February 6, 2022

Waffling...it is what I do best


I've been pretty MIA around the blog-o-verse lately.  Sorry about that.

Life has been pretty quiet around here - well, not "quiet" exactly, since The Husband is now home a good majority of the days.  My quiet hours have drastically dwindled to next to never and I miss them.

Last week, I was informed that I am to be a "lab rat" to test a new system our company is hoping to roll out soon.  I haven't started this training/testing yet, but I can already hear the howls from many of the old-timers (of which, I am one now shockingly - just a few years ago, I was still considered a "newbie" even after being with the company for 15 years) at the thought of drastically changing the way things are done.  Maybe it will be a good thing; I've got my fingers crossed.

At any rate, this news finally lit a fire under me and I have ordered a desk and a chair to put in the current guest room - this training/testing will take place over several hours for several weeks; and it just isn't feasible for me to continue to work from the dining room table any more and expect The Husband to disappear or tiptoe around while I am engaged in this extensive training/testing.  

As is my wont, I looked at EVERY.SINGLE.DESK on the internet; narrowed it down to ten or so.  Then left the tabs open in my browser while I waffled about which one would best meet my needs.  Once I finally figured out which one I wanted (this was a DAYS long process, by the way); I then realized I needed a chair to accompany said desk and the whole process started all over again.

At any rate, they have been ordered and, hopefully, I will have transitioned into my new "home office" by the end of the week.

I must admit, I WILL be pleased to have all the office detritus cleared out of the main living area. 

Now I am off to waffle over what I will waffle over next.


20 comments:

  1. I am transitioning the other half of Bonus son's old bedroom from storage to (finally after 17 years) a craft/sewing room. The goal is to not buy any new furniture but rather repurpose existing stuff we already have. It's going, well, slow. But much faster than working off the kitchen table and having to slide everything back and forth when someone actually wants to sit there. Good luck with your new home office. I suspect that it will make working from home much easier when you can close the door on distractions. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Waffling is good. It also keeps the money in your pocket longer. At least until you make up your mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, it will be so nice for you to have a "home office." That sounds like a lot of work, Gigi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was reluctant because I liked being able to be in the kitchen and hear when an email or Teams call came in - and I don't think I will be able to hear it from the back bedroom/office. But now that it's happening, I'm finally on board.

      Delete
  4. My husband is like that: researches everything before buying. Me not so much, I look for something that is "good enough" and then buy it. Hope this works out well for you, Gigi. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, DJan. I've always been a waffler but more so now that it's all online and I can't "see" or "touch" before it actually arrives.

      Delete
  5. I did the same thing when I retired from teaching. I simply could not imagine life without my own desk, and the one in the home office was an enormous, hulking thing I hated. I did what you did (except brought my own chair home from school), wandering around the Interwebs forever before finally deciding on one. It made a huge difference in the room and a huge difference for me.

    I know you'll be happy to have your own dedicated spot, Gigi. The dining room will feel less cluttery, and your home will feel more relaxed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Ally - having the dining room actually look like a dining room will be a huge. I'm glad you found a desk that you like - having one that you hate means you'd never use it.

      Delete
    2. Dang it! Sorry, I meant Nance - sigh

      Delete
  6. I believe that no important decision can be made without the requisite amount of waffling. I know that when I FINALLY bought myself a desk and proper office chair my life improved exponentially. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Waffling is important, I think, for some. Until I do it for so long that nothing gets accomplished (it's happened before). Having this "deadline" of sorts was just what I needed to get this done.

      Delete
  7. I'm less worried about the desk than I am about this TESTING, say what? I think I'd be anxious over that. Study hard, or is that not on the agenda - I hope not. I'm glad that you got something ordered. Coach and I are waffling about our travel, or not to travel to Budapest situation right now, and it is making my head spin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This testing/training could probably be self-led; but it won't. I'm not looking forward to it particularly. But if this system works better than what we currently have; I'm all in.

      Delete
  8. Desks and chairs are SO difficult to buy! Especially if you are doing the searching online! I mean, I have trouble even if I get to sit in a bunch of chairs. How do you KNOW you will like it???

    I giggled a little at how your quiet hours have dwindled. I think I can sense the mixture of feelings that are swirling around behind that statement! Hoping you two establish a good routine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?! At this point, I HAVE to like it whether or not I want since it just arrived and I will test drive it tomorrow.

      Yes, Suzanne, there is DEFINITELY a mixture of feelings in that sentence. After nearly three years of working in near silence to be suddenly thrown into a "busy" household; it's taking some getting used to (the understatement of the year).

      Delete
  9. Gigi,
    So glad you're getting a dedicated space. I fully understand about the myriad distractions when you're trying to work around family, including the four-legged ones. And Birdie, our cat, is insistent enough that she'll actually sit in front of my computer screen. If I ignore her, she will bite me...not too hard, but she definitely gets my attention. Brat! Hope your hubs doesn't do that. I hope you get the perfect desk and chair and space and that you make it just perfect for you! Hope the testing and training go well, too! Mona

    ReplyDelete
  10. Making those furniture decisions is nothing to take on lightly. Right? I mean, you've got to live with them for a long time. I hope the beta testing goes smoothly and that your new office arrives soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm over from Ally's. After decades of choosing the wrong (or not quite the right) article of furniture, I'm decision phobic. I hope you do better than I do/did!

    ReplyDelete