers that they REFUSE to get vaccinated and that I really wasn't comfortable about being in the building with this information.

I know if he had a say in the matter, our little team could continue to work from home.  Sadly, he does not.

I also know - based on several conversations with various co-workers that they are "done" with the whole thing and think it's nuts that we are still being so very vigilant.  But here's the deal - we've avoided it so far and I'd like to continue that trend for the time being.  And the more I read about possible long term effects - and knowing our risk factors - the more I know that I REALLY don't want either of us to get it.

What baffles me is the insistence that we NEED to be in the office.  I mean, I can see having the building open and available for people to come and go as necessary; but what is the point of mandating that we NEED to be there two days a week; particularly since most of use have adapted and don't need to be there very much?  My usual method of madness, during the past two years, has been to head in on a Saturday/Sunday or random holiday (basically when I knew it would be just me and the security guy in the building) to check the mail and do a few tasks that I can't do from home.  This practice opened my eyes to just how much I CAN do from home (basically, 99% percent of my job can be done from home).  Usually, those once a week visits were wrapped up in less than an hour.  I can understand that there might be times where it's an "all hands on deck" kind of situation but that seems like that would be the rare occurrence.

I know things will have to go "back" to normal (no, we will never go back to the way it was, I don't think - some of us have been changed by this shared experience in so many big and small ways) eventually...but it just feels too soon to try to force it right now.

7 comments:

  1. I'm sorry about that memo. I agree with you 100% that staying apart and wearing masks when together is the only rational approach to keeping this virus at bay. My husband now works 2 days a week in the office, 3 days at home. Slowly companies are attempting to force people back in the office. But to what end, I wonder? More illness? Who benefits from that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you and wish that we could continue to mask up for the long term. I don't plan on stopping my own masking any time soon. We are old and immunocompromised. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the way it's going to be now. And while I would love to be Back To Normal, the reality is that things just aren't. We're simply bending to the will of those who are impatient and Over It. When I was at the grocery store on Wednesday, I noticed that all the social distancing stickers on the floor had been removed. Likewise, all signs regarding masking.

    I'm going to continue to mask indoors at public places. People are gross, plain and simple. The antivaxxers are out there, as you say, and they're not ever going to relent. I'm sorry that you got that memo and have to go in with everyone and put yourself and your husband at risk.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh nooooo. I am so sorry, Gigi. Masks are "optional" at schools now, SCHOOLS! My kids have chosen to continue to mask, and I asked them what it was like in the school - they said EVERYONE is continuing to mask. Kids are smarter than adults, I think. I'd like to think that your coworkers would continue to mask, but that seems unlikely.

    My husband is supposed to go back to the office 3 days a week starting next week. Everyone is still masked and I think all his colleagues are vaccinated, so I'm not worried. What I do wonder though is what's next. My friend's husband's company (it's a small company, like ten people) have gotten rid of their office altogether since it worked so well to be working from home. They are saving tons of money on office space lease. It feels like more companies would choose that, but no.

    I will continue to mask for a long time. I don't think I'll ever fly on a plane without a mask again. I just think they work, period.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, you knew it was coming, but the whole two days in the office sounds like a nice compromise. I hope all goes smoothly for you and your co-workers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There's nothing preventing you from masking up so continue to do so and try not to react to those idiots who refuse to vaccinate or wear masks and mock you for doing so. After all, the pandemic somehow has turned into a liberal hoax and none of those thousand of dead people died of Covid (which doesn't exist). Sorry for the anger theme except my husband was one of those faking death.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do like that they're giving you a choice of which days to go to the office. Twice seems manageable. I figured this was what the memo was, and I was initially thinking OH NO, YOU JUST GOT A NEW DESK. At least you still get to use your new desk. I hope it proves to be less overwhelming than it feels right now.

    ReplyDelete