December 18, 2022

Even more Christmas chatter...

It was with great satisfaction when I proclaimed to my husband late this afternoon that I was officially done with gift buying (minus the stocking stuffers).  And immediately after making such a bold statement, it dawned on me that, no, I WAS not done.  Somehow, I had forgotten that I still needed two gifts for my friend two doors down.  One for Christmas and one for her birthday!

And then it was back to the computer to search for inspiration.

She and my mother-in-law are usually the first people I focus on when I begin shopping.  Usually, I know exactly what I am getting each of these two women who are so very dear to me.  But this year, for some reason I was having trouble finding the just right gifts for my friend.  And so, I kept putting it off.

Luckily, I found something for both the holiday and the birthday.  I'm positive the holiday gift will arrive on time but I'm a little apprehensive about the birthday gift.  On the plus side, I've ordered from this particular Etsy store before and she's always been very reliable about getting things shipped quickly.

Speaking of my mother-in-law, she called me today to thank me for her Christmas gifts.  As usual, she told me that she was calling me first because she knew that I did all the work (just one of the many reasons I love her so; she GETS it!).  After we hang up, she turns around and calls The Husband.

The gifts I buy her always feel (to me) like I am cheating.  I think I spent maybe a total of about $40 but she was delighted and told me that I'm the only one who knows exactly what she wants.  And she loves the fact that I wrap each and every item up.  In fact, I think that's what she loves the most.  

She doesn't want anything.  She doesn't want a new sweater (if she does, she buys it).  She doesn't want personalized note cards.  She doesn't want jewelry.  She doesn't want a candle.  All she wants are little treats.  And every year that is what I buy her.  The Jelly Bellies that she enjoys so much.  Flavored coffee.  Nail polish.  Hand lotion. My almond bark.  Perfume. Nuts. Chocolate.  Just little things that she uses and enjoys.  Things she doesn't have to store or clean.

Some times I wonder if I am the only that listens when she says doesn't want "stuff."  Occasionally, instead of little treats, I used to send her an elaborate gift basket - which I know she appreciated.  But once, a couple of gift giving events ago, she mentioned that she loved the gift baskets but she loved my treat boxes more (luckily, for that event I had given her the treat box).  And from that moment on and until the end of time, that is what she will get; even if it feels like I'm cheating.

There is still baking to be done.  Gifts to be wrapped.  Stocking stuffers to be sourced.  

I vow that next year will be different.  That I will jump on the early bandwagon with Nicole and get things done earlier.  

It was made quite clear to me that next year, I won't have a choice really but to jump on that early bandwagon, as the kids have set a tentative date for the wedding, November 18.  So literally, we will have a wedding one weekend, Thanksgiving the next, and then be thrown head first into the Christmas rush.

Oh my God, it's a wonder I'm not breaking out in hives just thinking about how chaotic that will be!  

And on that note, I will close (because really, I should be wrapping gifts instead of posting nonsense).  I may or may not (no surprise there) post again before Christmas.  And, in the (very likely) event that I don't, have a very Merry Christmas (if you celebrate) and know that I consider each and every one of you in this little community we have built to be a gift in my life that I treasure.

xo

17 comments:

  1. I love your last sentence. I feel it deep in my heart! To you and yours a wonderful holiday season! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you, listening to your MIL. I'm at the same point, not wanting Stuff, not wanting things I'd rather pick out for myself, not wanting something I have to dust or store. I'd rather have indulgences and treats that I don't buy for myself. Consumables with obvious thought behind them because the Giver was listening and noticing. Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nance. I'm pretty much in the same league as you and her in regards to gifts. If I have to take care of it, I really don't want it. I'd rather have something that I can enjoy.

      Delete
  3. I love that you honour her wishes; I think this is something we so often overlook in gift giving. I am a HUGE fan of having go-to gifts (or some variation of the same gift; one friend gets a new ornament and a gift card to a non-chain eating establishment each year as part of her late-October birthday gift. I love, love, love knowing the general idea of what I'll get her. She's excited to see WHAT ornament/gift card she'll get, but she knows she'll enjoy whatever she opens because she values those particular items).

    Also, how lovely she tells you how much she values the work you put in. There is so much "unseen" work that happens at Christmas and it can be easy to feel resentful. So a word of encouragement or acknowledgment can go a LONG way.

    Merry Christmas. I hope you have a fantastic holiday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Elisabeth. I like your idea of having "go to" gifts for certain people. It certainly cuts down on the time spent shopping or looking for inspiration.

      Delete
  4. Your mother-in-law sounds like an absolute delight, but also, I think that the gifts you give her are perfect. If someone gave me all those little things wrapped individually, I would be absolutely thrilled. What fun to shop for and what fun to give!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicole, she is an absolute delight. And that is why I try to make sure that she gets what she wants for every gift giving occasion. And, yes, it is fun too look for those gifts; even if some are the same over and over (Jelly Bellies).

      Delete
  5. It is never nonsense to publish a blog post. ❤️ I love this blogging community as well, and I'm so glad you're a part of it. 😘

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Kari! I'm happy that we have connected our little corners of the internet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Merry Christmas! I love the treat boxes, and how much she loves what you do. She's a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She definitely is a keeper. So much so that I have informed The Husband on multiple occasions that I get to keep her in the (unlikely) event of a divorce.

      Delete
  8. Your MIL sounds like a gem. My Uncle Jim has always said he only wants: CONSUMABLES. LOL. Treats, candy, nuts, coffee, wine, etc...and that is just what he gets.

    November 18 will be here in a hot minute.

    Enjoy your Christmas with your sweet family. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When people tell you what they want; listen! Yes, November will be here all to fast. Merry Christmas, Suz.

      Delete
  9. They set a date!! That is so exciting, although I understand the hives thing. It will all work out wonderfully!

    The gifts you get for your mother-in-law sound so fun and I love that she gets such a kick out of them... and out of the individual wrapping. What a sweet exchange between the two of you. (P.S. I have not forgotten about your giveaway gift -- it will arrive to you in the doldrums of January after the excitement of Christmas is long in the past.)

    Merry, merry Christmas Gigi! I hope it is warm and wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eeek! They HAVE set a date. Although, it's still very early in the process so maybe she'll move it to a less hectic time of the year (I doubt it). I also have doubts about the venue they are considering (a November wedding in the mountains seems iffy to me) but I am not going to say a word. Not one.

      Delete
  10. I am usually done with most everything by October. Usually. And then I'm not. There's always a ton of last-minute odds and ends. But somehow it all gets done. Someday I'm going to have a job that doesn't destroy Christmas for me. j

    ReplyDelete