September 7, 2013

Putting the cart before the horse...because that's what I do best.

I was out running errands today when Hubby called.  Apparently, someone called about the house and wants to see it on Monday.  Which is when my mind went into overdrive.

With all the things that need to be done before we show it AND, more importantly, with what we are going to do if these people actually buy it.  Hence, putting the cart before the horse.

We've already determined that we will rent something while we figure out our next move.  Great.  That means there are at least TWO moves in my future.  But the thought of coordinating the sale of this one and finding and buying something else makes Hubby's head explode and since I don't have the time or the inclination to deal with head explosions, I'll just have to deal with the two moves.

But since even before the house was on the market, I've been scouting around.  And here is what I've determined regarding renting; other than an apartment or a town home (maybe), we will probably be shelling out about the same amount of cash that we are currently paying on our mortgage.  And?  Those houses are teeny-tiny houses that are ancient.  But what disturbs me more?

The lack of decent, affordable housing for sale in the areas we want to live.  I don't have a problem living within the city limits - but Hubby does because of the taxes.  He tells me (and I guess I have to believe him since I don't understand it all) that we can afford "more" house in the county.  And I don't mind living in the county, as long as it's the northwest part of the county.  The other parts of the county are just not negotiable for me (don't ask me why, it just is.  Plus all of our friends - that we never see - are out here).

I wouldn't mind looking at existing neighborhoods - but Hubby seems hell bent on building again.  He is convinced that we will never find exactly what we want.  I'm fine with building BUT I want to live in a neighborhood again (currently, we kind of live in between neighborhoods without actually fitting into either one).

And here is what I've discovered about this part of the county.  The only new neighborhoods are only building McMansions at ridiculous prices.  Even if I could afford a McMansion, I don't want one.  Basically, it's just the two of us.  We don't NEED a McMansion and I certainly don't want to clean one.  That's one of the reasons we are selling this one - which isn't a McMansion - it is just bigger than what we need.

And then today, I thought I hit the mother lode.  It was PERFECT.  There were brand new homes and lots for sale in what seemed to be a reasonably priced neighborhood.  The houses didn't look overly large or ostentatious.  The neighborhood was what I would call "quaint".  Although, the lawns were rather small - which would be a problem for Hubby but was one I could overlook.  None of the lots or houses had those info boxes that carry flyers with all the details about the house; so when I came home I Googled them.  And guess what?

That house, the one that looked smaller than the house I currently live in?  The one with the teeny-tiny postage stamp of a lawn?  I almost had a heart attack when I saw the list price; it was FAR more than what we are asking for our house - which is bigger and sits on nearly an acre.

I'm thinking either a) we need to re-think this moving thing or b) we need to up the asking price for this house.

So, in a nutshell, I am panicking over where we are going to go - after we move into a rental somewhere to plot our next move - before we have even shown the house to the first person whose shown an interest.

I'm insane.

6 comments:

  1. I think we were separated at birth. There is just no other explanation possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those ginormous asking prices doesn't mean they will actually sell for that, they are just that... the asking price. It never hurts to ask!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If those people jump at the house and offer you the full asking price, you definitely could be asking for more money. Sheesh! What a predicament! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my gosh I am so glad I read this. Now I know you are normal!!! And I can be myself around you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Breathe.

    Go get some ice cream.

    Worrying about it is like wishing for bad things to happen.

    It will be fine.

    So long as the ice cream has whipped cream and a cherry. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think just about every other woman can understand where you are coming from.
    Take a deep breath and grab some ice cream. It will all work out in the end! xo

    ReplyDelete