December 10, 2022

Christmas progress

But first, guess what landed on our front porch the other morning?

If you guessed that vacuum cleaner, you would be right.  After The Husband took it to Mailboxes & More (which refused to take it), we have set it aside as we ponder what to do about it now.

Finally, finally, I am gearing up and getting things ready - I was getting worried because I had been procrastinating in a way that would make a professional procrastinator proud.  My fingers have been flying over the keyboard and packages keep landing on the porch (and, other than that wayward vacuum cleaner, they have all reached their intended destination).

The tree has been up for a couple of days, but half the lights weren't working (of course they weren't).  In order to spur myself into getting it decorated, I ordered a string of lights (as well as another space heater, so I can quit dragging the one around as I go from room to room) for curbside pick up this morning.

When I saw the notification that the order was ready this morning, I headed out.  Only to come home to discover that the one strand of lights wasn't going to cut it.  Determined to get that tree done TODAY, I headed back out.  And now, thank goodness, the tree is done.

My vacation starts on Tuesday, and I am expecting to finish up the shopping, baking, wrapping, shipping, etc. without the pesky invasion of work.  Oh sure, work will pop up that needs doing; but I won't be tied to the computer as I am trying to complete these tasks.  I will get to it when I get to it.

Speaking of baking, this year, I did have the fore-thought to make up two batches of cookie dough and froze it right before Thanksgiving.  I have never frozen cookie dough before - so we shall see the results are acceptable.  If successful, I am going to plan to do this again next year for even more batches, as that would be a huge time-saver.  

In addition to usual Christmas prep time crunch, the male half of our friends two doors down, is planning a surprise birthday party for his wife.  As luck would have it that falls three days AFTER Christmas.  He quickly realized that he was in over his head and reached out for help after he sent texts to family and friends asking them if they could come.  And they all said yes.  Of course they did.  Everyone loves her.

So in addition to crafting this post, thinking through the remaining gifts to be purchased and all the household chores that need doing, I am currently participating in group chat with him and his mother-in-law regarding the menu.  I was just beginning to suspect that he bowed out of the chat since she and I have been discussing the options and he hadn't piped up at all.  That is, until just before I wrote that last that sentence.

I do know that he doesn't text much; so I imagine he is hiding somewhere in the house two doors down trying not to let her see him texting and make her wonder what is going on.  And just as I typed THAT last sentence, he texted that she keeps asking who he is texting!   So I imagine, for tonight, our planning is on hold.  Maybe I should tell him to set his phone to mute when participating in future clandestine group chat planning sessions?

16 comments:

  1. I had to do a bit of back- reading to understand the significance of the vacuum! Oh boy- you might be the proud owners of a bouncing new vacuum! Hope your cookie dough works out beautifully! -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This vacuum! I imagine it will probably stay here unless I can figure out a way to get it gone. Fingers crossed on the dough!

      Delete
  2. That is so cute! I hope the surprise goes off without a hitch! And hooray for vacation beginning soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I look forward to hearing about this delightful surprise birthday party! Such a wonderful thing to do. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm excited too. She will be so surprised as family will be flying in for it.

      Delete
  4. I freeze cookie dough all the time and it always works out really well! I hope yours does too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keep the vacuum. You've done all that you could.

    The extent of my holiday prep is: the tree is up. Period. Sigh. Not feelin' it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not either; but I'm hoping that changes soon...for both of us.

      Delete
  6. All our lights worked and were up on the tree for a week...and then one of the strands died. You know what isn't very much fun? Taking off a string of lights that are wound around a DECORATED tree. Sigh. I did it, swapped in my one set of "extra" lights...and no one will be any the wiser, but I grumbled and sighed the whole time I was fixing things...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! If any of these lights die, they are just going to have to stay dead because I am not doing that!

      Delete
  7. I'm going back to find out the scoop on the vacuum. My shopping is mostly done. Not so much from procrastination, but from the fact that I've worked 13 days straight. I forced myself to take tomorrow off, as my back is screaming, Oldest moves home from school (for 6 weeks) on Wednesday and his room is currently housing a ton of storage, Youngest is planning a cross country move (super long story) and need to wrap up a crap ton of stuff before he leaves, and well... I just need a break. Which of course I won't get, because I have to take care of all of that, since my next day off is (literally) Christmas. At least the Hubs did the grocery shopping. We were to the point that there was more cat/dog food in the fridge than people food. :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. This year we have all new Christmas lights after 2005. I look forward to them, provided they work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You and that vacuum. Goodness to the gracious, it is an odd predicament. I'm with Nance, keep it. I live by the rule that no matter what you do or don't get done before Christmas is perfect for you that year. We all do what we can, so why not enjoy it?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Laughing at the never ending loop that is YOUR NEW vacuum cleaner.

    Freezing your cookie dough does sound like a great plan; please let us know how it works out.

    Christmas tree lights are always a pain in the azz, and cause much cussing on my end.

    I hope the party planning goes perfect!!

    ReplyDelete