February 26, 2022

Saturday bits of random

 Rather than respond with multiple repeats to your comments on the last post, I figured I would respond here.  

I think part of the reasoning behind the return order is partially because we own our building.  I can see the thought of "Well, we are paying to keep the lights on, the HVAC running, etc...we might as well be IN the building a little."

I have been informed that the building is currently on the market - which may mean that the in office policy "could" (theoretically) change in the future.  We shall see.

And yes, I am grateful beyond measure that they have recognized that working from home has been a success (as they should.  I know for a fact that most of us have worked longer hours working from home than we ever did in the office - where we all just stopped working and went home at the end of the day usually) and will allow us to work from home for the majority of the week.

As I stated, my whole issue with returning to the office is the "mask optional" bit.  My plan is to continue to mask, avoid as many people as I can and continue to refuse when asked to go for lunch.  

Despite the nonsense the CDC has recently put out (most Americans can forego masking, etc. - which honestly, CDC - WHAT in the actual hell?); it just seems to me that it is too early to rush to judgment (IT'S OVER!).

No, it is not.  Even the American Medical Association stated that it's not over.  There are still those with compromised immune systems to think about and children under the age of five - or do they not matter?

Ok - enough.  The title of this post refers to random...so let's move on, shall we?

***

Thanks to Nicole's (HI NICOLE!) last two posts, this morning when I was getting dressed to head to the (thankfully) empty office, I actually stopped to take the time to spritz on my favorite perfume, add my jewelry and pick out a cute pair of red driving shoes.  While I have continued to wear actual clothes, apply makeup and fix my hair throughout the pandemic - I haven't had "fun" getting dressed.  Today, I had fun and actually looked forward to figuring out my outfit for the day.  Thank you, Nicole!  

Also, did you know that if you let your silver jewelry sit unused for two years it will tarnish?  Huh.  Guess I'll be cleaning jewelry tomorrow; not as much fun - but it will be ready when I want to wear them.

***

The home office.  It is sort of kind of together.  My initial plan had been to move the bed upstairs - but for now it's still in the home office.  And that's fine.  The desk could be a *smidge* longer but works.  The chair is nowhere near as comfortable as I'd like - but it works.  Having a dedicated space?  TOTALLY WORKS!

To the point that The Husband actually said, "I guess I'll never see you now..." as I walked in and shut the door to start the testing/training that was the impetus of the home office in the first place.

I love it - when I'm in the home office - it is quiet.  Imagine that!  I should have had one of these eons ago.  I have also turned to the home office during off hours just to experience the quiet...or compose a blog post (guess where I am right now?). ;-)

Speaking of the testing/training...OH MY GOD - the system seems fine - as long as everyone is properly trained (and they will need to be after spending decades doing something a certain way) - but the remote testing/training could be better managed.  So far, we've had five sessions.  Of those five sessions, only ONE was informative to me.  One particular session, we spent over an hour trying to get all of us logged in on our "mobiles" (said in a British accent).  And one session went nearly an hour over (which ok, if it is informative and NOT impeding lunch hour - which it did.  Lunch at 2:00 pm?  Not fun.)  Extremely frustrating.  Most of the other sessions were spent on a module that 90% of us in the meeting would never use.  As far as I can determine, we've got at least three more sessions; I'm hoping those will actually be useful and not a waste of my time.

***

I thought there was one other topic that I wanted to visit - but for the moment can't remember what that might have been.  



11 comments:

  1. I have a considerable collection of sterling silver bracelets that are tarnished and sad. Ah, well. I am no longer a jewelry person as I was back in the 80s.

    The CDC has lost any credibility it had. I feel like it is a neurotic mom who gives in to her kids when she's tired and they keep whining about McDonald's from the backseat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The CDC - the one's we are supposed to trust to keep us safe - has completely failed us. So frustrating.

      Delete
  2. I knew about silver and how it tarnished. Last spring I cleaned mine in anticipation of getting back out in the world, but that didn't happen, did it? Now it's tarnished again. If nothing else about these last two years, I've morphed into a woman who doesn't accessorize. Or go anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm right there with you Ally. These days I'd rather stay home. You'd think that would mean I would clean the house more often...I don't.

      Delete
  3. Yes, I knew that about silver. I think they make pouches that you can leave the jewelry in and they won't tarnish. Maybe? maybe I just made that up.

    Yay for your home office!! And double YAY for getting ready to go somewhere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suz, your comment intrigued me so I immediately Googled it and they DO make pouches and they are currently in my cart! Of course, I'll still have to clean what I have before inserting the jewelry. You, my friend, are a genuis.

      Delete
  4. HI GIGI! Ooooh I'm so excited for you and the fun of getting dressed. RED DRIVING SHOES!!!

    I discovered the easiest possible way to polish silver jewelry. First, you line a bowl with aluminum foil and put the jewelry in it. Bring water to a boil and add it to the bowl, plus a tablespoon of baking soda for every cup of water. Leave it there, and voila! Perfectly polished jewelry!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Most of my shoes these days are flats. But I figure since I generally dress in black/gray or other neutrals that my shoes need to POP! Which explains the red, the pink, the fuchsia, the leopard print, etc. shoes in my closet.

    Thanks for the tip about cleaning the jewelry. I have a solution that's supposed to clean them - but it really doesn't do a good job. I shall try your method!

    ReplyDelete
  6. History shows again and again whenever we loosen up our response to a plague it returns and reinstating rules becomes even more difficult. I am keeping my mask on.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not a lot of work - drop tarnished Sterling Silver and just dirty jewelry into Sudsy Ammonia for a while. The ammonia removes crud and the sudsy part of it gently gets everything shiny clean. Do not put in 'paste' jewelry (anything glued).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay for a dedicated home office! So glad that it is workable and serves its purpose!

    ReplyDelete