July 22, 2022

The library

 Well.  I have to say it IS soothing to know that I am not the only one actually pulling weeds.  Who the heck knows what my neighbors are doing since I never see any of them out there doing the hard work.

At any rate, we are here to talk about the library and my, by now, very obvious aversion of talking on the phone.

For however long this damn pandemic has been going on, I have been trying to access our local library to place books on hold online.  And let me tell you - that website needs some serious work because navigating it (particularly when you can't get access) is a nightmare.

So for the past 100 years (or so), my reading options have been pretty slim.  I've pretty much re-read everything in this house at least once.  And have met any new books that have come in via gifts or from an online order with rapturous delight; as you might imagine.

Recently, I had had enough, so I used the "contact us" feature on the website.  I was absolutely DELIGHTED to receive an immediate response (I can honestly say that while the website was lacking; the customer service was exceptional).

After a few emails back and forth, the person on the other end simply could not find me anywhere in their system - although I've had a library card since we moved here in 1997 (I think.  Who knows anymore?  Time has always seemed to slip through my fingers quickly - the pandemic has exacerbated this to an alarming degree).  This person suggested that I call the library.  Oh, the pain and agony!

As it seems for most of us, I despise making phone calls.  What good is the internet if we can't handle all of our business online, I ask you?  But, as I mentioned, I was fed up, so I placed the call.  The person on the other end was perfectly competent and sweet - but she couldn't find me either.  Then she asked if it had been a while since I used my card.

Well, yeah.  Haven't used it in the past 100 years (or so), plus some prior to the pandemic when I had a plethora of fresh, new books at my fingertips on a daily basis.  She then informed me that most likely my card had expired.  (WHAT?!  Since WHEN do library cards expire?!)  She went on to tell me that I would have to come in to get a new one (see above re: the internet) as they couldn't give me a card without verifying my identity.  

Ok.  I GET why SOME places (banks, DMV, etc.) need to verify my identity - but who in the Sam Hill is stealing people's identity to get a library card? *sigh*

(I KNOW they want to ensure that you are a resident of that particular county; but honestly - just who is driving from one county to another to "scam" libraries out of lending books?)

I thanked the woman and told her I'd see her soon.

This was a lie.

I sat with this information for a few days (ok.  Maybe a few weeks - you know how I can be) before I masked up and walked into a local branch.

The woman I spoke to also couldn't find me in the system and she agreed that it looked like my card had expired and quickly set me up with another one and told me to keep my old one as "keepsake."  Which I promptly tucked back into my wallet - where it will be totally forgotten about in no time and reside for eons.

So. To re-cap it's only taken me 100 years - give or take a few years - but now I can place holds online for books I'd like to read.  And I'm over the moon about it.  Until today, when I went to pick up one of  the "books" that was ready for me - and just in time too, because I'd just finished the last "new" book.  Upon arrival, I discovered I'd put the audio version on hold.  *sigh*  So, despite all that progress, I don't have anything new to read this evening.

Do any of you put off annoying, "little" things for eons?  And then once the ordeal is done think, "that wasn't so bad after all."  Or is that just me?

14 comments:

  1. Ugh, sorry about the audio book but YAY for the library! I honestly don't know where I'd be without my local branch. The Calgary library has its own app, and I'm able to put things on a shelf "for later" - so I have about 250 books on my for later shelf. It's like a TBR list, and I do take things off it to put things on hold, but I have so many books I want to read! So don't keep me in suspense! What did you read? What's next on your list?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We also have a "shelf for later!" Now that I have finally gotten access I'm like a kid in a candy store! I just finished The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo (I may review it). The "book" I was hoping to get today was The Night She Disappeared by Lisa Jewel.

      Delete
  2. This was a lot of fun to read and commiserate with, since yes my entire life is slipping through my fingers while I seem to misplace everything! I am mostly using my Kindle for reading books these days, as my eyesight has begun to fail big time. I need large bold print, which I can get on my device. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This "time" thing just seems to keep going faster and faster. I recently spent two whole days looking throughout the house for a book that I KNOW is here and it cannot be found.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on making that call AND getting a new card. Now if you could master the 'reserving the correct format' thing, then you'll be in business.
    I put off so many things, it's kind of ridiculous

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the correct format thing would be useful. The putting things off - why do we do this to ourselves?

      Delete
  4. WHAT?! A library card can expire?!?!?! Good for you for not only making the onerous phone call, but for going IN PERSON to the library. Now you have so many books at your finger- and ear-tips! What are you checking out first???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW, right?! Who knew that was a thing? I have at least five or six on hold - it's anyone's guess which will be available first. I think you recommended The Night She Disappeared; and it's on the list. I just received an online order of The Chain today that looks promising - and probably right up your alley (if you haven't already read it).

      Delete
  5. I love our library and it's small enough they don't even make me show my library card - when I walk in they grab my holds and start ringing them up. If I had to make a phone call, I would just stop reading. I hate phone calls SO much. And yes, I put off so many little things and then they become "bigger" things - at least mentally. I'm struggling with this issue a lot right now. Renovations and all sorts of other things have been life feel very restless and unsettled and I just want a clear head and a day where I accomplish 50 things bam, bam, bam. But sigh...this has not been happening. Today I took a nap in a pitch-dark room and then avoided a list of "little" things because I'm just feeling very over doing anything fun or productive at this stage.
    Le sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I find that starting with the smallest possible thing will have the snowball effect. Unfortunately, this is not a sure fire fix for the procrastination.

      Delete
  6. Sometimes a lie is needed for social decoram. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The same thing happened to me--my library card expired. I found it just as ridiculous as you did. I renewed it and promptly never, ever used it, ever. I find libraries to be a bad deal overall. First, I have to go there. Second, I have to give books back. Third, I don't read books on a device; I like to have an actual physical book. So...forget it. I wonder why I thought I'd need a library card in the first place.

    And phone calls? Ugh. I've been avoiding the phone my whole life. It's a whole level of commitment that I am rarely ready for.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just as the pandemic hit I sent my kids to grab videos and books with my card. I have not seen the card since but I can use the number to check things out online. I end up using Curly or Reg's cards. My library built a drive up window during the pandemic. It is glorious.

    I put off cleaning the house, but phone calls don't usually bother me. I'm a chatty one, maybe that's why?

    I'm happy for you that you got your library card and that you can get books now. I just started The Thursday Murder Club. So far it's delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gigi,
    I'm as baffled as you about why a library card would ever expire! That's ridiculous! I wonder if mine has? Also, can you check out books on your Nook or Kindle from the library? If so, that's what I'd do. Now I'll have to look into that. What I discovered the library was good for was a little peace and quiet when I was trying to write (longhand) when my computer went down and it took two months before the repair shop was able to get the part to fix it. Between Birdie, Buddy, Ryan and David, I'm lucky I get any writing done at all! The latest book I read was David Sedaris's Happy-Go-Lucky. Very satisfying. Ready for something new to read. Oh wait, I think I was going to go for a book that Nicole suggested on her site. Which reminds me...Also, technology...can't live with it...tempted to try living without it...but I wouldn't last a day! *sigh* Great post! It really resonated with the way my life goes, too! Also, Christie Hawkes has a link on her blog that explains why time seems to go faster as we get older. They've done actual experiments on this. It was an interesting read! Mona

    ReplyDelete