April 7, 2023

The IT Girl / The Escape Room - Book Reviews

There are many aspects about blogging that I love so very much.  But I think seeing what everyone else is reading and recommending is probably in the top 10.

And while all of our tastes in reading material may differ - and that's fine! - it also opens your eyes to something new that *might* draw you into a different genre.

But, for some of us, we find ourselves on the same page (sorry, not sorry - I couldn't resist) regarding reading material. 

This is why I am happy to present my review of The IT Girl by Ruth Ware; which Suzanne so kindly sent my way.  Because Suzanne and I, it seems, are on the same page when it comes to reading material.

I recall reading The Death of Mrs. Westaway by the same author; which I thoroughly enjoyed (but most likely did not post about for the simple reason that if I don't post about it immediately, I will completely forget to do so - no matter how much I enjoyed it - as I have moved on to something else.  Yes, this means I probably have a lot of "holes" in my Books I Love Enough to Tell You About list) and was looking forward to reading this novel.

Friends, it did not disappoint.  I loved it.

It all began when Alice Clarke-Cliveden and Hannah Jones met each other as roommates for their first term at Oxford.  From there they created an inseparable group of friends.  Alice was dead by the end of the first term.

A decade later, the porter who was convicted for the death, died in prison.  Hannah, whose key testimony convicted him, is relieved that this bit of her past is finally completely behind her.  So imagine her shock when a journalist contacts her to present new evidence that he may have been innocent.  As she begins to doubt her testimony, she reconnects with the old group of friends only to discover that they, the people she thought she knew best, all had something to hide.

This novel jumps back and forth between the past and the present, which can sometimes be annoying for me, but worked perfectly in this story.  There were lots of twists to this story and ended with a surprise to me.  I admit, I'm usually not looking to "solve the puzzle" while reading but I usually figure out who did it; that was not the case with this book.

It's a solid read and I heartily recommend it.  Thank you, Suzanne!

Next up, we have The Escape Room by Megan Goldin.

As you might surmise (correctly) that title alone forced the book to jump from the wall of books I was perusing right into my hands.  And it did not disappoint; not one little bit.

I was shocked to discover this was a debut novel.  Every novelist must dream of writing such a book.  She succeeded.  I have since discovered that she has authored four other books since this one came out in 2018.  I am putting them ALL on my To Be Read List; particularly after Suzanne responded to my comment on her most recent post on A Novel Project that she read Stay Awake and couldn't put it down - so it seems Megan Goldin is not a one hit wonder.

Five books in five years?  Is she the female equivalent of Stephen King?  Perhaps.

This story takes place in the very lucrative and very cutthroat world of finance.  Our main characters have swallowed the Kool-Aid and are very focused on closing each and every deal...and despite the fact that they are a "team" they are looking out for their own interests; always first and foremost.

They are all "invited" (read commanded) to participate in an escape room challenge as a "team building" exercise. 

As an aside, can we all agree that team building exercises need to be eliminated from the corporate world?  No?  Just me?  Well, after this book I will be finding a reason to be excused from any and all team building exercises from here on out.

At any rate, they all show up (the fools) and crowd into the elevator - not realizing the elevator IS the escape room...until the lights go out and, as the hour grinds on - and is then exceeded, they begin to realize this is no ordinary escape room.  And that only one of them might make it out alive.

I put my seal of approval on this debut novel - I loved it.

So what are you reading these days?

10 comments:

  1. I read Ware's The Death of Mrs. Westaway and enjoyed it immensely. I'll look for her newest novel, so thanks for the recommendation. I picked up Daisy Jones and the Six which I've been told is a TV series, but I picked up the book not knowing that. I have yet to read beyond page one, BUT when I get a chance to read it I plan on enjoying it. How's that for positive thinking?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love seeing what other people are reading! I have really figured out who shares my taste in books, and when they recommend something, I generally like it as well. I am just finishing a book called In Every Mirror She's Black, and it is quite good. Suzanne had recommended The Glass Hotel to me and I LOVED it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I topped out on the mystery genre early on in my reading life. It was all I read all the time. Then I read a lot of history and nonfiction. Now I combine the two and read historical fiction or just really good period fiction (or good fiction, period?). Anyway, I'm deep into The Marriage Portrait, which everyone has already read, but it's so beautifully written that I'm going slowly and savouring it. Maggie O'Farrell is the best contemporary writer I've ever read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nance - I concur, Maggie O'Farrell is the best. I just finished Hamnet and it is my new fav. Now I want to check out the Marriage Portrait as well. So, not everyone has read it. ;)

      Delete
  4. I have enjoy Ruth Ware’s books so will add to my list. Also the Escape Room sounds good. Love reading book recommendations- I get a lit from Suzanne & Nicole as well

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another of the 'Discworld' series by Mr. Prachett. There are about forty of them and they keep being good reads.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait to read Escape Room!!! So glad you enjoyed It Girl, Gigi!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had it all in me to start to read again, but I've started writing something.... maybe nothing but am worried that if I read something I'll copy the style. Its currently just a stream of consciousness on four pages so really nothing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well since these came highly recommended by TWO of my blogger friends, I must look for the books. Thanks for sharing with us before you forgot about them. 😜

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't usually read mysteries. No idea why. These sound good. I used to really prefer historical fiction, but lately I gravitate towards non-fiction, specifially memoirs. I read Hamnet for book club and it is my new all-time favorite book. Outstanding. Maggie O'Farrell has a beautiful writing style.

    ReplyDelete