August 5, 2023

84, Charing Cross Road - A Book Review

 I  have absolutely NO idea where I stumbled across this little gem, 84, Charing Cross Road by Helene Hanff - was it Suzanne, Nicole or just some obscure corner of the Internet?  I guess we will never know.  But I did and I loved it.

Sometimes, I will come across a title that just sounds intriguing and I will place a hold at the library with barest of information about what the book might be about.  This was one of those titles.

When this book finally made it's way to me, I discovered it was a novel comprised of business letters between a free-lance writer living in New York and a used book dealer located in London beginning in 1945.  Which, at first blush, had me wondering if this would be of any interest at all to me.

What I discovered in between the pages was so sweet and utterly charming - as the relationship between the two letter writers blossomed into a friendship over the years that eventually led to a friendship between the family of the businessman in London and the writer and then grew again to include others in the businessman's orbit as the letters crossed the ocean - including business correspondence along with the sharing of personal, happy news and also of sad news.

It's a very short - and satisfying read (most of you know, I generally prefer longer novels); clocking in at about 100 pages; I read it in one sitting and loved every single page and all of the characters.

13 comments:

  1. Oooohh! Interesting topic! This was not a recommendation from me, alas. But sounds intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could have sworn that whoever recommended it was someone I "knew."

      Delete
  2. I just went to my library website and put a hold for this one. Thanks! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I adore 84, Charing Cross Road! Though I don't remember mentioning it recently, so I don't think you heard about it from me. You should look for the follow-up book, The Duchess of Bloomsbury Street, which is a diary-entry book of when she finally gets to go to England. It's both amusing and moving. I've read and enjoyed other things she wrote, but these two are far and away my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not know there was a follow up, thank you!

      Delete
  4. I think you will really enjoy it, Nicole!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have kept in correspondence with the woman in charge of the choir back in 2005 when I lived in Michigan. I always planned on returning and never did. She recently retired. At one point in our emails I mentioned we have a Charing Cross road type relationship.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe one day, you will have a chance to go back. It's always nice to keep up with old friends.

      Delete
  6. This sounds like a delightful novel. I'll keep it in mind. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds like a good book. I did a double take because I have a friend who lives on Charing Cross Road. How funny.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There was a movie of the same name made from that book in 1987, starring Anthony Hopkins and Anne Bancroft. I think it was well received. Perhaps still available on DVD somewhere?

    ReplyDelete