October 1, 2024

Western North Carolina - a horrific tragedy

 As many of you have surely heard by now; Western North Carolina was practically wiped out by Hurricane Helene.

The damage is mind blowing.  Who would have thought that a hurricane would strike up in the mountains that are at least 4-5 hours inland?

From what I'm hearing all roads in and out of the areas are closed - because they've either been washed away, are covered in mudslides, etc.

My bonus daughter and her partner live in the Asheville area - we've heard they are safe and fine; their house is undamaged but they don't have water.  And were told it may take three weeks to have the water restored.  Cell service is extremely spotty, so we don't always have a way to contact them.  We've told them to come here - if they can find a way out - but they are worried about leaving their house as the unsavory side of human nature has come into play as people are looting.

After several days, they were finally able to get to a grocery store so they have food.  But the one problem they have run into is they need cash.  None of the open stores are accepting payment by card (I assume because of lack electricity, lack of internet connections, etc.)  So that is something to tuck away in the back of your mind - when a natural disaster is looming (apparently now, no matter where you live) make sure you have plenty of cash on hand.  This would have never occurred to me before.

I read in the paper this morning that supplies are being airlifted into the affected areas and that supplies are also being brought in on mules.  Yes, you read that right.  The roads are in such horrific shape that only mules are able to pick their way through.

The thing is the news seems to be focusing on Asheville and other well known cities - but there are countless small towns that are completely cut off from EVERYTHING.  I was reading about one small town where the only way in or out is via a bridge.  A bridge that was swept away during the storm.

My heart hurts for all these people.  We don't even know yet if all the survivors have been rescued.

I saw pictures of the campus where my son went to college - the whole town was under water and there were sink holes all over the place.

Please keep the people in Western North Carolina in your prayers.  And, if you are able, please donate to the Red Cross to help them dig out and start over.


21 comments:

  1. Shocking how it could hit that area ( geographically). I can’t even imagine what they are going through and of course assistance can’t get there soon enough. The footage is unbelievable! - Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It IS shocking. I've seen comments along the lines of "they should have been prepared." Oh please, they've never had to deal with this kind of weather and devastation; how could they have possibly been prepared?!

      Delete
  2. It is devastating.These storms become so violent so quickly. My sister lives in SC and she said that they're always told to brace for impact but this hit so much harder than ANYONE expected. My sister had two big trees come down right beside their house but amazingly, neither actually hit their house. The old neighbourhood where they used to live is completely under water. The pictures she has been sending me look...apocalyptic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is apocalyptic. I'm so glad to hear your sister and her family are safe!

      Delete
  3. I saw footage of Chimney Rock and the surrounding area, places I had visited years before. The devastation was horrifying. This was a completely unprecedented event. I'm glad you were able to contact your people and found them to be safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are so grateful that our people are safe and beyond horrified at the absolute destruction.

      Delete
  4. Oh Gigi, I am so glad your bonus daughter and partner are okay. What a horrific tragedy. I never would have thought about the cash thing -- thank you for passing that on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily they were able to get cash yesterday. I would have never thought of that before either - we are just so dependent on our credit/debit cards.

      Delete
  5. It is such a tragedy and I've looked at maps and I just don't understand how any of it was possible! But here we are. So much loss of life and the destruction of so many homes and historic places. I'm happy your family members are safe and hope they continue to remain so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Engie. We are incredibly grateful particularly after hearing some of the stories coming out of the region that didn't end well.

      Delete
  6. I'm so relieved to hear you're all okay, but the devastation I've seen from down there is truly overwhelming. I can’t believe how bad it’s gotten, and with hurricane season just beginning, it's hard to imagine what’s ahead. If you hear of any organizations providing support, please let us know up here so we can help and spread the word through our blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is overwhelming Kari. And I understand there's another storm out there brewing. Everything I'm hearing is to donate money; not stuff because stuff requires logistic planning, storage, manpower, etc. I recommend the Red Cross.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been praying for the survivors and families; this is the type of devastation that is unfathomable. I'd read about the Mules. Do you remember in the last few years that people are not accepting CASH at a lot of establishments? Like they're trying to do away with cash and that is ridiculous. This right here proves that point. I'm glad you are ok and sending up lots of prayers for those who aren't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Suz. As I'm sure you are aware, hurricanes can be absolutely devasting. To be that far above sea-level; not expecting to get hit. Heartbreaking. Entire towns are just...GONE.

      Delete
  9. It's been hard to see all the destruction. I think maybe a few more people might now believe in climate change!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I cannot wrap my head around the amount of the destruction in, of all places, NC. It makes me sad, knowing that these people now have to rebuild their lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the coast in NC; yes, we can understand that. In the MOUNTAINS?! That is inconceivable.

      Delete
  11. We always have cash when storms are looming and never rely on apps, rather actual weather reports, when storm season comes. Noreasters can be more deadly that hurricanes here simply because people just don't take them as serious. Blizzards are always on the mind here as well , but honestly just ice can knock out power here for weeks. This, we've all learned the hard way to have water, cash, gasoline and extra blankets on hand from October to March. Oldest's friend lives in Ashville, she is supposed to come here this week, not sure if that's happening now. She's okay, but getting out is an issue. Glad you guys are okay, it's a horrific state of affairs for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know well the dangers of an ice storm; we are located in an area that gets more ice than snow due to being just a tad further south. And through all the ice storms, hurricanes, etc., we have never had wide-spread outages - so the cash aspect never even occurred to me before.

      Delete
  12. What a nightmare. I cannot imagine. To be that far inland and have that happen? How horrid. I would never have thought about the need for cash. I'm glad bonus daughter is safe. Looters? Good grief. Enough already with the people taking advantage of people in dire circumstances.

    ReplyDelete