April 18, 2023

A Book Review: Defending Jacob by William Landay

 Attention all crime novel aficionados - you HAVE to read this book!  Honestly, that's it.  That's pretty much the entire review; it's that good.

I'm trying to recall how I ever even stumbled over this book.  I *think* I saw a Twitter exchange between Linwood Barclay and Stephen King about this author and this was the first book that popped up in my search.  And it did not disappoint.

"Andy Barber has been an assistant district attorney in his suburban Massachusetts county for more than twenty years.  He is respected in his community, tenacious in the courtroom, and happy at home with his wife, Laurie, and their son, Jacob.  But when a shocking crime shatters their New England town, Andy is blindsided by what happens next.  His fourteen-year old son is charged with the murder of a fellow student."

That is the first paragraph on the inside cover synopsis.  And that's just the beginning.  And with that one paragraph, I knew I was going to enjoy this one immensely.

I don't even know how to go forward without dropping some spoilers - but let's just say I did NOT see that ending coming.  At all.  In fact, even though I recalled the exact ending the next morning, I had to go back to read the last bit to make sure I remembered it right - I did, for the most part, with only one tiny exception, which explained everything clearly. (This is the problem with staying up too late to finish a good book...that tiny bit that explains everything can get lost in the exhaustion...such is the life of a reader, I suppose).

The final blurb said, "Award winning author William Landay has written the consummate novel of an embattled family in crisis - a suspenseful, character-driven mystery that is also a spellbinding tale of guilt, betrayal and the terrifying speed at which our lives can spin out of control."

Yes, I agree that is EXACTLY what William Landay has written.  Before this book, I had never heard of this author (and this genre calls to me!).  But after this book?  I will definitely be seeking out more of his work.

***

Well, color me shocked - FOUR blog posts in the month of April?  Let's hope this trend continues.


17 comments:

  1. Sold! I'm writing this title down and checking to see if they have it at our library. The last two books I checked out, I could not get into reading them. If I'm not involved in the character or the plot by the 3rd or 4th chapter, I just don't want to pick it up. Thanks for the recommendation! Crime novels are my favorite genre!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this one will pull you in pretty quickly! I can't wait to hear what you think.

      Delete
  2. I rea this book a few years ago - it is SO good. I remember that the ending was unexpected but cannot remember what it was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! The ending IS memorable - but the "why" behind it went down the way it did is what I couldn't remember; which made me go back to see what happened.

      Delete
  3. Exciting! I just added this to my ebook selection for some summer travel! The Linwood Barclay book you recommended was a fun read, and I'm really looking forward to this one, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yay! I think you will like it and can't wait to hear what you think.

      Delete
  4. I don't love crime novels but I might give this a try, since you are so excited about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know this isn't your preferred genre but if you do read it, I'll be interested to see what you think.

      Delete
  5. I love it when you post! And I added that book to my list immediately upon reading the first sentence LOL. Sounds like a winner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suzanne, you are so sweet; thank you. I really think you will enjoy this one and can't wait to see what you think. I'm excited to read some of his other novels.

      Delete
  6. Sounds like a mystery I'd enjoy. As much as Twitter can suck, it can be a good resource for finding books to read. Happy to see you posting to your blog more, you're rocking blogland this month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Twitter can be a dumpster fire; depending on where you are looking. But yes, as to finding new books/authors. If Stephen King tells me it's good, I know I'll at least look at it. As for the posting more, *kicks rocks* thanks, I'm trying.

      Delete
  7. I don't usually read crime novels, but this one sounds compelling. I hope to tackle it this summer when I have more time to read. Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it - and your time off which is just around the corner now.

      Delete
  8. four posts! Good for you! I am glad you done so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And to think, way back in the day I posted ALL the time. Maybe there is something to this whole "just write something" idea.

      Delete
  9. Wow, that is quite the recommendation. Coach watched this series on Apple TV and loved it too.

    ReplyDelete