November 19, 2022

Meet the Parents Update

 As mentioned, a couple of posts ago, we were set to meet The Girlfriend's parents last Saturday.  Before I go any further, let me just say to those who are very young and very much in lovedo not plan to have the parents meet on a family laden holiday, like Thanksgiving.  That is way too much pressure for everyone involved; particularly if there is an introvert in the mix.

At any rate, it was fine.  They seem to be lovely people that I look forward to getting to know better over time.  My very extroverted friend from two doors down was here, as were a couple other neighbors and it was fine.  Oh sure, I was an anxious ball of nerves before everyone arrived but it was fine.

Am I looking forward to the Thanksgiving gathering?  Well...let's just say I'm not over here ready to throw up at the prospect.  So that's progress, I guess. Right?!

The funniest thing about the whole party happened the day after.  The Husband was watching whatever he was watching (probably flipping back and forth between football and old cowboy shows) and I was in my office stitching away on my latest project* while listening to the Dateline podcast when the doorbell rang.  I figured it was my friend from two doors down.  As usual, they can never leave this house without leaving something behind, so I figured she came to get her stainless tumbler and sunglasses.  

Instead it was some neighbors that we had invited to the party but they never showed.  Turns out, they thought the party was on Sunday!  We asked them in - shared a glass of wine and some chili that was leftover from the party.  They felt terrible about the mistake but we told them it was fine (and it was) that we were just glad they showed up after all.

They are a sweet, older couple and it was nice to sit and visit with them for a bit without all the hoopla that was last Saturday.

*In the post where I mentioned we would be meeting The Girlfriend's parents, I also mentioned my latest project and how I was getting concerned that it wouldn't be a usable Christmas stocking.  I am happy to report, that despite my growing anxiety at how close the stitching was getting to the edge of the fabric, I think we just might make it by the skin of the teeth.

It was getting scary - I was afraid I'd have to scrap
the whole thing!

Also, just so you know - those damned trees are going to be the death of me.  I can't tell you how many times, I've had to rip them out and start over.  Half stitches (which are the trees and the sky) are hard for me to keep the correct count for some odd reason.

But the question remains...will it be ready by Christmas?  The Magic 8 Ball says, "Doubtful."


20 comments:

  1. Cross-stitch takes me back! My Mom regularly had projects on the go when I was a kid; once I made a sampler cross-stitch that could fit over the lid of a mason jar. It had violets on it. I think that was the last handwork I ever did...I'm not overly "crafty" one could say.
    Glad the meeting went relatively well - and the impromptu visit from the other neighbours sounds quite lovely, actually. Low pressure, one-on-one time with them, and you still managed to share food and wine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Husband will generally try to feed whoever walks in the door; expected or not.

      Delete
  2. I WAS WONDERING HOW IT WENT!!!!!!! Oh, yay, I am glad that the meeting went well and that they are lovely people. And you are all spending Thanksgiving together? Again, wiggling with excitement. Please update us!
    That is so cute about the neighbours. It's something that I always triple-check my calendar about because I could see this happening to me.
    Your cross-stitch looks great! But really, really challenging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you were wondering! Yes, we will be having Thanksgiving at their house. I think the problem with the late neighbors is that the husband got the text invitation...

      Delete
  3. Feeling less like throwing up about it is definitely progress! I'm glad it went so well. And I love the other neighbors coming over the next day! I can totally see doing that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. too much pressure on Christmas time as it is. I say take a photo of the project and present it at Christmas if the actual work isn't completed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True; and that is a great suggestion! Thanks.

      Delete
  5. Glad it went well. I'm so happy that the neighbors extended the gathering to be a nice quiet time with them. Thanksgiving does sound like a lot of pressure. Will the neighbor from two doors down be back on Thanksgiving? The cross stitch is so cute. Fingers crossed that the end product is stocking ready.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, no the neighbor from two doors down won't be there on Thanksgiving; because we will be at The Girlfriend's parents house.

      Delete
  6. I am so glad it went so well, and that the late couple actually did show up and enjoy some company with you. That, and you were so accommodating which I'm sure made them feel much better. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We tried to set them at ease; we did enjoy visiting with them one on one.

      Delete
  7. This is good news. I knew you were apprehensive, but it turned out fine... because you worried just the right amount. As for the older neighbors who came on the wrong day, I'm loving that. Sometimes it's more fun to do the party thing with just a few people, than the whole gang. Of course I'm an introvert...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was nice to just visit with the four of us.

      Delete
  8. The Cross stitch project looks amazing! I'm in awe of the details.
    I love that the meeting with the girlfriends' family went well and I had a giggle at your neighbors coming a day late. That's funny, but hey, it happens! 😜

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Suz! The neighbors just extended the party and we loved it.

      Delete
  9. Your Christmas stocking project is looking so beautiful! I have every confidence you will finish by Christmas. And hooray for an uneventful and pleasant meeting with the girlfriend's parents. That's excellent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate your confidence, Suzanne - but I'm only halfway through so it will truly be a Christmas miracle if it gets done in time.

      Delete
  10. I'm going to remember the neighbors' ploy and try it. It's genius.
    On another note, your stitching is lovely. It will be finished by some Christmas or another, so no big deal. There will always be another Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true...Christmas does come around every year without fail.

      Delete