April 15, 2023

"NO WIRE SHELVING!"

 Quick - name what famous book/movie that had the above paraphrased line in it?  I have a feeling you will all know that answer.

This post is brought to you courtesy of Kari, who mentioned in the comments of my last post that her pantry has wire shelving and hinted at the fact she didn't like it. Me too, Kari, me too.  I hate it.

I imagine a great majority of us have that wire shelving tucked away into our pantries, closets and garages.  I also imagine that a great majority of us despise that wire shelving for many reasons.

Things fall through the slats, clothes that are stacked on them get "dents," most of the organizers sold are also wire shelving and they can't sit properly ON wire shelving, etc. - the list is endless.  But, here's why we all have them - they are cheaper than using wood.

A couple of years ago - not quite back at the beginning of the pandemic - I must have been cleaning out that stupid pantry once again and got fed up with the whole wire shelves experience and went about finding a solution.  My first thought was wood shelves.  That idea was quickly discarded.  Then I wondered about having planks cut to sit on top of the wire shelves.  But that idea was also quickly tossed.  The expense, and figuring out how to cut the wood to fit, etc.

After much pondering (yes, I spend quite a bit of my time pondering on little annoyances and how to fix them, if you were wondering), I finally hit upon the perfect solution (which I meant to blog about back then; but....life goes on and it must have slipped my mind).  I ordered some foam board and extra blades for the box cutter for curbside delivery.  I figured if this makeshift "fix" didn't work at least I wasn't out of a ton of money.

(As an aside - I LOVE curbside delivery and I hope it never, ever goes away.)

Once I got the board home, I set about measuring each shelf and cutting the foam board to fit.  And yes, those extra blades for the box cutter are necessary because that foam board will dull the blade a lot sooner than you think.  I know this because I ended up needing to order more blades.

Because of the length of the shelves, I used packing tape to keep the panels together and everything fit snugly in the "lip" of the shelves.  So nothing could shift.

And it all worked perfectly.  And, shockingly, that makeshift "fix" is still holding up a couple of years later.  And every time I have to reorganize that pantry (which is like laundry; never ending), I am so pleased that I have a steady, sturdy surface to work with.



So there you go - an easy and inexpensive fix to those dumb wire shelves.  Do you spend as much time as I do trying to figure out how to fix those nagging, little issues that plague you as much as I do?  (I doubt it)

18 comments:

  1. I have wire shelving in my laundry room. There is a wire hanging bar under the shelf, but it is interrupted at short intervals by another bar. Not sure I'm explaining that correctly, but basically it makes it difficult to slide clothes in either direction. I have to pick up the hangers and move them past the interfering wire/attached support thingie. I hate it, but I've grown accustomed to it.

    Your fix looks like a great, cost effective solution.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly what you mean - and there's not really a fix for it (that I can come up with anyway).

      Delete
  2. Hahahaha I recently replaced all my clothes hangers with velvet ones, and I kept thinking NO WIRE HANGERS in my mind!
    Anyway, you did a great job! What an excellent fix!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha - I did the same, Nicole when I replaced my hangers to the velvet ones. It IS a memorable line.

      Delete
  3. Wow! That is an ingenious solution! Go, you! I am the opposite. I just live with the issue until I pull all my hair out. Not the best way to deal, but it is the laziest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Suzanne - I won't lie, I just lived with it for years until I just couldn't take it anymore.

      Delete
  4. This is a great idea! So often the solutions to an ongoing problem can be so "obvious" (and easy/inexpensive), but it can take years and years of living with the sub-optimal situation to finally get around to solving it. So gold star for doing this, and I'm so glad it has held up so well, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Elisabeth - I'll take that gold star! I am utterly floored that it has held up this well for so long, particularly since we are in and out of that pantry all the time.

      Delete
  5. Clever, clever. What a good idea. I don't like wire shelving either-- and really dislike it when you remove it from closets and try to get rid of it. No one wants it, can't even give it to Habitat for Humanity. Goodwill won't take it. You have to pay for it to be taken away. Insert loud muttering...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew it was universally hated but had no idea it is SO universally hated that Goodwill and Habitat won't take it! That's good info to have in the event I ever actually replace the shelving (I won't).

      Delete
  6. I don't have any wire shelving except in the fridge, where it works just fine. I do like your solution, I would have probably just gotten some shelf paper and used that, which wouldn't work for long. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hopefully this is a much Joan Crawford you will channel.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Joan Crawford's daughter really did get her revenge in spades, didn't she? I never liked Joan Crawford before that, and I liked her much less after that.

    I have wire shelving in our closet at the lakehouse. It's not an issue, but we don't use it often enough to see it become one. I hope your solution proves to be long-lasting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a brilliant fix! I love your ingenuity!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great solution! I enjoy reading clever life hacks and this should definitely go on a list! Mona

    ReplyDelete
  11. Without knowing what this post was about, I said in my best Joan Crawford voice, "NO MORE WIRE SHELVING!" when I saw your title in my Feedly! 🤣
    Many granola bars have fallen through those shelves into the abyss as a result of those stupid wire shelves. Your solution is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So, yeah... I was actually going to suggest this. HA!!! I'm glad it's working for you still!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That was a very clever fix! I don't have wire shelving at this point in my life, but I did back in the day, before we owned a cabinetry company. No More Wire Hangers! One of my favorite movies. LOL!

    ReplyDelete