July 8, 2023

Book Review: The Girl on the Porch by Richard Chizmar

 The basic premise of this novel intrigued me - a doorbell rings insistently in the middle of the night.  By the time the homeowner gets to the door; whoever rang the bell is gone.  Meanwhile next door, the Tucker's, sleep blissfully and unaware of the events unfolding.  

Until the next morning, when they learn about what happened next door and decide to look at the security camera they had installed a while back.  It seems a terrified young woman with a shackle hanging from her wrist had also been at their door that night...but their doorbell has been broken for months.

I really enjoyed this book, and I think you might too.  The writing is well done, the plot is solid, etc.  My only nit?  It clocks in at only 150 pages.  I read this book in just under two hours.  I am adding it to my Books I Love Enough to Tell You About list is because I wanted to love it - and would have if  had the story been drawn out just a little bit more; which I think could have been easily done as it left a few questions unanswered - which would have been perfect for fleshing out the story.

That being said, if you are looking for a quick and easy suspense novel, this one is solid.  I just wish it were a bit longer.

13 comments:

  1. There's something nice about a really short book, though! I am saying this after reading a few that were a couple hundred pages too long, in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I agree - but not when it's a suspense novel (usually) because you need the time to build the suspense.

      Delete
  2. I always enjoy reading someone's book review. I get to learn about good reads this way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree - I adore seeing what everyone else is reading and what new title might spark my interest.

      Delete
  3. That book sounds interesting! I think it is better to have a book be too short than too long! Sometimes the author really can drag out a story that does not warrant the amount of time spent on it! I would rather be left wanting, although neither one is ideal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, some can go on for far too long. This one just left me wanting a little bit more, otherwise it was perfect.

      Delete
  4. I'll have to check this one out! Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You haven't steered me wrong yet, Gigi! Adding this one to my list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crossing my fingers that this one also works for you!

      Delete
  6. This sounds so compelling. I don't read with any real speed, so I might be happy to be able to whip through this one in lightening speed, but it does sound like the author could've done more with it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. Sounds like an intriguing story, but weird it's so short. Could fit the bill for a beach or pool day though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, That does sound intriguing. Now that I'm using our library, I'll have to literally check it out! Mona

    ReplyDelete