November 10, 2022

The Cartographers - A Book Review

 Remember way back in July, when I discovered that a library card can actually expire?  Well, way back then, somewhere online I had stumbled across a VERY positive review of The Cartographers by Peng Shepherd.  

Although, I did question whether or not I would actually be interested in a book about making maps but the review was SO enthusiastic about it that I immediately put the book on hold with the library and then kind of forgot about it as other holds started coming in.

Well, last week (four months later) it was finally my turn to check out this particular tome. I couldn't quite remember the synopsis of the story but figured, if it wasn't of any interest, I would just return it.

So when I settled in to start reading, I had no real idea what lie ahead.  And let me tell you, just a few pages in and I was hooked.  Now I know why the waiting list was four months long!

This book that centers around an old, seemingly worthless, gas station map and where certain maps can lead you.

I'm not going to re-type the synopsis - you can read that in the link above.  But I am going to suggest that you will really enjoy this read; whether you are into map making or not.

This story includes a family rift, intrigue, and an ending that I didn't initially expect.  I will say this; toward the end I kind of thought that I knew; but still...

I feel like all my book reviews basically boil down to "Go read this book!"  And they are, as I only review books I really enjoy.  

So, all that to say - Go read this book.

10 comments:

  1. Done. I've added it to my library account holds list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh this sounds great! Adding it to my library holds right now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um, that anonymous was me. Suzanne. Who apparently is incapable of commenting appropriately on blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you hadn't written about this, it would never cross my mind to read it. I am not really interested in maps but you made this sound interesting - I'll definitely put it on my library list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've not heard of this book and I'm sure I'd like it. Thanks for mentioning it here. Of course I'm always about five years behind in my book reading... but I try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now it's on my list of books to read. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds interesting. I'm missing the days when I get so much reading done poolside. I only find time to read in bed and I'm asleep after about one page. Maybe I need a more interesting book?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like reviews like that! I have been meaning to read this one, so I'll bump it up the list; thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I liked the book, although (without being spoilery) I had read quite a few books along these lines before, so I actually enjoyed her first book The Book of M a little more. I find maps fascinating, maybe even more so because I suck so much at reading them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea she had other books. I will have to look for that one. Thanks!

      Delete