June 16, 2022

I posted about burnout...and then, ironically enough, things got even crazier...because of course it did; that's how life works.

 Thank you all for the sweet comments on the last post.  I have really tried hard to cut back - particularly on the weekends and after-hours.

And then, ironically enough, I got far too busy to even respond to any of your comments (or visit many blogs - so sorry).  And then this week hit.

I don't know that I've mentioned it here - I don't think I have.  Or maybe I did.  Who the hell knows at this point and I'm too tired to look into the archives.  

Some of us were in "mandatory" workshops this week and I was one of those "lucky, lucky" people (it is my understanding that ALL employees will undergo this torture exercise eventually - those that haven't had it yet have my deepest sympathy).  These workshops were from 1-5 Monday through Thursday.  Yes, friends.  That is twenty hours of my work week - spread out over four VERY long days.  Who knew that sitting on a Teams call for that long was SO exhausting?  For your information, it IS exhausting.  So much so, that I found myself in bed and fast asleep at 8:30 last night.  And after this, the final day of the workshop, I have a feeling that will happen again tonight.

Now, have I received some good information so far from said workshops?  To a degree - but not enough to warrant this much time out of my work week.  The majority of information does not apply to my job AT ALL.  But upper management seems to think that it does.  Pffft, whatever.  I will say this, some pieces of the workshop made me stop and ponder a few things.  So I guess that means it worked?  At any rate, the very best part was interacting with people across the company.  Some that I knew kind of; others that I never even knew existed and one or two that I actually know and work with.  And as today's session wound down, it seems that for the majority of us, that was the best part.  Now, will we take those new relationships forward as we move on?  We shall see.

And then, as I am desperately trying to keep my head above water on the actual JOB piece of the equation, I notice what is coming next week (major meeting - all hands on deck...whether you need to actually be in the office or not) and I want to cry - BUT bonus, I also get to meet one of my co-workers that I didn't know existed before in person - so that will be nice.

And while ALL of this is going on, there are some other shenanigans going on that I have been battling it out with in another department.

Finally, I had to call on my boss to apprise him of the situation.  I hated to do it - particularly since he is on a much needed vacation - but needs must.  Luckily, right before I came here, he agreed with me and told me to tell them to back off on his orders.  Which I will do, happily...but it will be done tomorrow.

Because right now?  Right now, I *need* a glass of wine (or four) and to take a breath before putting my exhausted self to bed. 

20 comments:

  1. Ugh. I'm so sorry it has been such a rough patch.
    I find Teams/virtual meetings EXHAUSTING. I'm not sure why? But I find them much harder than in-person.
    Hope things clear up soon and you get a chance to catch up on sleep, rest, and some margin from all the intensity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Elisabeth. Yes, Teams meetings ARE exhausting. But I think even if this nonsense had been in person, it would have been ten times more exhausting. At least with Teams, I could shut down the camera occasionally. ;-)

      Delete
  2. Gosh, I hope this will not become a regular thing at work. You deserve that wine, friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I *think* if I can just make it through next week things will slow down significantly...I hope.

      Delete
  3. It sounds so much like Teacher Inservice that I started to feel crabby. Make it a really good wine, Gigi, and enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to make you have flashbacks, Nance! I am planning a lot of rest and recovery this weekend to push through next week.

      Delete
  4. I remember workshops from one of my jobs. They were pointless unless you enjoyed exchanging eye-rolls with other employees. I hope you and your wine have a relaxing weekend, sounds like you deserve one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ally. That is my weekend plan - well, that and to stay inside as much as possible. It's been ridiculously hot which is debilitating and draining.

      Delete
  5. I hope you enjoyed that wine - sounds like you deserve a very large pour!!! I hope things go well today and that you are able to relax some this weekend - maybe another glass or two of wine? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a matter of fact Beth, I DID enjoy that wine and will enjoy some more over the weekend. And, yes, I give myself a VERY generous pour!

      Delete
  6. Oh Gigi! I am sorry life has been so hectic for you. I hope you enjoyed your wine and got lots of sleep. 20 hours of workshop, that sounds exhausting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have rested well this weekend - and then remembered the office was closed today! I must admit between the rest and the joy of having today off means I'm not dreading the coming week as much.

      Delete
  7. What sort of wine?
    Kidding aside, the obstacle is the way; behind every mountain is ... another mountain. You will prevail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Drat! Google the old meanies! That was I.

      Delete
    2. Chardonnay, of course. Thank you, Anonymous. Yes, there will always be mountains but, hopefully, in between there will be flat terrain.

      Delete
    3. Dr. Spo - You would have a field days with some of these people.

      Delete
  8. Gigi,
    If it's not one thing...then it's everything else! Glad you got to enjoy some good wine and a little relaxation this weekend, you deserved it! I hope this week's work drops in intensity and is much lower key. If you get a chance, schedule a full body massage soon. Even I'm stressed out reading about your past week. Holy Moley! It is way too hot for any extra anything unless it's frozen, alcoholic and comes in a salt-rimmed glass! Cheers tou you, my friend! Mona

    ReplyDelete
  9. Goodness. They aren't giving you a break are they?! I hope things settle down and that you can JUST DO YOUR REGULAR job like a normal human and not all that extra crap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suz, I am definitely expecting things to die down for the next little bit. I hope.

      Delete