This evening when I logged in, one of the first posts I read was from my friend, DJan, in which she shared the fix and that one of her blogging buddies had sent her a post with the fix. I am in turn sharing the fix with you (the original fix is linked back on that last link).
Basically, go into Blogger Settings. Chose the Email Option. Delete your email. Click Save. Add your email back in; click save. You should then receive an email from Blogger that looks like this; only with your information, of course.
I had tried this method in the early days of the "crisis" on the recommendation from someone on Twitter - minus the subscription email information. It did not work - I never received the subscription email.
But when I tried it again tonight I DID receive the email and subscribed, so now here's where the rubber meets the road. I am going to hit post and see what happens.
I am feeling confident that this is the fix.
UPDATE - it does!!