July 21, 2023

Office News

 I don't think I've mentioned it here on the blog; but the company has sold our building and we will be moving - most likely, sometime this fall.

As you might imagine, this has caused quite a bit of angst among the rank and file employees.  Wondering how much our commute might change (not much, we are moving two buildings down), the thought of moving to another building that we (as a company) don't own, learning that we will only have two floors instead of the four we currently enjoy, so how will we all fit?, parking (this lot is going to be a challenge for sure) etc.  Not to mention, the mere thought of having to deal with all the stuff (not to mention all the paper files) that has accumulated throughout this building in the last twenty-six years.  And it's a LOT, and I'm just speaking about our tiny department.  I know the amount of stuff that has accumulated at my desk alone in the past twenty-one years I've been with the company is hefty.

The news came down that once we are out the new owners plan to demolish the building.  This was kind of shocking to me.  I never really admired our building's architecture but, this building has been here since we moved to North Carolina (fun fact, this building was finished and the company moved into it the exact same year that we moved here), so it will be sad to see it reduced to rubble.

But I understand, the property is valuable and the cost of renovating a twenty-six year old building would be outrageous.

At any rate, I have been boxing up files (SO.MANY.FILES!) to be sent to retention; as I have been informed, that we will not have the same storage capacity in the new space (my poor arms are covered in bruises from assembling the boxes and carrying loads of files).  Lucky for our department, because of the merger/buyout/transaction (whatever you want to call it) back in 2015 most of our files, not counting contract files, were already gone.  And even though we have a group that has come in to assist with this arduous chore, I asked that they let me deal with the contract files; simply because I want to know exactly what the box numbers are for each of the files; in the event I need to have something brought out of storage...and I know that having that in my back pocket will come in handy someday in the not too distant future.

Earlier this week, the powers that be, sent out a couple of short videos giving us a sneak peek into our new space.  And while it looks very nice and modern, it is also very open.  And, if that rendering was true to life, it seems we may be sitting right on top of each other; I am already hearing concerns about privacy and confidentiality.  But, as management rushes to say, every time these concerns are brought up, there will be "phone booths" and meeting rooms.  I have a feeling those "phone booths" and meeting rooms will always be booked, and then poor Debbie, who needs to have a private conversation with her doctor, is out of luck.

In addition to the short video renderings, a link to an article about adapting to an open office floor plan was included.  And I have to say, whoever thought that linking that particular article was a good idea, obviously didn't read it.

The first half of the article discussed how much employees (the rank and file that don't merit offices, of course) hate it and how much productivity was lost; the second half of the article discussed ways to work around the obstacles that come with an open office concept; all of which were ridiculous.  So, yeah - that was soothing (not).

We shall see how this all works out, I suppose.  In the meantime, I'll be over here boxing up files and sifting through years of stuff.

16 comments:

  1. This doesn't sound great. Open concept offices are the antithesis of getting things done. On the other hand boxing up files is what I'd call actual work. Keep on keeping on, but my sympathies are with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If the purpose behind all of this is to have a "pretty" office space; then they have succeeded. How it will work out in real life remains to be seen.

      Delete
  2. It sounds like a huge change, but I really hope it will all work out. Change is inevitable, but this seems extreme.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, change is inevitable. It will take some getting used to and some workarounds as we figure it all out.

      Delete
  3. I've gone through a couple of job-related moves over the years, and they were incredibly stressful, so I understand what you're going through! Both times, important things got lost, and employees were exhausted from the physical labor as well as still having to continue doing their usual work. I mean...you have bruises! That's extreme! I wish you all the best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow this sounds like a huge undertaking! And the open office plan. ICK. We moved from a cubicles-and-offices plans to an open floor plan (like, with the boss sitting right alongside us) at my last job, and it was something else. One thing that did help was that more of the staff were granted additional work-from-home days, so maybe that's something you can aim for!

    Hopefully the change will be an overall good one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can almost guarantee that any of the management will be tucked into offices. I've got my fingers crossed on the work from home; but given that generally we only have to go in two days a week now, I don't think that will change...unless the situation becomes untenable.

      Delete
  5. Wow. That's a big change. How crazy that whoever selected that aritcle must NOT have read it first. What on earth? Someone is not very detial oriented. You, on the other hand, are definitely the one I'd want in charge of a move. Good idea to take charge of ordering the files that you might want to get your hands on one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot comprehend how they thought article was helpful...at all. I wonder how many times I'll automatically drive to the old office first before I remember that we aren't there anymore.

      Delete
  6. There is so much research that shows this is the worst style of office configuration but yet...companies continue to push for it? And "break-out" rooms also require people to constantly pack up and move their gear. So unproductive. Sigh. Hoping things even out quickly, but I suspect it will be a rocky transition for many people. Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm just remembering the year I spent in the Open Concept as a classroom teacher. Four different classes in a huge open area. It was not only ridiculous but incredibly distracting for everyone. I still don't understand the motivation/research behind this dumb idea--in any setting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yikes. This doesn't sound fun at all. Hopefully things will be better than anticipated. (Forever Pollyanna, here) Thanks for helping me to picture an old school Phone Booth in the middle of your office. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ugh! I hope everything at the new building is way better than you expect. And I hope you adjust quickly to an open floor plan.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Change is definitely hard and I think the open vs non-open plan does have more success within certain industries. However, if you do need privacy on a regular basis for meetings or whatnot, it is a bit of a pain to have to relocate every time you need to have a meeting. However, I do think some people are only against it because it means that they will now be more visible and so therefore they have to behave themselves a little more. I think there are ups and downs to it for sure though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. perhaps it will fall into the usual cycle of new things: 'panic' < "adaption" < 'the new norm" < 'wouldn't have it any other way" or so I hope

    ReplyDelete
  12. The PO is notorious for wasted real estate. One of the things that every postmaster, or at least the last 4? 5?, has been how to get us all in one building, perforable the one up the street we own (that currently houses 3 employees) as opposed to the one we currently lease for $1M/year that houses 50+ employees a day (plus trucks and employee cars) Blueprints have been drawn, tear downs and additions have been discussed, everything right down to building a sky walk over the busy road out front to allow us to get from the parking lot across the street to work safely. All I know is I'll be long retired before it happens, and we will have already outgrown the space they created a year before it's finished. Sadly it's still a better plan that the Post Master General's idea of making "hubs" that would close all offices within a 45 minute drive, making us commute an hour to load a truck, drive an hour back to town to deliver, drive an hour back to the hub, and another hour home. *sigh* Good luck with your move.

    ReplyDelete