May 30, 2022

Rest or Burnout

Y'all.  Life has been dragging me down lately, coupled with a particularly bad work week last week.  So I REALLY needed this long weekend.  And even though there were things that I "needed" (i.e. wanted) to accomplish, I did nothing.

Not completely true, as the infernal laundry always needs to be done, it seems.  And those houseplants won't keep themselves alive if they aren't watered.  And I made a dessert for last Friday's night dinner - as Man-Child and The Girlfriend came over.  We haven't seen them since right after Christmas as after Man-Child's minor back surgery (as if any surgery involving your back is "minor") he couldn't drive or sit in the car comfortably for a while.  Then they both got COVID (thankfully mild) over Easter and then both got the flu (over Mother's Day weekend).  

But other than that - I only did what I wanted to do.  And I even ignored the work email completely (almost...I did check in a couple of times but only to delete the unnecessary and ignored everything else until tomorrow).

Since this whole pandemic nightmare began I have been "working" pretty much non-stop.  After hours? Yup, still working. Vacation? Yup, still working.  Weekends?  Yup, still working...it's easy to do because the work computer is sitting RIGHT THERE next to my personal computer.  But after the horrendous last week, I knew I NEEDED a break.  So I took a well deserved one.  And recognize the urgent need to prioritize my down time going forward.

I know that I (and probably a lot of you) feel the need to be "productive" all the time - whether at work tasks or household tasks.  And productivity is great and leads to many accomplishments.  But rest and relaxation is important as well; for your body, spirit and mind.

So yes, I still need to paint those built ins and should probably look at weeding the beds and it would probably be a good idea to set the garage back to rights before it becomes a lost cause...again; plus whatever work tasks that await me; and...and...and.. (the list is endless really).

Funnily enough, Nicole's (HI NICOLE!) post today mentioned a certain book; one that it seems I need to read, like tomorrow.

Currently, I am rested, content and ready to face what next week throws at me (I hope.  Fingers crossed that this week isn't nearly as fraught as last week!).

11 comments:

  1. I sure hope you can get a bit of R&R in there, Gigi. Everybody needs down time. And I'm going to look for that book now. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry you had such a tough week. I agree that the pandemic has really exacerbated the issue of work/life balance. Four Thousand Weeks has so much to say about productivity and was a good book; I am already hankering to read it again as a fresh reminder to STOP ALWAYS TRYING TO BE PRODUCTIVE. I take 2 steps forward and 3 back, but I'm trying to be less concerned which what I accomplish in a day and more focused on how I (and those around me) feel. Let's just say it's a big ol' work in progress...

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI GIGI! As I was reading this I thought "Gigi needs to read Four Thousand Weeks" and then you mentioned it! I believe so strongly that your body needs rest and if you don't take rest, it will take it itself, in other words, sickness or burnout. I think, my friend, you might be going into burnout. You have been so busy for over two years now, I think you need to be able to take a rest. Am I being bossy? Yes. But my bossiness is because I care - and I think you need more than a weekend to rest up after so much stress and unrelenting work for so long. Do you have any vacation time you can take soon? Even a couple of restorative days I think would help. We don't need to be on the hamster wheel all the time! Take care of your wonderful, beautiful self, my friend. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry to hear you've been having a rough go of it, but I am SO glad you were able to rest and recharge a little over the weekend. Productivity is so overrated, and boredom is so underrated. We need both to survive. I hope this (slightly shortened) week goes well and that you are able to carry some of your rested, contented feeling through the whole week with you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You really do need to give yourself some R and R. It's not good for you to neglect Gigi. Right? I'm glad you rested up this weekend and I hope you get more opportunities in the near future. XO

    ReplyDelete
  6. I honestly think that it's such a Woman Thing to feel as if we Must Be Busy All The Time. We expect so much from ourselves, and we often measure our worth by our outward achievements: is our house clean and in order? do our kids look put together? are we pretty and presentable? is our work perfect and efficient? is there anything undone that we can do in our moments of down time? It's relentless and exhausting. If we don't stop ourselves, we end up the worse for it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's been hard lately. I just found out that mercury is in retrograde until June 3. I don't know what that means, but I heard that Taureans and Leos are the ones who have to deal with it the most. Since I'm a Taurus, I'm going on vacation until June 3. :)

    Sending you a hug. Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think productivity is overrated. Unpopular opinion, but there's more to life than proving yourself to others. I, for one, like a good lollygag and fritter. Balance is what I aim for, not exhaustion by doing all the things.

    ReplyDelete
  9. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure...trying to get well from an autoimmune disease brought on by unrelenting stress and overwork-- damned near impossible! Please don't set yourself up for that, my friend! You are worth far too much by those who love and care about you. Work doesn't care or love you...it just asks more and more and more. Glad you're taking extra time for yourself. I hope you figure out a way to make it an unbreakable habit. Mona

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm conflicted on whether to be perpetually productive or languish doing nothing at all. I'm leaning towards wanting to do nothing lately, I seem to be exercising the ability to do nothing well. Staying busy all of the time was burning me out anyway. I hope you strike the perfect balance.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Howdy do! I'm dropping by to catch up on things. How went the week? I too am beginning to sour on 'productivity' We are working ourselves to naught.

    ReplyDelete