May 7, 2022

What?! It's ONLY been four years.

No, I have not actually fallen off the face of the earth; although based on my lackluster posting habits I wouldn't blame you if you assumed I had.

Does anyone remember WAY back in 2018 when I painted the guest bath vanity me mentioning that I wanted to rip out the other, unnecessary vanity and put in built in shelving for some much needed storage?

There are a myriad of reasons as to why those built ins were not done at the time - far too onerous (and boring for you) to get into here.

To be fair, we weren't COMPLETE slackers.  Immediately after painting the one vanity we did have someone come to remove the un-needed vanity and cap the water pipe.  Then, and only then, did the project come to a full stop.

It just kind of fell off the radar - one because The Husband wasn't quite sure this project was completely in his skill set.  He also (at the time) didn't have the tools he would need.  A friend offered to help - but he has small children, an intense job and his own house/projects.  And, I kind of just put the project on the back burner and let it simmer.

And usually, I didn't really think about it, for the most part, until we had people over (which honestly, in the past couple of years that has been few and far between) and it would pop into my head (as I was opening the front door to let them in) that the bathroom - although clean - was undone.  Seeing as the only people over were dear friends or family, I just dealt with the initial angst and let it go.

You might be wondering HOW I kept forgetting about it.  Honestly, the only time I'm in that room is to clean it.  So it wasn't an "in my face" issue.

Fast forward to the last couple of weeks.  The Husband, in all his free time, had been pondering about this project (dear reader, this means he has been bored).  Plus, he is in that room far more than I am - so it was becoming an "in his face" issue.

He began talking through his "design" idea (plus, by now he had acquired the necessary tools & time) describing building a box, etc.  I told him he was over thinking the entire project.

In my estimation (you know, the person who has never actually built anything), this was a fairly simple project.  And I gave him my "design" idea - slap some shelves that fit between the two walls, attach some trim, slap some paint on it all and call it a day.

Shockingly enough, he agreed that my plan had merit.

So here we are, FOUR years later...

Is my house THAT crooked?
Or am I THAT bad at taking pictures?
You decide.

Now all he has to do is un-assemble it (at this point nothing is fixed in place except for the the shelf cleats) so I can slap some paint on it and we can call it done.

Based on past behavior (see the post you just read) it might take a while for that paint to get slapped on.  But, it actually looks like what I was envisioning all those years ago.

16 comments:

  1. Good for you! Sometimes, things really *are* that simple. Occam's Razor and all that. Maybe this project will be a confidence builder (no pun intended) for your husband and other things will get done in a flash.

    Ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are correct - sometimes it really is that simple. And you are correct that it was confidence builder - now he's planning to build a work bench so that he can try his hand at other things. We shall see.

      Delete
  2. Better later than hoped than never.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true. I am grateful that this project is at least gaining some grounnd.

      Delete
  3. Yay! Getting those longterm projects OFF the list is so satisfying! My house photos always turn out crooked too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy to know I am in good company with crooked photos! ;-)

      Delete
  4. Looks great. I imagine it will come in very handy. There's nothing like getting a project done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ernie - I will be so happy when it's finally done. Hopefully, this weekend - but things being the way they are around here...

      Delete
  5. I am pleased for you and the progress you're making on this project. What is time but a construct anyhow? I take crooked pics, too. I think of them as Batman-esque, like in the old 60s TV show.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Batman-esque! That's the perfect way to describe them! I saw your Instagram and I know you are excited to get your bathroom project going!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! Four years? That's not really that bad...It's going to be lovely when you go in there and clean. 😳

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be nice to have somewhere to actually store things in that room (like, I don't know...towels?!). There is not one linen closet in this house - who the hell thought THAT was a good idea?

      Delete
  8. Oooh, maybe there are more projects forthcoming for the retired husband! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We shall see...although his retirement may be altered. His old company called and asked him to come back on a part time basis and he agreed. Which is good, he needs to have some sort of schedule in his life. Not to mention, he is making me crazy being here all the time.

      Delete
  9. A completed project! Thats awesome! I'm assuming you've made a list of everything else you want done next!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We are so unhandy. Like can barely hang a picture on a wall, unhandy. If I could magically give myself one skillset it would be a good range of DIY abilities. Alas, I'll have to settle for being able to burp on command (I can't cross my eyes or roll my tongue, a fact that my young children that CAN do these things find endlessly amusing; but they can't burp on command so take that my pint-sized offspring). But really, I do wish I could paint a room or build a deck or hang curtains.

    ReplyDelete