July 31, 2022

A Satisfying Little Project

 After bringing home a new tinted sunscreen to try, I realized it was WAY past time to jump into cleaning out my make up drawer.

Well, that makes it sound like I have a regular sized drawer chock full of make up products, doesn't it?  That is the farthest thing from the truth.  The drawers in our vanity are ridiculously narrow - almost to the point of being practically useless; but I digress - back to cleaning out said drawer.

This afternoon, while I had a few blissfully quiet hours (i.e., I was home ALONE!  A feat which is rare these days.  At most, I usually get about 30 minutes), I went in and pulled out everything that was crammed into that woefully narrow drawer.  I discovered cracked, un-used cream eye shadows (gone), old mascaras (three - gone), shimmery eye shadows that were so old I don't even remember buying them (gone - besides the days for shimmery eye shadows for me is long gone), "long wear" lipsticks/stains that I bought on a whim to see if they could outlast my CoverGirl Outlast (they didn't - gone), powder (gone), and a BB cream that I swear once you put it on it would stay there till the end of time (nothing could get it off - not even cold cream - gone).

Most of the above wasn't really a huge surprise.  Not in the least.  What DID surprise me is that I have, apparently, somehow been inadvertently acquiring a ridiculously HUGE number of make up brushes.  

Twenty-one, to be exact.

Now, do I actually use ANY of these brushes on a regular basis?

Two on a daily basis - maybe four for a "dress up" event.  So the question remains, where and how did all these brushes come to be stuffed into my make up drawer?  Who knows; it's a mystery for the ages.

At any rate, I cleaned them all and the extra brushes are all set for the next Goodwill drop off - hopefully, they will go to someone who will actually use them.

The only things that went back into that drawer were one eye shadow (used on a daily basis as "eye liner" - much less harsh than actual eye liner, FYI.), two eye shadow palettes that I would use for a "dress up" event (but who are we kidding here?  What dress up events are anywhere on my calendar these days?).  Two mascaras (I'm trying to decide which I like the best).  Blush.  Foundation (also only used for the non-existent "dress up" events).  Concealer.  My two favorite shades of CoverGirl Outlast lipstick (Brazen Raisin and Unique Burgundy), the four brushes that I decided to keep, my eyebrow pencil, cold cream and, of course, the new tinted sunscreen all made the cut.

With this little project out of the way, I was inspired to clean out two of the other drawers and found even more stuff to get tossed or donated.  So now, all of the drawers in the bathroom (minus that last one - it holds my curling irons/flat irons, etc. that I'm not quite ready to give up despite the fact I cannot remember the last time I used any of them and don't expect to use any of them in the near - or far - future) are clean and tidy.

A satisfying little project that will make me smile when I open those drawers tomorrow to get ready for the day.

18 comments:

  1. I used to wear makeup, and when I retired and moved, I left it all behind. You remind me that it was a good idea. Now that I am approaching eighty, there's no dressing up this face! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your face is beautiful as is! I have pared my routine down to the bare minimum (oh the time wasted on my makeup routine in my 20s!) but I don't feel like me if I don't have just a bit on.

      Delete
  2. Good for you. I love little projects like that: once they're done, I feel so smug and satisfied.

    Your makeup collection is enormous. Mine is mascara and face cream (two kinds, day and night). Period. I've never used a makeup brush in my life, even back when I was working. (Back then, I did have more of a makeup collection. I used foundation and blush, too.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Nance - little projects like this are EXTREMELY satisfying! And yes, I might be feeling a little smug. ;-)

      Delete
  3. Oh, that kind of project is SO satisfying! My own problem with it is that I expect other areas to go as smoothly and am very let down when they are not. But celebrate the achievement!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. High on the success of tackling that one teeny project you move on to the next only to be defeated very early on. Perseverance though will eventually get it done...usually

      Delete
  4. This sounds SO satisfying! I should do this same project. I did it a couple of years ago and it's time to do it again. I accumulate so many mascaras and am so terrible about throwing them away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very satisfying, Suzanne! It is shocking though how quickly the stuff just adds up - you buy something new, try it and don't like it. And instead of trashing, donating or returning, we just shove it in a drawer to deal with later.

      Delete
  5. I did that about a year and a half ago and I believe it is again TIME. Who brings it into the house? That is a good question...*suz looks at herself* HA.
    I have a list of other drawers and closets to get to; those will be satisfying once all said and done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really need to go through ALL the drawers and closets again...maybe the satisfaction of this one area being done will inspire me to do more? (Doubtful, but we can hope!)

      Delete
  6. I'm having one of those terrible-no-good-rotten days today...but I did squeeze in about 30 minutes of decluttering some old kid toys and it was SO satisfying. Outer order, inner calm (as Gretchen Rubin says) is definitely true in my life!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry you are having a terrible-no-good-rotten days! I know that when things are out of sorts around here, I find myself out of sorts too.

      Delete
  7. The ubiquitous "they" say when you're looking for an answer, clean out a drawer. I forget why. Doesn't matter. The point is, YAY, it does feel so good to put things in order and clear out the clutter! I have to admit, when I first saw the picture of your brushes without reading this post, I thought you were going to write about a painting project! Ha! If you come up with an answer that's eluded you for for a while and then suddenly got it after cleaning out your drawer, please let me know. I know that's not why you were cleaning out your drawer, but still it would be interesting to know if that happens despite the why. Mona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, Mona - I have not received any answers to an elusive question yet. But, if I should happen to stumble across one in the next couple of days, I will attribute it to cleaning out that drawer! Clearing the clutter does me less "itchy."

      Delete
  8. Hello Gigi. I stopped by your blog after Mona from Wayward Sparkles mentioned it. I'm glad I did. I enjoyed a good laugh at this post. I can relate to the satisfaction of cleaning out a drawer or a closet and also to the mystery accumulation of things you never use. Where do they come from and why are we sometimes hesitant to discard them once they are discovered?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Christie - welcome! The mysterious accumulation of things baffles me every time. I mean, I *know* I either brought in or it was a gift - but how did it grow into such a LARGE collection of things that I never use?

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a LOT of brushes! I only have one, for blush. I need to clean out my makeup drawer, and it's ALL YOUR FAULT! I love that Outlast so much that I really should get rid of the lipsticks I'm not wearing anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The brush situation was ridiculous! I swear they were breeding in there. I'm glad so love Outlast as much as I do. I've converted quite a few women to it...hopefully enough that they never discontinue that line (OR my favorite colors)!

      Delete