July 15, 2022

Bathroom Talk

 Hi!  Yes, I'm still here; you can quit wondering if I've fallen off the face of the earth...for now anyway.

Life - both work and personal -has quieted down quite a bit since my last couple of posts; thank goodness!  And this week has been extra quiet as I gifted myself a week off as a birthday present.  Although, this week has been pretty quiet it HAS been a busy one.  There was weeding to be done on Monday - and you know what I was thinking as I was out there cursing every single weed as I yanked them out?  Am I the only person in this whole wide world that actually weeds?  I never see anyone else out in their flower beds yanking weeds.  What is their secret to keeping the flower beds weed-free?  Anyone have any idea?  If so, spill it in the comments please.

On Tuesday, The Husband decided he was done with my procrastinating ways (I mean come ON.  It took four years to get the damned thing built so what if it's been two months and it's still not painted?) and informed me that we would be painting the built in shelves for the guest bath.  And, apparently, he meant business as he prepped everything and even (despite his loathing for painting) actually helped paint.  So that is done, I'm just giving it a few days to cure before I actually place anything on said shelves.

And in true, "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie" fashion, things kind of snowballed from there.  While at The Home Depot to look at options for around the mailbox to help keep the damned grass from encroaching into the flower bed that surrounds the mailbox (a project that will be held off until fall due to the fact that neither of us want to work outside in stifling heat); The Husband suggested that we look at bathroom light fixtures for the guest bath.  He has hated that light fixture since the day we moved in.

This is pretty much what we had in there...



Except ours had clear bulbs and a little bit of rust.  Explain to me WHY light manufacturers would create a light; designed for a bathroom, I might add; that would rust? 

At any rate, we found a light that we both didn't hate and today The Husband pulled the offending fixture down, spackled the wall and plans to sand, paint, and possibly hang the light tomorrow.

As an aside - have you looked that the bathroom light fixtures at your local big box store lately?  Holy cow - yes, I get that taste is subjective - but next time you are in the store take a walk over to that section and have a gander.  I was fascinated - in a I'd give anything to personally see some of the options on offer in someone's bathroom way.  

While we were discussing the whole fixture situation; I mentioned that I really hated the builder grade, standard gigantic mirror in there and wondered if we should remove it; along with random, ugly curtain rod (this house was built in the 90's - so you just KNOW there was some kind of balloon valance in there at some point).  He balked at the idea (of course, because that will require more spackling and painting - plus getting someone to remove it).

My argument was that if we do those two things, in addition to my painting the vanity many moons ago, finally getting the shelving done and the fixture - we would pretty much have a complete makeover in that room on the cheap.  He agreed but is still hesitant.  But I am pretty firmly in the mirror must go camp.  So we shall see how this turns out (the mirror will go...eventually)

So basically, this stay-cation, to date, has been a week of household projects/chores that I've been putting off.   

22 comments:

  1. That is how all my staycations go. I have one at the end of the month, we are shingling the shed. Yay. That's IF the current infirmary I am living in finally gets healthy. There's a post coming, I swear. And we weed... all the time. I weeded the back flagstone patio while I was talking with my mother today on the phone. We do it typically a little at a time, but it's never ending. Thick mulching helps, but they always creep through. We are creating parking spaces across the street for a bunch of us to use... seriously thinking of salting the earth so I don't ever have to pull bittersweet again from there. Sadly, it always finds a way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so seriously tired of stay-cations. I used to like them to get things done; but now? I really want to go somewhere. ANYWHERE.

      Also, it helps to know that I'm not the only one out there weeding!

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad to hear that you got some of your honey-do's actually done! I look forward to seeing a picture of the new light.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't as enthusiastic about the light as The Husband - but I have to admit it looks WAY better than the previous one. Once that stupid mirror is gone it will look even better! ;-)

      Delete
  3. I wish you'd get a "like" button so that you know that I'm here, without my having something pithy to add as a comment. Since I don't. I read somewhere some long time ago that before planting a garden, to lay down (black) plastic (like a cut up large garbage bag) and then cover it with a lot of top soil. Then when you plant, you cut (punch) through the plastic and put your plants in beneath. So weeds don't spring up between the plants. Of course, this hint was before people were worried about recycling and biodegradable, so it may not be a good idea anymore. But it does prevent a LOT of weeding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara - I will look into the like button - but I think for Blogger it might not be an option (or it would require coding skills that I do not possess). So, as a compromise until I figure it out, know that I will know that you have read (and appreciate that you have done so) whether you comment or not.

      I have tried the plastic. And the landscape cover. Both are not good for the soil (not to mention the environment). I have also tried cardboard (great for the soil and not terrible). But between the wind and the birds the weeds just grow on top of it. I fear that my only option is to pop out there every day and give a few weeds a yank.

      Delete
  4. Bathroom light fixtures are a nightmare. Been there. Mine are slightly rusting now, and I'm pretending not to notice it because they actually have outlets on them (against code! I know!), and I refuse to give that up.

    I weed every damn day, and I hope Misery Loves Company. I thought last year was bad for weeds. Ha. This year is worse by far. Nothing works. NOTHING. BarbaraM is advocating for weed mat, which you can buy everywhere, but all that happens is that weeds grow on top of it. So forget that. We had it at the lakehouse, and it was pointless. Nothing to do but pull them. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if Barkeepers Friend might get rid of the rust on your fixture?

      Deep in my heart, although it pains me, I know the only answer is weed every day if I want to stay on top of it.

      Delete
  5. Happy birthday week! I hope you had some fun while you were off from work. I pull weeds. I hate weeds, so I cuss while doing it too. I find that heavy mulch helps keep them minimal.
    I agree, it was time for that 90's light fixture to find a new home. 😳

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Suz! So glad to hear I am not the only one pulling weeds and cursing. The next time I'm out there, I will imagine you next to me cussing at the weeds!

      Yes, that fixture HAD to go.

      Delete
  6. Wait wait wait BIRTHDAY!!! Happy happy happy birthday, Gigi!
    So I do weed, but my method for keeping weeds down works great in Calgary but probably would not work in North Carolina. I plant very aggressive groundcovers and big perennials, which, again, Calgary. The groundcovers do what they are supposed to do, and the perennials spread out, and that largely keeps the weeds down. However, I feel like if you tried that in NC, your entire yard would be overrun. So maybe don't listen to my advice!
    Why is it SO HARD to find a good light fixture?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only ground cover in this yard is the much hated juniper; which is useless when it comes to preventing weeds. And then you have to brave the juniper (and what might lurk beneath) to pull the weeds.

      And yes! WHY are light fixtures SO difficult? I have been looking for a new light fixture for our kitchen since we moved in (how many moons ago?) with no luck.

      Delete
  7. Happy belated birthday! Sounds like a pretty decent way to spend a week -- it always feels so satisfying to complete house and yard projects... even if it's very grumbly in the doing. I cannot stand to weed. It is The Worst.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Suzanne! Yes, it was a good way to spend the week and very satisfying!

      Delete
  8. I too wish you a birthday greetings! Rest assured when I had gardens, pulling weeds was a nonstop integral part of gardening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stinko, this is coming across as anonymous. This is Urspo.

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Urspo! I know you are right - the only way is as Nance (and you) suggest. Just getting out there and doing it.

      Delete
  9. I'm glad work has been more bearable lately; hopefully the upward trend continues after you get back.
    We're currently doing renovations and, as I've lamented before, I detest the whole process. The expense. The endless If You Give A Mouse a Cookie loop you describe. I think you're doing great handling so many things yourself - my husband and I are pathetically unhandy - and once it's done it will be such a relief and high point!

    I also hate weeding. I spent a good chunk of yesterday weeding our flagstone walkway. It has landscape fabric underneath and then crusher dust and small stone in between the big flagstones. There are weeds everywhere. I have found the internet vinegar, salt, and dishsoap recipe does help some...but not much. My neighbour swears by pouring boiling hot water over weeds growing in between hardscaping...but that wouldn't be great in a flower bed. I've yet to try it on our front walkway because knowing my luck I'd drop the water all over my feet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What I have learned is that you get kinda sorta handy if you practice...at least that's been my experience with painting.

      A pure salt/water solution would probably help for your walkway for bit (until the next wind gust/bird droppings left something to seed) but would immediately kill any and all plants/grass.

      Delete
  10. Happy belated birthday. I read this a few days ago, but must've been interrupted. Probably I read it between Reg's b-ball games. I am now curious about what light bathroom light fixtures are trending at the moment. Hmm.

    It does sound like much was accomplished on your time off. I don't do weeds. I have a husband and sons for that . . . but I do just about everything else. I admit that our weeds don't get addressed with any regularity. I think there are rocks or mulch or something that keeps them somewhat under control. Also they probably spray them because we don't have a heck of a lot of 'real' things planted except in my elevated boxes, so they don't have to worry about killing off the good stuff. I never claimed our yard for pretty.

    Fingers crossed that your workload when you return isn't out of control.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ernie! Some of the light fixtures were EXTRA GLAM! Reminded me of disco balls in a way.

      Delete
  11. Gigi,
    I tried to comment here on my phone and then I'm sure I did something wrong and it wouldn't go through and then my entire comment was lost. That was several days ago. I seem to recall that regarding weeds, we have pavers for our back patio and the weeds love the cracks in between. I sure miss using Round Up! Is that wrong of me to admit? I know I wished you a Happy belated Birthday...so Happy belated Birthday again, my friend! Also, good luck in all of your renovating endeavors. I'm sure it will all be worth it when it's over! Then it will be time to re-renovate because trends and your tastes will have changed. Trust me on this! Though I still love my newly renovated 20-ish years ago kitchen! Anyway, hope this goes through this time! Have a great week! Mona

    ReplyDelete