October 15, 2024

Puzzling

 I admit it, I'm usually a sucker for a puzzle.  But this particular puzzle?  I've despised from day one.

Let's back up.  I started this puzzle last year, prior to Christmas.  I never did finish, because Christmas snuck up on me and I had to dismantle the puzzle (I've got to invest in one of those mats that allow you to roll up with unfinished puzzle and put it away) in large sections (to keep from starting from scratch) so that the guest room bed would be accessible to the Newlyweds when they stayed over Christmas Eve.

Earlier this week, I finally pulled the puzzle back out and once again set out to finish the puzzle as I need something to pass the time (and, apparently, house keeping isn't it) now that I'm unemployed.  And guess what?  This time around, I hated this puzzle even more.

After much thought was given (while poring over the damn thing) I came to the conclusion that this puzzle didn't have discernable facial features (other than eyes) and the there was barely a discernable difference between the color variations.

In sum, it was frustrating.

So, I am happy to report that I finally finished the stupid puzzle....



Only to be faced with this...



A leftover piece that doesn't belong (or is a duplicate).  Infuriating.

I guess I now need to find a new, less infuriating puzzle to do.  Or embrace house keeping (which, quite frankly, needs to be done but still isn't ranking high on my list of quality "Passing the Time" list.).

4 comments:

  1. We did a New Yorker puzzle, a different one, and the same thing happened. Infuriating, but also so freaking weird.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Puzzles seem inherently stressful to me. I avoid anything more than 300 pieces, but really...anything over 100 pieces is likely to frustrate me. Life's too short to do crappy puzzles, so take this as my permission to pass along any puzzle you hate in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't do these kinds of puzzles because they also stress me out. And now I wonder if there is someone missing that piece!

    ReplyDelete
  4. AN EXTRA PIECE?!?!?! Omg!!!! But congrats on finishing -- that puzzle looks extremely challenging. So much of the same color and the pieces seem very small! I am not a puzzler. They drive me nuts. But my husband loves puzzles. However, he started a puzzle shortly after we moved into this house... and it is still on the puzzle table, 75% finished.

    ReplyDelete