October 5, 2024

Not a real post but THE Best Chocolate Cake Ever

The kids were coming over today to celebrate S's birthday...his 30th birthday - how did that child get so old??

So I decided to make a chocolate cake with a chocolate ganache.

Friends, that ganache had me worried.  There's something about heating cream (or milk) on the stove that makes me nervous.  I'd never made ganache before and I was seeing all these warnings about how finicky it can be.  Those people are liars.  It was super easy.

The cake itself I wasn't worried about because I've made it before and it has always turned out perfectly and today was no exception.

When I tell you this is the best chocolate cake ever; I am not even kidding.  It is the most moist and delicious cake that I have ever had the pleasure to eat.  In fact, I've seriously given consideration to giving up any other future cake endeavors in favor of this one (not really). 

So today, I figured I'd share the recipe.

Without further ado -

Chocolate Layer Cake

Ingredients:

1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
2 cups granulated sugar
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp kosher salet
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 large eggs - room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup hot freshly brewed coffee

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Spray two round cakes pans with non-stick cooking spray.

In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt.  In a medium bowl, whisk together buttermilk, vegetable oil, eggs and vanilla.  Slowly add the buttermilk mixture to the dry ingredients just until incorporated.  The slowly beat in the hot fee until incorporated.

Pour the batter into the cake pans and bake for 35 minutes.

Original recipe found here.

I have made this cake with a peanut butter frosting (SO good), a raspberry cream cheese frosting and now with the ganache - and it hasn't failed me yet.  In fact, I'm already planning to use this recipe to make cupcakes for the cul-de-sac Fall block party later this month.  My only conundrum - what type of frosting.


This cake is so darn good - I even posted a
picture to Instagram (who am I?!)

Any suggestions for future frosting?  Do you have a fail safe cake recipe that has never let you down?  If not, you can have this one.

16 comments:

  1. I am such a pushover for chocolate cake. This one sounds and looks delicious. And yes, ganache is super easy to make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so good and this recipe has never let me down. Let me know what you think if you try it.

      Delete
  2. This looks DIVINE! I always think coffee in a chocolate recipe makes the difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kari. The coffee does enhance the flavor of the chocolate! And, I think, is partly what makes this cake so moist.

      Delete
  3. It looks absolutely fabulous. I will take your word for it, though. It's too much sugar for this old granny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a lot of sugar; but I only make cake for special occasions so I indulge fairly infrequently.

      Delete
  4. I don't think you can improve upon peanut butter and chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No you cannot beat a chocolate and peanut butter pairing - and the peanut butter frosting noted in the original recipe is perfection. Sadly, my daughter in law is allergic to nuts so the occasions to make the peanut butter frosting are few and far between. Maybe, I'll use that as the frosting for the block party!

      Delete
  5. I am all for chocolate cake especially the best one; thank you for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Can't wait to hear what you think if you try it.

      Delete
  6. This recipe sounds amazing! My kids love chocolate cake but I rarely make it, so this is the perfect "excuse!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chocolate cake is a treat. Hope the kids enjoy it!

      Delete
  7. What a glowing endorsement. It sounds amazing. Coffee? Hot brewed coffee? I've never seen that in a recipe. I like to bake and I make things like Rocky Road Fudge Bars and Cherry Dessert, but I am somewhat embarrassed to admit - I am a box cake, store bought frosting kinda gal when a cake is needed. So, I'm the wrong person to ask about frosting. Also, maybe this recipe will be the one that becomes a go-to for my people and their birthdays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The coffee really enhances the chocolate flavor. Nothing wrong with a boxed cake mix and store bought frosting. But really making it from scratch isn't that difficult or time consuming. Let me know if you try it for your people.

      Delete
  8. I wish I could say that I have a fail safe cake but I don't. Therefore I'm taking this one. Adding coffee to any chocolate cake is inspired.

    ReplyDelete